Banned from Clacket Lane!

Last Wednesday afternoon I pulled into the clockwise Clacket Lane services at around 5pm,just stopping for a coffee and to let the traffic die down a bit.

Unusually,I had a Willi-Betz tilt trailer behind my blue & white Edwards Volvo.

I had only just been there five minutes when the man with the hi-viz and clipboard came walking towards me.I thought he was going to ask if I was staying for the night,but,he held up five finger’s and mouthed to me ‘five minutes and you have to go!’

Before I could ask him why? he had walked off,so I got out and walked after him and called him.He ignored me and kept walking,so I walked after him again and got in front of him.
I asked him why I had to leave in five minutes,seeing as I’d only just arrived.
He simply said ‘Willi-Betz are banned’,and walked off again.
So,I went after him again,and asked him why are they banned?

He said because of trouble with gypsies and Betz driver’s.
What do you mean?,I said.
Apparently some Betz driver’s had been caught on cctv selling diesel to gypsies and also smuggling.
I asked him if the police and HMC&E had been informed of these ‘alleged’ activities.No reply.
I asked him if gypsies are banned from stopping to use the facilities.
No reply.
Well,they wouldn’t ban gypsies would they,after all,they have far more right’s and civil liberties than any truck driver.

So I asked him how can Roadchef ban vehicles,or indeed whole companies,from stopping to use MSA facilities?
His reply was that the site is not public,but private property!

I then put it to him that all Betz driver’s are therefore tarred with the same brush!
No reply.

If there had been a police patrol nearby (never there when you need them) I would have asked their opinion on the matter,after all,how can they move a truck on from the site if the driver needs to make a legal rest stop?
MSA’s aren’t exactly available every few miles are they!

Whether these allegations are true or not,I don’t honestly know,I know there’s a certain stigma attched to the name of Willi-Betz,even the management recognise this,but to ban the whole company seems very extreme.

I have mailed the site manager about this and see if I get a response.

What are your thoughts about it?

Personally I’d use the MSA more if banned and would smile and then ignore any request to move until I had it in writing from the site manager. Then your firm could use it to prove descrimination :wink: :smiling_imp:

I wouldn’t have left until 1’59" was up!!! What was he going to do■■? Clamp you■■?
Surprised you never stood your ground on this, Keith

David5l:
Personally I’d use the MSA more if banned and would smile and then ignore any request to move until I had it in writing from the site manager. Then your firm could use it to prove descrimination :wink: :smiling_imp:

If I hadn’t had so much time left to run I would’ve stayed there for the night.
I spoke to another of our driver’s from Genk about it,and he said the same thing happened to him a few weeks previously.
So,we’re going to tell all of our driver’s from Belgium to pull in there regularly for a break!

TheBear:
I wouldn’t have left until 1’59" was up!!! What was he going to do■■? Clamp you■■?
Surprised you never stood your ground on this, Keith

To be honest,I was so wound up about it I was ready to ■■■■ him!
But then I’d probably have been arrested and sacked too :unamused:

Get as many to pull in at the same time as you can :smiling_imp:
see him ask you to move then, Oh and dont forget you can’t speak English :wink:

I would have to park there as often as possible

You should inform WIlli Betz of this and tell them to get as many drivers as possible to go in there on a regular basis.

P.S. How much is the diesel?, i can get down there with a few jerry cans this week some time :slight_smile::):):):).

isnt it funny how being told you cant do something makes you want to do it even more? i would have stayed there for a while and see what he did. then again, i like upsetting people who show arrogance :smiling_imp:

Banned from Clacket Lane!

Isn’t that a good thing? never stopped there but i have never heard a good word said about it.

jammymutt:
You should inform WIlli Betz of this and tell them to get as many drivers as possible to go in there on a regular basis.

P.S. How much is the diesel?, i can get down there with a few jerry cans this week some time :slight_smile::):):):).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im sure that a man like KW can gather up enough support from a few more Betz drivers, I would think 50 should cause the man concern :smiley: And then as your free 2 hours are up, you drive off slowly to have your places taken by another 50 :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can video the bloke running round like a headless chicken, you might get a prize off these Silly Camera programmes on TV.

I dont see how the police can intervene if you are just taking a legal break.

Keep us informed

I m not suprise motorway service station t are ban Willi Betz lorries.

It is totally discrimination :frowning: so let wait to hear from the manager service station!

thank you for inform us, interesting news too

Cheers Ben.

scanny77:
isnt it funny how being told you cant do something makes you want to do it even more? i would have stayed there for a while and see what he did. then again, i like upsetting people who show arrogance :smiling_imp:

im same i would have stayed and called his bluff. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jessicas dad:
[
im same i would have stayed and called his bluff. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Me too, but what would you do if they sneaked up behind your trailer and clamped it? Expensive principle.

My answer - call the old bill and allege intimidation, incitement to break the law (preventing a legal break), conduct likely to lead to cause a breach of the peace etc…

On the other hand, if you don’t need the break and you need to be somewhere to tip/load, who needs the hassle?

Perhaps snowing the MD with letters and emails, or better still, if you are clever enough, a virus or three.

In the end, it’s feeling so impotent that makes you so angry.

I look forward to reading about some just desserts, if you come up with any Keith.

Salut, David.

Remember your roots KW and think yourself thankful that you have a better than average understanding of the language and traditions of this so called free and democratic society.

I hate stereotypes and always look forward to a post by someone such as you’re self that despite the stereotypes portrayed by the ignorant on such subjects as eastern European drivers you give your experiences to help dispel such myths.

You know that you owe it to yourself to follow this one through. Good luck to you.

Spardo:

PMSL I think I’d be Angry if I was IMPOTENT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The wife wouldn’t be too pleased either :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m sure you mean Important :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• Truckette wants to get hold of a Betts trailer so she can park in Clackett & annoy the Jobsworth in the HiViz vest & clipboard* :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
    T.■■

Happy Chappie:

Spardo:

PMSL I think I’d be Angry if I was IMPOTENT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The wife wouldn’t be too pleased either :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m sure you mean Important :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No I don’t. There’s more than one meaning to that word. In this case it’s knowing that there is very little you can do about it, other than sound off on here.

Salut, David.

Oh…what a turn around…seems that a while ago all the eastern bloc drivers/companies were being slagged off for taking up all the parking places…using the facilities…and not paying a penny…now it seems that because edwards is now part of the betz group…start moaning because theyre being discriminated against…We all moan about the gypsies approaching us to sell our diesel…and clacket lane has decided to do something about it…for if betz drivers are selling their diesel…it encourages the gypsy fraternity to visit wherever they are…and maybe look beyond a betz trailer. I support the MSAs in trying to discourage illegal activity..even if it means banning certain companys. drivers have been tarred with the same brush since transport began..so this instance is no different...and i have to add that now that betz` has his hands on one british company…it will lead to more…and more…another nail in the coffin of our once great transport fraternity.