Barrow in furness to workinton

as the title guys whats the best route…is tghere any restrictions on the a595 running up the coast or am i better returning to the m6 then upto penrith etc…advice greatly appreciated

I’ve done that run up the coast before, but it was many moons ago in a tanker so height was never gonna be an issue. Tbh I’m not familiar enough with the area to advise with absolut confidence, but back to
Penrith will put a lot of time and miles on the job.

No low bridges on the coast road just a couple of pinch points where you don’t want to meet anything bigger than a car. It is 54 miles versus 104 by M6 but only a bit quicker but definitely more scenic>

smashing thanks for the info guys …scenic route it is then :slight_smile:

Hi, I live near Barrow and drive most of this coast route by car every day. the answer is defo go via Penrith. Doing the coast by artic is a strain on your nerves, diesel tank, clutch, gears, brakes and tyres. Pity the Burridge motors that have to do it regular. Nice run over Shap on the M6, then stunning scenery along the A66 direct to Workington, very little extra time overall. Much better route unless you like squeezing past other artics, driving through farmyards, stopping and starting on 1 in 7’s etc. Calling the 595 an A road is a bit of a joke round here.

hate the a 595 with a passion we deliver gas to millom hospital lost my mirrors the other week avoid llike the plague

if you aint up there often do it
whilst you have the chance
as long as the weathers with you

Yeah the 595 is the better route without going silly miles out of your way when you go between the two farm houses you will be thinking WTF used to get up there a bit only did that route about 3 or 4 times but used to do Millom nearly every week.

If you have a lot of weight on and it’s been raining there is a couple of parts where you could have trouble getting up,steep hills with sharp bends at the foot of them so no chance of getting a run up at them,personally I’d go via M6…also the little village (bootle I think) can be real fun if you meet another artic coming the opposite way,blind bends with houses literally on the edge of the road,no pavements.
This is Bootle,and yes this is a two way road,I always seems ed to meet something coming the other way…