Bakery Delivery Shift Pattern

Hey folks.

Just after some info and advice.

I’m a new pass Class 2 and have been offered a job at Hovis in Avonmouth. The start times are anything from midnight to 4am, with a shift pattern of something like 3 on 3 off, 4 on 3 off then 3 on 2 off. Just wondering if anyone does (or has done) this kind of work and how did you find the work/life balance?

I currently work 4 on 4 off in a non-driving role and it feels like I’d spend all my time either working or sleeping on this kind of pattern.

Your post doesn’t give the important information of how long the runs are planned for and how long they actually take in practice. Without this information it is very difficult to comment.

Noremac:
Your post doesn’t give the important information of how long the runs are planned for and how long they actually take in practice. Without this information it is very difficult to comment.

Ah right. The shifts can vary from 10 to 12 hours which is fine. I’m just wondering if there is anyone on here who has worked for Hovis (or any other bakery as I’m assuming the hours are similar) who can share how they felt the work/life was….if that makes sense.

Most drivers are on a 5 on 2 off pattern, worse still the poor sods on any 5 from bleedin 7.

The worse case on that shift pattern is 2 days off and only 3 working days either side, so long as the pay reflects the amount of weekend (and bank holiday) working involved it sound good to me, longest working week 4 days.

I’m on a weird pattern too but my working weeks are short hours wise overall and over the year i work a month less than a 5 day week person, plus its cushy compared to the typical graft lorry driving used to be, no it isn’t quite as good as 4 on 4 off hours wise but it seems like many operators are trying to back pedal away from 4 on/off anyway so the chances of you finding 4 on/off driving with sensible hours arn’t high.
The early starts arn’t for everyone mind.

Juddian:
but it seems like many operators are trying to back pedal away from 4 on/off anyway so the chances of you finding 4 on/off driving with sensible hours arn’t high.

Why is that do you think? Must admit it took me a while to find another decent 4o4o job.

Sorry op can’t help with Hovis. Used to go in Hovis Glasgow but never spoke to anyone. That shift pattern sounds OK though.