"Barnsley and Beyond" Model Trucking Through The Decades

holydiver:

paul motyka:
0holydiver.
Hi great models mate.Did you do a model of Butlers S80 6 wheeler tipper I have seen.

Thanks Paul, no not me

OK mate,thanks for replying.
Not sure if you know but Butlers were from Maltby,spent many happy hours in the late 60’s early 70’s riding in s Foden S36 with the Gardner 150 in.

One from Barnsley and beyond - Brook Motors Thames Trader artic van. This outfit replaced an older one using a Bedford OSS tractor and a smaller version of this trailer. It made twice-daily trips between the three factories in Huddersfield, Honley and Barugh Green (Barnsley), carrying components and sub-assemblies of the large electric motors and control gear that the company made. Merged with Cromptons in the 1970s, and taking over other companies such as Parkinson and the electric motor division of Hawker Siddeley, the Brook-Crompton Holding Company is now Singapore-based, with operations around the world, although only the Huddersfield works survives in the UK, the Honley and Barnsley factories closed in the 1980s.
The model was built over 30 years ago in 1/76 scale, all scratchbuilt except for the cab. This was heavily modified and improved from a cheap plastic “Blue Box” toy truck. Back in the day, Brook’s management were keen on publicity, and used to show their vehicles in various Mayors’ Parades, and usually applied the whitewall tyre treatment seen here.

paul motyka:

holydiver:

paul motyka:
0holydiver.
Hi great models mate.Did you do a model of Butlers S80 6 wheeler tipper I have seen.

Thanks Paul, no not me

Not sure if you know but Butlers were from Maltby,spent many happy hours in the late 60’s early 70’s riding in s Foden S36 with the Gardner 150 in.

Hi Paul, no they are a new one on me. Look a smart outfit, must have been great riding in those, love the old Fodens

fodenway:
One from Barnsley and beyond - Brook Motors Thames Trader artic van. This outfit replaced an older one using a Bedford OSS tractor and a smaller version of this trailer. It made twice-daily trips between the three factories in Huddersfield, Honley and Barugh Green (Barnsley), carrying components and sub-assemblies of the large electric motors and control gear that the company made. Merged with Cromptons in the 1970s, and taking over other companies such as Parkinson and the electric motor division of Hawker Siddeley, the Brook-Crompton Holding Company is now Singapore-based, with operations around the world, although only the Huddersfield works survives in the UK, the Honley and Barnsley factories closed in the 1980s.
The model was built over 30 years ago in 1/76 scale, all scratchbuilt except for the cab. This was heavily modified and improved from a cheap plastic “Blue Box” toy truck. Back in the day, Brook’s management were keen on publicity, and used to show their vehicles in various Mayors’ Parades, and usually applied the whitewall tyre treatment seen here.

Another fantastic build Fodenway, yet again another firm i’ve not come across before. If you have any pictures of them feel free to post. I have often looked through videos on Youtube of mayors parades so many firms got involved, more like a moving truck show.

There’s a DVD called “Bygone Barnsley”, there’s a short piece showing the Trader at the Barugh Green works, plus a few other local firms with their lorries can be seen.

holydiver:

paul motyka:

holydiver:

paul motyka:
0holydiver.

Thanks Paul, no not me

Hi Paul, no they are a new one on me. Look a smart outfit, must have been great riding in those, love the old Fodens

holydiver,have a look at page 10 on here.Butlers Quarry Maltby,loads of old British Lorries that Butlers ran,enjoy.

fodenway:
More “Beyond” than “Barnsley”, a classic wagon from a classic firm. One of Sid Harrison’s Scammell R8’s in 1/76 scale, loaded and ready for the night trunk. A lightly modified and detailed Langley kit.

love Sid’s Scammell’s :slight_smile: are you going to do one of his Highwayman tractor’s any time?

carryfast-yeti:

fodenway:
More “Beyond” than “Barnsley”, a classic wagon from a classic firm. One of Sid Harrison’s Scammell R8’s in 1/76 scale, loaded and ready for the night trunk. A lightly modified and detailed Langley kit.

love Sid’s Scammell’s :slight_smile: are you going to do one of his Highwayman tractor’s any time?

Yes, I started one a few years ago, but then it got sidelined (like so many other projects) and hasn’t been touched for a couple of years. One of these days I will get around to finishing it !

fodenway:
There’s a DVD called “Bygone Barnsley”, there’s a short piece showing the Trader at the Barugh Green works, plus a few other local firms with their lorries can be seen.

Thanks i’ll keep an eye out for a copy

" Bygone Barnsley " is on Youtube. the Brook Motors Trader appears at about 46 mins.

Regards John.

old 67:
" Bygone Barnsley " is on Youtube. the Brook Motors Trader appears at about 46 mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiRtgaC_PBY

Regards John.

Many thanks John

Ron Barraclough operated this half-cab Foden from his yard in Peel Place (bottom of Wakefield Road, next to the old Tollgate Inn), usually on work for Redfearns Glass at Monk Bretton. The 1/76 model was built using the cab from a Lone Star Impy tipper on a scratchbuilt chassis, with a scratchbuilt trailer and load. The trailer has a handbrake cable made from a cat hair. The painting of the lorry is by the late Keith Hudson. I heard that the lorry was later fitted with a conventional cab, but don’t know whether that’s true or not.

Superb model there fodenway like the corner boards :smiley: cheers Ray

Thanks Ray, those boards were very necessary on the bottle job, but couldn’t always keep the crates tightly together judging by the number of loads that went over on Burton Road roundabout outside the glassworks.

fodenway:
Ron Barraclough operated this half-cab Foden from his yard in Peel Place (bottom of Wakefield Road, next to the old Tollgate Inn), usually on work for Redfearns Glass at Monk Bretton. The 1/76 model was built using the cab from a Lone Star Impy tipper on a scratchbuilt chassis, with a scratchbuilt trailer and load. The trailer has a handbrake cable made from a cat hair. The painting of the lorry is by the late Keith Hudson. I heard that the lorry was later fitted with a conventional cab, but don’t know whether that’s true or not.

That is brilliant, love the detailing on this one Fodenway. I have always wondered about the colour scheme of this truck as I have only ever seen black and white shots. Thanks for sharing your superb work

Hi fodenway i remember as a kid a firm beside me having ts3 & Perkins commers on United glass.loads were quite high corner boards,well roped &sheeted cheers Ray

A pair of Leylands, a Badger and a Beaver of James Durrans, Penistone. Built in 1/76 scale from a photo, note they both have radiator blinds fitted for the Pennine winter - that on the Beaver has had it’s panels rolled open. One of Durran’s products was carbon black for the tyre manufacturers, evil stuff. Durrans are still operating from their Phoenix Works at Thurlstone, near Penistone, but the transport side of the business was bought by the Stiller Group about fifteen years ago. Durrans also had a yard at Barugh near Barnsley, now used by Ken Mallinson Transport.

Those are brilliant Fodenway!
I have never seen Durrans from that far back, I have a Corgi Foden ready to transform into a Pulverite. I believe Durrans took these over in the mid 60’s. A great looking fleet, I think i can remember seeing them around when i was a kid.

Well, this last week or so I have been busy working on the Crane Fruehauf trailer for the Duncan Sharp Seddon Atkinson. The trailer is about complete now and is awaiting weathering then the all important load secured with sheets and ropes. Below are some progress photos of the scratchbuilt trailer including the fiddly handbrake I made from 10 thou plasticard. This model should hopefully be complete in the next week.

As I mentioned earlier on my dad used to produce model kits when I was a kid, known as Modeltrux. This was mainly all done from the loft of our house in Cudworth. The last few weeks I have been amazed to see a number of these original kits come up on Ebay and I have bought pretty much all of them. These are the first I have seen in what must have been at least 5 years or so. A lot of these will be staying mint in their boxes and I have bought some built restoration projects to replicate the models below my dad used to display at shows. It is great to finally have a good collection of my dad’s original kits. He never managed to keep any back in the end. These will something to look forward to inbetween my bigger projects.

I have also been buying some larger 1/24th resin transkits recently too. Some of these will be part of the Barnsley and Beyond collection. The ERF A series as Majestic Motors of Darton. Possibly the next model to hit the bench after the Seddon.
The Scammell Crusader was a built “barn find” in need of a restoration. This will be an Ackworth Transport with a Scammell TIR trailer.
The Foden S18 is still being decided, I haven’t any pictures of one in a Barnsley firm so it may end up being a Robsons of Carlisle on a diorama of the old A6 road past Shap.
More soon

Looking forward to seeing the finished articles cheers Ray