Bad smash involving 2 HGVs Nr Uttoxeter

This seen this on my local rags webpage…
stokesentinel.co.uk/Update-L … story.html
Very lucky to even survive,hope he pulls through.

Saw this on Facebook earlier, looks bad.

There’s a couple more too, including a truck having a lie down near Vauxhall Bridge on the roundabout, and a multiple vehicle smash including at least 2 lorries on the M4

There was a nasty one north bound just after 15a on the M1 last night. Sadly it looked like a fatal as they had screens up and had shut the road.

Nasty, looks like the load has broken the headboard and come through over, and maybe into the cab. I hope he’s going to be OK.

Horrible ,poor fella wasnt expecting that when he got out of bed :cry:

What is it about the A50 around Sudbury and uttoxeter ,there’s a accident involving a lorry or 2 lorries nearly every week ,be it a roll over or rear ender ,can be down to speed / driver error ?trying to get out of uttoxeter can be very difficult at times due to the speed that all types of vehicle come on to the roundabouts .

It was at the little chef island where the McDonald’s is,also they forgot to close the a50 at Blythe bridge which ended up with people sat for 5 hours rather than them closing it and people just going through Tean to avoid it all.

I drove past this on the other side just as fire crews were arriving.

It was one of those where you look at it and think fatality. When I got closer a fireman was at the window clearly talking to someone inside. No idea how he has survived that. Here’s hoping he has a speedy recovery.

Think it is just one of those bit’s of road where drivers get rolling on with the cruise on and stationary traffic just pops up. Locals are ready for the roundabout. May be a bit of a surprise to people who don’t use the road regular.

ckm1981:
It was at the little chef island where the McDonald’s is,also they forgot to close the a50 at Blythe bridge which ended up with people sat for 5 hours rather than them closing it and people just going through Tean to avoid it all.

Always will be an accident blackspot there, people come tanking around the corner to be met with stationary traffic, despite the roundabout being signed before the corner. Not saying thats what happened here,but he didnt hit that at a crawl,poor bugger.

Dan Punchard:
What is it about the A50 around Sudbury and uttoxeter ,there’s a accident involving a lorry or 2 lorries nearly every week ,be it a roll over or rear ender ,can be down to speed / driver error ?trying to get out of uttoxeter can be very difficult at times due to the speed that all types of vehicle come on to the roundabouts .

I have wondered this myself Dan, at the A515 Sudbury island I can maybe understand rollovers as it is the first ‘hazard’ after many miles of straight running from the M1 and folk are either travelling too fast or have nodded off but at the Uttoxeter end it is a puzzler. Maybe the same thing, coming up to an island after a few miles of easy running? :confused: As you say it has always been a pain trying to get out from the A518 island, I tended to go via Rocester back to Ashbourne because of this but no use for accessing the A50 of course! I kept in the lefthand lane around the island when turning right, it gives you a better chance with a truck even though it isn’t really the correct way of doing things but traffic is coming at you at a rapid rate of knots and you dont get many gaps! Never had these issues on the old A50 did we? :laughing:

Pete.

Wasn’t there a fatality on that stretch of road only last week or the week before in an accident involving 2 HGV’S?

That’s right m8 a Rose of Newark I believe hit a lovatts up the ■■■ ,it’s said the A Rose driver sadly died and the Erf of lovatts was broken down ?

windrush:

Dan Punchard:

I have wondered this myself Dan, at the A515 Sudbury island I can maybe understand rollovers as it is the first ‘hazard’ after many miles of straight running from the M1 and folk are either travelling too fast or have nodded off but at the Uttoxeter end it is a puzzler. Maybe the same thing, coming up to an island after a few miles of easy running? :confused: As you say it has always been a pain trying to get out from the A518 island, I tended to go via Rocester back to Ashbourne because of this but no use for accessing the A50 of course! I kept in the lefthand lane around the island when turning right, it gives you a better chance with a truck even though it isn’t really the correct way of doing things but traffic is coming at you at a rapid rate of knots and you dont get many gaps! Never had these issues on the old A50 did we? :laughing:

Pete.

I’ve done the same pete ,but those heros hurtling down from McDonald s to the Racecourse roundabout don’t expect a vehicle in the left lane to be turning right ,it’s possible to get cleaned up there !

They seem a regular occurrence of late ! On this section for some reason ■■
It’s the 3rd bad accident in last couple of weeks on the section between Stoke and A515 junction 2 with involving broken down trucks and 1 involving a truck and pedestrian ?
I passed this morning at 08:00 and came to halt heading towards Stoke as the air ambulance had been landed on the west bound carriageway to remove casualties from the scene 2 of my colleagues had passed earlier before me and said the tipper was broken down and the driver of the rigid involved was being cut out when 1 passed too all I can say is I hope all parties involved pull though ! As I must admit it wasn’t pleasant at all to see in the flesh .

Yes the suicide too ,very sad that for all concerned .

Greggo:
They seem a regular occurrence of late ! On this section for some reason ■■
It’s the 3rd bad accident in last couple of weeks on the section between Stoke and A515 junction 2 with involving broken down trucks and 1 involving a truck and pedestrian ?
I passed this morning at 08:00 and came to halt heading towards Stoke as the air ambulance had been landed on the west bound carriageway to remove casualties from the scene 2 of my colleagues had passed earlier before me and said the tipper was broken down and the driver of the rigid involved was being cut out when 1 passed too all I can say is I hope all parties involved pull though ! As I must admit it wasn’t pleasant at all to see in the flesh .

Hit me in the pit of the stomach too…
Lets just say today has been a steady day, luckily had a collection dropped so had the chance.

Dan Punchard:

windrush:

Dan Punchard:

Pete.

I’ve done the same pete ,but those heros hurtling down from McDonald s to the Racecourse roundabout don’t expect a vehicle in the left lane to be turning right ,it’s possible to get cleaned up there !

I don’t think he meant from the A50 on to the A518… At least I hope not…

This is how I was knocked off my bike a couple of months ago, a car approached a major roundabout like that in the left lane, I was to his right, at the exit, he carried on round as if he was going to the right, no indicator or ■■■■ all, straight into me. And then started preaching about the white lines carrying on round and me being in the wrong :open_mouth:

Yes he did ,and yes I do turn right in the left lane just like as stated above .

I was up there a couple of weeks ago, had to load just behind the Premier Inn at the roundabout before McDonalds (Derby Road?)

Could not believe how fast they approach that roundabout,
It’s like there is no roundabout - they just hurtle straight across,

Dan Punchard:
Yes he did ,and yes I do turn right in the left lane just like as stated above .

From the A50, RIGHT onto the A518■■ From the LEFT lane when the A50 straight on is a primary exit with 2 lane exit??

:unamused: