"Barnsley and Beyond" Model Trucking Through The Decades

holydiver:

Chris Webb:
Great models,best I’ve seen.
I think the driver of Trowbridge AEC Mandator 2444 W was Jack Turton,I knew him when on nights on market job out of Sheffield,late 60s.He had a tilt cab Mercury then,the one we had would shift but no chance of catching a Trowbridge Mercury. :smiley:

Hello Chris, Yeah that’s him. My next model is a tilt Mercury in Tom Roberts livery. He drove this also I believe. I have heard those Trowbridge trucks used to move :smiley: You must have had some good times. Many thanks, James

Hi James.
Aye,Trowbridge were owned by Lodestar Engineering in Sheffield.They were AEC agents and their pump/injector fitter were second to none,that’s why Jack Turton used to pass me ont M1 early hours ont way back to Sheffield holding up a lighted match.We’d meet up in Leicester Forest and have the craic for half an hour.Happy neets. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Chris, that’s brilliant :smiley: must have been a good laugh at times. My Dad has just told me that it was his son Barry that used to drive the Roberts truck. All the best, James

Fantastic models, and nice to see them from my own area. Being a Cudworth lad, you’ll recognise this one straight away. It’s a more-or-less standard Langley Models 1/76 kit, with a bit of extra detailing. I work in 1/76 scale and have built quite a few models of wagons from my area, mainly 1930s to 1960s

fodenway:
Fantastic models, and nice to see them from my own area. Being a Cudworth lad, you’ll recognise this one straight away. It’s a more-or-less standard Langley Models 1/76 kit, with a bit of extra detailing. I work in 1/76 scale and have built quite a few models of wagons from my area, mainly 1930s to 1960s

Hello, wow that is a beauty. Looks detailed for a 1/76th scale. It’s great to see a model of a Myatts too. I have a Routeman cab standing by for this truck but I have been guessing the colour scheme so far as I just have the B&W photo below. Looks like I weren’t far off with how you have painted yours. Where in Barnsley are you from? All the best,
James

That’s the same photo I used for Myatt’s Scammell James. I’m a Darton lad myself. Here’s another one from an earlier era, an early thirties Leyland of Redfearn Brothers Glassworks, when they were on Harborough Hill.

Another Barnsley firm now gone - Preston Roberts, their yard was on Dodworth Road beside the Ford garage. 1/76 scale, built many years ago before there were any models of the ERF KV cab available. This one started out as an Atkinson, a lot of cutting, filing and filling and detailing later it became this, on a shortened Langley chassis with a scratchbuilt body.

holydiver:
Hi Chris, that’s brilliant :smiley: must have been a good laugh at times. My Dad has just told me that it was his son Barry that used to drive the Roberts truck. All the best, James

Aye it was a good laugh but no hanging around,I had to be back in Parkway Market for 0430 or else… :grimacing: that M1 north of Watford Gap were a grand race track int early hours late 60s.I think Trowbridge did Leeds as well as Sheffield markets.Some good craic to be had at Golden Glove eating stall outside Spitalfields Market int Smoke,used to call there for a cuppa and a sandwich ont way back from my trailer swap at Abbey Wood,lots of market drivers,Atlas Express and BRS lads. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They are brilliant. Love the Redfearns. I’ve never seen a Preston Roberts before. Another nice fleet by the looks of it. Excellent work on that ERF cab it looks spot on! Great to see more Barnsley firms in model form, thanks a lot for sharing them. I’m sure you will remember Majestic Motors then, I have a ERF LV on the list. Thanks again, James

Chris Webb:

holydiver:

Aye it was a good laugh but no hanging around,I had to be back in Parkway Market for 0430 or else… :grimacing: that M1 north of Watford Gap were a grand race track int early hours late 60s.I think Trowbridge did Leeds as well as Sheffield markets.Some good craic to be had at Golden Glove eating stall outside Spitalfields Market int Smoke,used to call there for a cuppa and a sandwich ont way back from my trailer swap at Abbey Wood,lots of market drivers,Atlas Express and BRS lads. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Haha, :laughing: must have been tough work especially with the roping and sheeting inbetween back then too. Must have been a great sight seeing all those lot racing up and down. Just brilliant :smiley:

holydiver:
Thanks again for the kind words Ray :smiley:

Super duper, you should be so proud of yourself :smiley:

Fantastic models chaps.

I do like the way you have made them realistic and not all shiny and new. The British Trailer Company four in line trailer is a nice
touch with the creases in the sheet etc,on the Trowbridge AEC.

Keep them coming. :wink:

Two more from Barnsley, both Yorkshire Traction motors. the first is the stores lorry, a Ford Cargo driven by Brian Hudson. This would have been one of the earliest Cargos on the road, and had an extensive rebuild late in its life with YTC. The model is in 1/76 scale using parts from a variety of sources. The second is “The Beast”, a 1957 Magirus-Deutz Uranus/Interstator recovery unit. It had an undistinguished career at Tracky, and was sold to an operator in Kent purely for the recovery gear. The model is in 1/50 scale and took around 200 hours to build, 90% being scratchbuilt.

DEANB:
Fantastic models chaps.

I do like the way you have made them realistic and not all shiny and new. The British Trailer Company four in line trailer is a nice
touch with the creases in the sheet etc,on the Trowbridge AEC.

Keep them coming. :wink:

Thanks, yeah very happy with that trailer.

fodenway:
Two more from Barnsley, both Yorkshire Traction motors. the first is the stores lorry, a Ford Cargo driven by Brian Hudson. This would have been one of the earliest Cargos on the road, and had an extensive rebuild late in its life with YTC. The model is in 1/76 scale using parts from a variety of sources. The second is “The Beast”, a 1957 Magirus-Deutz Uranus/Interstator recovery unit. It had an undistinguished career at Tracky, and was sold to an operator in Kent purely for the recovery gear. The model is in 1/50 scale and took around 200 hours to build, 90% being scratchbuilt.

Beautiful work! That Magirus is outstanding. I can see the 200 hours there, very well done indeed. I’ve never seen that rig before. Great subjects, i plan on building a Yorkshire Traction bus to share a diorama with a truck at some point.

Hoping to start the trailer for the D Sharp on Monday.

Absolutely fantastic models,your weathering is excellent,so is the subject matter-I struggle in 1/24 scale with my sausage fingers,to do it in 1/48 and 1/50 scale is unbelievable.love the whole thread,please keep it up.

More “Beyond” than “Barnsley”, a classic wagon from a classic firm. One of Sid Harrison’s Scammell R8’s in 1/76 scale, loaded and ready for the night trunk. A lightly modified and detailed Langley kit.

andrew.s:
Absolutely fantastic models,your weathering is excellent,so is the subject matter-I struggle in 1/24 scale with my sausage fingers,to do it in 1/48 and 1/50 scale is unbelievable.love the whole thread,please keep it up.

Thank you Andrew. It can be incredibly fiddly. I’m doing all this size now then i’ll move on to 1/24th as my eyes wear out :laughing: Plenty more to come!

fodenway:
More “Beyond” than “Barnsley”, a classic wagon from a classic firm. One of Sid Harrison’s Scammell R8’s in 1/76 scale, loaded and ready for the night trunk. A lightly modified and detailed Langley kit.

That is a beauty! I will hopefully build one myself at some point using a corgi highway man cab. Always liked this firm, such character. Love your build, certainly looks the part.

holydiver.
Hi great models mate.Did you do a model of Butlers S80 6 wheeler tipper I have seen.

paul motyka:
0holydiver.
Hi great models mate.Did you do a model of Butlers S80 6 wheeler tipper I have seen.

Thanks Paul, no not me