Bagged myself a job!

So I passed my C+E on Friday, got an interview on Monday, and I’ve accepted a job today! It’s class 1 tramping, national running out of Norwich.

I’ve given my notice at my current job, they need a month so my last day is 27th December officially but il probably finish just before Xmas, then I start the new job 7th Jan.

Now I need to get prepared as I’ve not seen any of my old trucking gear for a few years! It seems a lot of you use truck specific sat navs now, so il add that to the shopping list along with new bedding etc…

Is the general opinion that Tom-Tom sat navs are pretty good with all their traffic stuff included?

I find Garmin better than TomTom.

To be honest I find my road atlas better than both most of the time, but then again I don’t go very far.

Thanks Andy, il of course be picking up a new atlas as well.

Seems the 3 main choices are Tom-Tom, Garmin or snooper as far as sat navs go?

Can anyone recommend any specific model?

Ive got a pronav pnn300, they’ve just brought a new one out which i shall be getting soon, its 230 quid for uk maps and 270 with euro. Its a very, very good sat nav, i certainly wouldnt spend the 300 or 400 that snooper etc want, i’d be surprised if they were any better too. Pronav also have extremely good after support, i broke the screen on mine and called them up they sorted it out straight away, had to pay but £80 but sent me and brand new one, all within in a week which i thought was very impressive.

Congrats on the new job, hope you get on well !!

I usually get slated for saying this but i will add THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION !!

I dont rate the snooper that much considering the cost of it, I have the s7000 and PERSONALLY i think its pretty crap.

I also have this one hgv-trucktables.co.uk/truck-sat-nav.php

And even though its only my back up i find i get it out more often now to get me places when the snooper keeps coming up with “sorry no appropriate route!” or when it looses gps signal our one of the other problems snooper hasnt been able to fix on the three occasions they’ve had it back.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Thanks guys, thats not the first negative review ive heard of the snooper, Ive been looking at the TomTom 5150 Pro Truck as it has free lifetime maps and a years live services including traffic…for £319

That one in the link looks very Chinese bootleg, especially with that height issue…I think that would drive me mad.

I’m looking forward to a few weeks off over Christmas and new year before I take to the wheel in January. Il get a pic of my motor when I start and may see a few of you on the road.

Well done sealing your new job in place :smiley: :smiley: As far as satnav’s go ,I find navman good, & Imego truck satnav very good, & a lot cheaper than snooper, around 100 quid or less, ( although it probably dosenot do as many ‘perks’ as snooper), but it does haveall sorts of usefull menu’s on it & bluetooth, I just have not bothered to use mine to it’s full extent :blush: :blush: & for long distances I still prefere a good road map !! I find Philips Truckers (road maps)a good one :smiley: Goodluck withyour new job :smiley: :smiley:

TT are crap… The online software is what lets it down. I tried to renew my traffic on my old one and it rendered my NAV useless. It crashed a few times a day before though. Was only 18 month old.

I’ve got a Garmin now. It’s a bit more basic, but what is good is it learns your speed so arrival times are within a minute or two even over a few hours drive. TT was set as a car, you can’t alter it like on the older ones.

More than that though. Get a PHILIPS Atlass with bridges and an iPhone with Street View and you’ll not go wrong.

Thanks for the replies, I’m great full for the tips. Would hate to spend the money on something and regret it.

I’ve got an iPhone and iPad both with navfree on…works great in the car and il have access to all of google maps on the go with them for those places that are a mystery to find.

I still have a load of old Maps but I think il replace most of them over time.

Lofty83:
Thanks for the replies, I’m great full for the tips. Would hate to spend the money on something and regret it.

I’ve got an iPhone and iPad both with navfree on…works great in the car and il have access to all of google maps on the go with them for those places that are a mystery to find.

I still have a load of old Maps but I think il replace most of them over time.

No more google maps with iPhones latest software :frowning: so no street view!!
You can access it through safari but I’ve found that very unreliable.
Apples new maps have worked fine for me but missed street view so bought a Google Nexus 7 tablet.
Decent 7" tablet and can get one for as little as £150.

GIxer7502:
No more google maps with iPhones latest software :frowning: so no street view!!
You can access it through safari but I’ve found that very unreliable.
Apples new maps have worked fine for me but missed street view so bought a Google Nexus 7 tablet.
Decent 7" tablet and can get one for as little as £150.

That is true but I can still use google maps and street view on the iPad without any trouble.

Lofty i have the Snooper S7000, i have no problems with it, you can put 16 multi drops in to it and off you go, the tv is ace for nights out, the picture is very good and you get a very long magnetic based aerial.
If you do ADR loads it will route that, and road traffic items will come up to avoid, i have seen road shut;fire, gas leaks, floods and all the accidents and road closures will come up in the TMC part.
It is built well and very robust for truckers fingers, it is worth the money and i got £40 off when i asked for a discount.
The blue tooth phone is good, you pair it to the phone in the cab so you speak in to the sat nav.
The only thing that is a bug, is when you leave a place it takes a while to work out that you have left while on multi drop function and sends you back to drop one,or the last drop you were at.