Bad Umbrella companys

As it says on the box

have you worked through a Umbrella company that Didn’t live up to the promise

Ducas (aka Maxipay)

This was set up the other week.
was told to submit expense’s on line and that time sheets would be e-mailed.
Still waiting for login details and payslips by email.

told the agency I have sourced other work due to thisback on PAYE… umbrella still haven’t replied to calls or emails…

Agencies stand to gain a hell of a lot from Umbrellered Drivers.

Why shouldn’t they be allowed to rip Drivers off with just a quid an hour ?

I’m using them and had to hassle them to get the login details etc, but got there in the end.
On the plus side they pay promptly and the deductions are minimal but I’d prefer to be paid gross and do my own accounts.

Having worked with Ducas, they’re a pretty good umbrella (if there is such a thing). That being said, I obviously deal with their sales team / account managers as opposed to those responsible for the logins and such.

As 1968kg said, only ever had minor hiccups with them and they are reliable in terms of payment etc. and always had good feedback from drivers regarding their expenses system. I’m sure you won’t have a problem backdating expenses when you can get on the system - just follow up any phone calls with an e-mail (never hurts to have read receipts either).

Failing that, speak to your agency and ask them to sort it on your behalf if you’re not having any joy.

why on earth do people still pay to use umbrella companies?

It cost about £20 to form your own LTD company and is much cheaper to have an accountant sign off quarterly vat returns (if you cant do them yourself - very easy) and annual returns

oh and of course, as a director you earn much more than you would as a PAYE umbrella employee

Been paid promptly by them but can’t get the payslips as I don’t have a login. Never bothered chasing it to be honest as it was only 2 weeks pay

trubster:

It cost about £20 to form your own LTD company and is much cheaper to have an accountant sign off quarterly vat returns (if you cant do them yourself - very easy) and annual returns

oh and of course, as a director you earn much more than you would as a PAYE umbrella employee

For me I’m only doing odd days at the moment so it’s just a quick and convenient way to get started.
I used to have a Ltd company before as a subby in a different industry and it was a PITA to be honest. Bank charges would cost me more than the UC charges for the odd days that I’m doing.

Santander is free forever

“Bad Umbrella” is like “Wet Water” or “Hot Flames” :smiling_imp:

Now “Good Umbrella” would be one that pays a 25% markup over PAYE, and the lowest PAYE rate is already in double digits. Not much point having £6.19 marked up to £7.75 is it?

Isn’t there a law that says “contractors” cannot be paid that low?

Just how many umbrellas out there pay a minimum of £12.50ph to drivers? :question: :unamused:

Had a letter this morning inviting me to join an agency pension plan… Erm. I’ve only had 8 shifts in the last year out of them, so all my payins will go on commissions, and I’ll get nothing back the way I see it? I can’t say I want to make any kind of commitment to working regular underpaid hours either, so I think I’ll just leave it. :wink:

nick2008:
As it says on the box

have you worked through a Umbrella company that Didn’t live up to the promise

Ducas (aka Maxipay)

This was set up the other week.
was told to submit expense’s on line and that time sheets would be e-mailed.
Still waiting for login details and payslips by email.

told the agency I have sourced other work due to thisback on PAYE… umbrella still haven’t replied to calls or emails…

Don’t know about Maxipay but stay clear of that maxipad their a bloody disgrace.

trubster:

+1
doing the VAT online is only filling 9 boxes max … at least half of those are £0.00

trubster:
Santander is free forever

+1