Bartrums road services diss norfolk

has anybody got any bartrums road services photos circa 1960s and 70s [ erf mercedes tk bedfords] cheers

My dad drove there when they had 86’s and F7’s, and Seddon’s, these are the only pics he could find for me, i know theyre not quite old enough for you, but theyre quite old
Taken somewhere in the middle/north of Scotland apparently

Hello Stoney 03, I have a few of Bartrums photos in my collection, most are later than you wanted except for one, a LAD cabbed Leyland super comet reg. no.418 KRT pulling a four-in-line Guinness Malt bulker. I can’t make out the location but in the background there is a Bartrum’s Leyland Octupus and I would guess the picture dates from the late 50s or early 60s.
On e-bay a few weeks ago there was an S type Bedford also coupled to a malt trailer but I was outbid,I think it made around a fiver. I am always looking for photos of East Anglian haulage companies but years ago blokes didn’t carry cameras. I didn’t carry one untill the late 70s,and even then hardly ever used it.
I used to know a lot of Bartrum’s drivers as I was on general haulage for Perfects of Yarmouth for 37 years and we did the same type of work and also had nights out with them especially Newark and The Farm Cafe, so it is more than likely I knew your dad. Anyway I will try and get a copy of the Leyland and get it to you via a private message. I really must learn how to put pictures on here,I’ve got hundreds. Regards,Haddy,Gt.Yarmouth.

Hi Haddy, can you recall Marlow Knights who used to do market work to London for Bartrums? his son chris was trailer mate for me on Wyatts and i am still in touch with Chris today he lives down near Leighton Buzzard now

LB76:
Hi Haddy, can you recall Marlow Knights who used to do market work to London for Bartrums? his son chris was trailer mate for me on Wyatts and i am still in touch with Chris today he lives down near Leighton Buzzard now

Hello LB76, I can’t remember him and to be honest I can’'t remember Bartrums doing market work, It was probably a bit before my time. I started on an O type Bedford in 1964 aged 17 but only did local work for a couple of years - sugar beet into cantley, bricks out of railway trucks,fertilizer, cattle etc. Anyway I knew several good old boys from Bartrums over the years but can’t recall many names except for Lenny Lander, Billy ( Jock ) Rankin , Budgie, Mick ? BJ, and in later years Terry Thiel, and Dave both from Wymondham. Another that springs to mind is Fred who would leave Diss each morning, tip malt at Guinnesss Park Royal then back to Watling’s maltings at Yarmouth, load and run home. My wife worked in the cafe near Yarmouth bridge in those days just around the corner from Watlings and Fred would go in there for his tea every day at the same time, you could set your watch by him, well almost. Regards,Haddy.

Hope you like this one i have a few more some where

haddy:
Hello Stoney 03, I have a few of Bartrums photos in my collection, most are later than you wanted except for one, a LAD cabbed Leyland super comet reg. no.418 KRT pulling a four-in-line Guinness Malt bulker. I can’t make out the location but in the background there is a Bartrum’s Leyland Octupus and I would guess the picture dates from the late 50s or early 60s.
On e-bay a few weeks ago there was an S type Bedford also coupled to a malt trailer but I was outbid,I think it made around a fiver. I am always looking for photos of East Anglian haulage companies but years ago blokes didn’t carry cameras. I didn’t carry one untill the late 70s,and even then hardly ever used it.
I used to know a lot of Bartrum’s drivers as I was on general haulage for Perfects of Yarmouth for 37 years and we did the same type of work and also had nights out with them especially Newark and The Farm Cafe, so it is more than likely I knew your dad. Anyway I will try and get a copy of the Leyland and get it to you via a private message. I really must learn how to put pictures on here,I’ve got hundreds. Regards,Haddy,Gt.Yarmouth.

thanks haddy i have the photo of 418 KRT i am sure its at tivitshall they had a small yard on rectory road , its late 50s early 60s if you go on the
bartrum group website they have a slide show of some old trucks , cheers to everybody who replyed

haddy:

LB76:

Hello LB76, I can’t remember him and to be honest I can’'t remember Bartrums doing market work, It was probably a bit before my time. I started on an O type Bedford in 1964 aged 17 but only did local work for a couple of years - sugar beet into cantley, bricks out of railway trucks,fertilizer, cattle etc. Anyway I knew several good old boys from Bartrums over the years but can’t recall many names except for Lenny Lander, Billy ( Jock ) Rankin , Budgie, Mick ? BJ, and in later years Terry Thiel, and Dave both from Wymondham. Another that springs to mind is Fred who would leave Diss each morning, tip malt at Guinnesss Park Royal then back to Watling’s maltings at Yarmouth, load and run home. My wife worked in the cafe near Yarmouth bridge in those days just around the corner from Watlings and Fred would go in there for his tea every day at the same time, you could set your watch by him, well almost. Regards,Haddy.

hi haddy the chap who did the daily park royal run was fred youll from diss i think his john still works at bartrums as a transport manager after driving
for them for a long time. fred was a really nice man. regards stoney 03

stoney03:
has anybody got any bartrums road services photos circa 1960s and 70s [ erf mercedes tk bedfords] cheers

Hello StoneyO3, there is a nice photo of a Bartrum’s S reg Volvo 290 on page 117 of “Scrapbook Memories” taken on Gordano Services. I don’t know if you are familiar with this site it is brilliant , there are several East Anglian motors on there too. Regards, Haddy, Gt. Yarmouth.

haddy:

stoney03:

Hello StoneyO3, there is a nice photo of a Bartrum’s S reg Volvo 290 on page 117 of “Scrapbook Memories” taken on Gordano Services. I don’t know if you are familiar with this site it is brilliant , there are several East Anglian motors on there too. Regards, Haddy, Gt. Yarmouth.

cheers haddy nice one stoney03

Possibly the end of the road for this old girl!

is the last picture the same company as it says batrums not bartrums did it change ?

JAMIE10:
is the last picture the same company as it says batrums not bartrums did it change ?

It say’s BARTRUMS on the roof. Must have been a bad day for the signwriter. Reminds me of when Lancashire County Council painted SOTP on a road junction near us

JAMIE10:

If you look closely Jamie the door is slightly open, probably due to the impact, thus obscuring the letter R regards, Haddy.

yes see that know thanks for help

stoney03:
:sunglasses:

Hello again Stoney, there’s a chap from Kings Lynn who has a massive collection of photos of Norfolk lorries old and new and this week he called in to see me as he was on holiday near here. He brought his photos and left them here all week for me to look at and copy if I wished. I copied about 150, some at home, some at Asda and had forgotten about some of the old companies, to be honest I was like a dog with 2 dicks. Anyway there was a few of Bartrums, mostly newish motors, but I copied 2 oldies, one was of two “S Type” Bedfords parked in the yard and the other was a T reg “F86” next to a T reg “F7”. I have a feeling this picture was taken because it was the last “F 86” and the first “F 7” they bought as there was a bloke in a suit standing next to them. Of course I could be wrong. Oh, I nearly forgot, another one I copied is of the “301” Seddon-Atkinson pulling the trombone trailer, I think the Irish boy drove it from new. Regards, Haddy.

Dont just tell us about it fella, post em up.