badges!!

so on the foreign wagons you always see on the cab the green circle with a white “L” i assumed it was meaning left hand drive, however i have recently seen 3 (could be the same wagon) from D.k malcolm pulling sawyers trailers with this sticker on the cab but it has been right hookers!! so what do they mean then? also mainly on the foreign wagons u see the small square sign saying TIP wat is this ■■

I think the green L has something to do with low emissions over in Euroland, though I might be wrong…

It’s a low noise symbol, I forget which country it applies to though

That TIP may have been TIR sign.Which are journeys outside of Europe.

Some display L and some display V - noise and emmisions I believe but I can not remember what order or the countries but I would imagine that Switzerland and Austria would have something to do with it.

The L stands for “Lärmarm” and indicates the lorry stays below 80 decibels and is (was) needed for Austria to drive in Austria on the motorway between 10 pm and 6 am.
moreinfo here: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinweissch … eichnungen

The V stands for euro 5 (roman V), but I have no idea in what country it is obligatory.

TIP is a trailer rental firm.
The Portuguese have a badge with TP on the trucks.

toby1234abc:

So how come you see trailers from uk based firms with this on? Like some freshlinc trailers etc?

In a previous life the trailer may have been doing TIR work but somebody has forgot to put a line across the sign to indicate it is no longer TIR.

TIP was always a trailer rental place. Not sure is they are still going or been brought out?

Mark22_2:
TIP was always a trailer rental place. Not sure is they are still going or been brought out?

Been recently bought out by HNA group…

toby1234abc:

this is what TIR stands for

Transport Internationaux Routiers

The TIR Convention establishes an international customs transit system with maximum facility to move goods:
in sealed vehicles or containers;
from a customs office of departure in one country to a customs office of destination in another country;
without requiring extensive and time-consuming border checks at intermediate borders;
at a cost-effective price;
while, at the same time, providing customs authorities with the required security and guarantees.

The TIR system not only covers customs transit by road but a combination is possible with other modes of transport (e.g., rail, inland waterway, and even maritime transport), as long as at least one part of the total transport is made by road

from my days on the continent I was aware the letters meant that you could drive to certain countries.
L = Luxembourg
S = Spain
G = Gibraltar
U = Ukraine
and as far as im aware the numbers relate to the emissions.
TIR stands for
transport international router

lizard:
from my days on the continent I was aware the letters meant that you could drive to certain countries.
L = Luxembourg
S = Spain
G = Gibraltar
U = Ukraine
and as far as im aware the numbers relate to the emissions.
TIR stands for
transport international router

As S stands for Sweden, G for Gabon, and Ukraine is UA, your days on the continent must be long ago ? :slight_smile: :wink:

thelorryist:

toby1234abc:

So how come you see trailers from uk based firms with this on? Like some freshlinc trailers etc?

It just means the trailer meets TIR standards for being sealed by customs etc. See some
containers with it on them too. Freshlinc do run abroad, doubt they go far enough to need TIR though.

I seem to remember these stickers long before noise and pollution limits.
One truck I got from new had them in the lockers ready for sticking on, that was G 484 GVH, so going back a fair time.