Basic 6 / 9 Hour Rule Question

Hi All.

Im not a new driver but thanks to the CPC and other drivers chat and a manager that doesnt know what hes on about, ive ended up confused but think I know what im on about. However for peace of mind id like to ask the question.

My regular run is under 4.5 hrs driving unless men with cones give me a bad night.

So if I have 15 mins at 5.45 to 6.00hrs assume, for the example I start at 0000 does this clear me till 0900 where id need another 15 mins.

I know some companies like you to have 30 mins for your 6 hour rule but im told this is company policy and not law.

Hope someone sees what im on about.

That 15 min would clear you till 12.00 but if working less then 9 hrs then you would need another break of 15 mins before finishing work and if more than 9 hrs then you would need a break of 30 mins, breaks will not count if right at the beginning or end of shift they must be interrupted by at least a minutes work.

You cannot work more than 6 hrs without taking at least a 15 min break.

There is no 15 min break rule for 9 hours

There is a rule which states that at least 15 mins must be taken before 6 hours work (driving + other work) is exceeded at any point in a shift so doing 6 hours drive/work then having 15 mins is ok

There are rules for the total amount of break that must be taken if the work in a shift is X amount …
30 mins total if work in a shift is between 6 and 9 hours
45 mins total if work in a shift is over 9 hours

That’s it

Thanks guys. I thought I was on the correct lines, but you know what its like when a gaggle of drivers all answer at the same time with differing variants.

You will hear this a lot. The following is a direct quote from GV262. Stick to this and you’ll be good.

Breaks:
– Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
– If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a
break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
– If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.
– Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

Terry T:
You will hear this a lot. The following is a direct quote from GV262. Stick to this and you’ll be good.

Breaks:
– Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
– If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a
– If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

It a good quote from 262 but it would be better done this away …

Breaks:

OR