Bad luck comes in three`s

Usual 1am start on monday.Gets load for our store in Banchory,goes out to check over my morrisons trolley finds its got a water leak so i defect it get given another unit.Pick up trailer its showing abs trailer warning,workshop checked fuses,suzies etc,then decide to be transhipped.Finally gets out depot at 330am,heading over from Stonehaven to Banchory i notice that trailer is dragging so stop at first safe place.Offside brakedisc is glowing orange and starting to catch fire,run to the cab get fire extinguisher pull the pin on extinguisher and nothing happens.Back to cab again and get all the water i had with me and pour it on disc got the flames out but disc still glowing.Luckily it did nt catch fire again.Phoned our depot,mechanic comes out from Aberdeen,says that caliper is seized and that hell just disconnect air lines goin into caliper.Hope i dont have a monday like that again.

does that mean that you continued with no brakes on one wheel?
what about the etc etc :slight_smile:

del949:
does that mean that you continued with no brakes on one wheel?
what about the etc etc :slight_smile:

Was only 6 miles from delivery and came back empty.Etc was sensors on the brake drums of the original trailer.

Trans shipping a trailer for an ABS warning> :cry:

Silver_Surfer:
Trans shipping a trailer for an ABS warning> :cry:

Trailers are transhipped for less than an abs warning before now.

We are going back to drums on trailers must be to save money cant think of any other reason :unamused:

Tell you where you brakes can go on fire coming from east kilbride going to greggs using that back road all heavy downhill go into greggs and you can smell it a mile away.

Funny enough im going to banchory the morra was considering treating myself and going the the A93 but ive got a tracker so no can do :laughing:

merc0447:
We are going back to drums on trailers must be to save money cant think of any other reason :unamused:

Tell you where you brakes can go on fire coming from east kilbride going to greggs using that back road all heavy downhill go into greggs and you can smell it a mile away.

Funny enough im going to banchory the morra was considering treating myself and going the the A93 but ive got a tracker so no can do :laughing:

All our new ones have came with discs.Thats the strange thing i hadnt been heavy on the brakes only 15 wee pallets on board.Mechanic said that the sliding mechanism in the caliper was seized.Are you talking about Greenlees road that drops you into Cambuslang? Depending if its bad snow most of us always cut over at Stonehaven,if its heavy snow we go into Aberdeen and along the A93 .

jf1970:
All our new ones have came with discs.Thats the strange thing i hadnt been heavy on the brakes only 15 wee pallets on board.Mechanic said that the sliding mechanism in the caliper was seized…

Had that myself. Pulled onto J41 Ind Est at Wakey and waited for fitters. Disc was well hot.

It sounds like whoever does your inspections maybe needs an arse kicking before Joan Aitken does it herself.

Thats what becomes of dawdling along you dont go fast enough to regularly use the brakes so they seize up :unamused:

4whatitsworth:
Thats what becomes of dawdling along you dont go fast enough to regularly use the brakes so they seize up :unamused:

Did you think that one up yourself?

jf1970:

4whatitsworth:

Did you think that one up yourself?

Fact :sunglasses:

Sorry I don’t see why anyone necessarily needs their arse kicking over inspections. Poster doesn’t say that the trailer had just been inspected in the last few days. The slider pins can seize quite easily and quickly especially in winter.

Quite right to tranship the trailer for an ABS warning light. If it is not a simple fix,which it often isn’t, then it’s quicker to tranship than repair. To run with the light on is a GV9.

As for disconnecting the air line for the offending brake, this would seem to be the most sensible practicable solution. While it would be POSSIBLE to change a disc and caliper beside the road (and years ago a similar type of job would have been common) it is not a suitable roadside job these days. Running to the nearest suitable location for repair is the preferred option. Whether this should have been at the delivery point ‘depends’. Piggybacking the trailer home on a recovery lowloader once tipped would seem to be overboard.

So, to summarise the above post
Running with a yellow ABS warning of a possible fault is wrong.
Running with a brake disconnected is OK
■■?
I wonder if VOSA would take the same attitude?

del949:
So, to summarise the above post
Running with a yellow ABS warning of a possible fault is wrong.
Running with a brake disconnected is OK
■■?
I wonder if VOSA would take the same attitude?

Let it develop maintenance scheduling :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

GV9 for ABS warning light

Yet ok to run with a defective brake :confused:

Is it us?