banger racing

hi all,just wondering if any members of the forum had any interests in banger racing? i know a few racers spend their working day on the road.

Yep, had a couple of seasons racing with P.R.I, mostly at Crayford Stadium, but I also raced at the second-ever meeting at Arena Essex, about 1979 or 1980, and had a season racing at Coombe Valley raceway, Dover, in about 1993.

normally go to matchems ringwood raceway at least once a month :slight_smile:

Just dug a few more out from Dover, lost all of my earlier ones during a move, as so often happens :unamused:

That brings back memories H I used to do a bit at Crewe Stadium back in the 80s,

at about 1m03 the guy in the crowd in the bottom right hand corner of the screen is me, :smiley: I genuinely just found this on Youtube and recognised myself. Fame at last :smiley:

Oh and thanks Harry for telling me how to post video last week :wink:

One of my mates used to race bangers, now drifts with us though. Used to race under the number 555, Drew Richards

i do like watching it but theres something fun about watching cars crash into each other

great pics and great video guys. i wouldnt fancy racing with the rad on the parcel shelf these days mind!!! i used to go down to ringwood for the big money open meetings,probably 10 years again now. total carnage and really quick. dont remember finishing a race to be honest. went autograss racing then but want to do more bangers this season. its just the ammount of work and money that goes into it now that puts me off. plus the travelling,the nearest tarmac track to me is mendips,a good 3 hours away at least. anymore for anymore?

Harry Monk:
Yep, had a couple of seasons racing with P.R.I, mostly at Crayford Stadium, but I also raced at the second-ever meeting at Arena Essex, about 1979 or 1980, and had a season racing at Coombe Valley raceway, Dover, in about 1993.

Mk 2 Granada one of the best Harry.One of the few Fords with wisbone front suspension so no Mc Pherson Struts to get bent up when the wings got wiped out.I had two 2.8 i’s with manual box’s and both ended their days in banger racing when I’d finished with them.

The old Austin Westminsters usually put up a good show against the old Jags etc.Built like tanks. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=HHOE03Am … re=related

granadas were the tool when i raced regularly. could pick em up for between 5o/100 quid then. boys are paying silly money for them these days. saw a few westys racing at hednesford,is there a better sounding banger■■?

powsey:
saw a few westys racing at hednesford,is there a better sounding banger■■?

No. :smiley: :wink: Bit like an old Healey 3 litre with straight through exhausts.

youtube.com/watch?v=-2i-om4D … re=related

a mate of mine went to watch the “all westy” meeting, at arlington i think it was. he said the noise beat f1 stockcars. proper cars and proper crashing :sunglasses:

powsey:
a mate of mine went to watch the “all westy” meeting, at arlington i think it was. he said the noise beat f1 stockcars. proper cars and proper crashing :sunglasses:

Something like this. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=QDbOcBtj … eatur=fvwp

stunning :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=XUOLfLQjsoU

Assuming that all the Jap crap is supposed to be so well built why not put a few Datsuns and Hondas in with them and see what happens. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

haha. i know i wouldnt fancy being out there with those loons in a honda civic thats for sure

Best car ever for banger racing was the Austin Cambridge and its derivatives, with a set of MGB carburettors and a welded differential.

Welded diffs are awesome :smiley:

ive got an a60 for this years pre 68 meeting at hednesford. seriously rotten though so could be interesting. :smiley:

Harry Monk:
Best car ever for banger racing was the Austin Cambridge and its derivatives, with a set of MGB carburettors and a welded differential.

But not built like a Westminster though Harry so maybe a case of being able to get out of the way easier and just hope one of those doesn’t get you :question: . :laughing: