Bad habits

I always remember my dad letting me have a go in his triumph 2000 on a disused bit of land. I was only 14 and I just got in and drove it with no help from my dad. I’d been watching him drive for years so I think it was a case of monkey see monkey do :laughing:

Trouble its been 27 years since I last had some kind of driving test/lessons so I’m already sh##### myself about doing cat 2 training because of bad habits I know I have and the ones I don’t know I have. Think I’m going to get shouted at a lot :smiley:

Has anybody else stumbled with the training as a result of bad driving habits?

the instructor will be used to it and should be prepared, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. :slight_smile:

Was in the habit of driving with one hand, instructors stick cured that in time for test :slight_smile:

Back to one hand now though, need they other one for txting :slight_smile:

bazstan009:
Was in the habit of driving with one hand, instructors stick cured that in time for test :slight_smile:

Back to one hand now though, need they other one for txting :slight_smile:

And the other for eating a sandwich? :smiley:

I’ve just done my Class 2. I would say it’s something they’re used to and understand. As long as you take on board their input you should be fine.

You will be fine the instructor will get you sorted in your lessons.

Cant drive with 2 hands couldn’t eat drink roll a ■■■ etc far too important lol

As above. Situation normal.

And, just out of interest, some things that you may consider bad habits could be acceptable on test. A good trainer will correct what needs correcting but wont bother mending something that isn’t broken.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
And, just out of interest, some things that you may consider bad habits could be acceptable on test. A good trainer will correct what needs correcting but wont bother mending something that isn’t broken.

Spot on as usual Pete.

Here are a few examples to think about:-

Crossing Hands when turning corners - Not too bad provided you do not release the steering wheel and watch it spin back on its own after turning.

Driving 1 handed on the wheel continually - Not a great habit. Looks lazy and you definitely don’t have as good control as when using both hands

Putting gear into neutral before applying parking brake - At traffic lights etc I like candidates to engage moving away gear before applying the parking brake in case the opportunity to move away comes quickly. When pulling over to stop at the kerbside I like candidates to apply the parking brake 1st to fully secure the vehicle especially on hills. You would not fail whichever order you chose.

Pulling up close behind another vehicle that is stationary at lights etc - You will usually be marked a minor fault for this. I have 1 example I carry in the vehicle that shows 5 driving faults for this PLUS a serious fault. The only serious fault on the sheet. Watch this one carefully.

Not using mirrors enough at the correct times - OMG the biggest one of all. Every trainers nightmare and a certain recipe for needing a retest

Just to add, IME folks slip up by making a super special effort on test instead of driving as they have been encouraged to all week. I had a classic some years ago. At the end of the test, the examiner walked towards me, shook his head and muttered the word “gears”. This surprised me as the candidate was well up to standard in all departments including gears.

Naturally I asked the examiner what had happened. The answer was “moving away in 1st every time”. With an 8 speed box, this is unthinkable!

Next thing was to ask the candidate why he had decided that 1st was better for moving off than 4th gear which had been consistently used during training. The answer “I thought I’d make an impression”. My reply “you’ve certainly done that!”

Along similar lines, folks suddenly reduce their normal running speed. My tuition for correct speed is simple “Drive as fast as you can, all the time, safely and legally”. That does it perfectly well. And then, on test, it’s not unheard of to get 40 in a 50, 30 in a 40 etc. And it’s a good enough cause for a serious (fail) mark. Especially if it has an effect on other traffic.

So it’s good advice firstly to find a sound trainer who actually knows what is wanted, and then take on board the gems of wisdom.

Loads of good stuff being post here

. I am going for a trip to your school Peter on Monday .
Hopefully I could make my booking whilst being there. I’ve booked an assessment as instructed by you and really cant wait however getting slightly nervous as I have no clue what to expect, its gonna be my first. Btw I opted for a manual box, as I want to have a go at this before final decision is made. We will see how bad I am :d

I’m sure you’ll be fine. If you hate the manual, go for auto. Choice is yours.

Peter Smythe:
Just to add, IME folks slip up by making a super special effort on test instead of driving as they have been encouraged to all week. I had a classic some years ago. At the end of the test, the examiner walked towards me, shook his head and muttered the word “gears”. This surprised me as the candidate was well up to standard in all departments including gears.

Naturally I asked the examiner what had happened. The answer was “moving away in 1st every time”. With an 8 speed box, this is unthinkable!

Next thing was to ask the candidate why he had decided that 1st was better for moving off than 4th gear which had been consistently used during training. The answer “I thought I’d make an impression”. My reply “you’ve certainly done that!”

Along similar lines, folks suddenly reduce their normal running speed. My tuition for correct speed is simple “Drive as fast as you can, all the time, safely and legally”. That does it perfectly well. And then, on test, it’s not unheard of to get 40 in a 50, 30 in a 40 etc. And it’s a good enough cause for a serious (fail) mark. Especially if it has an effect on other traffic.

So it’s good advice firstly to find a sound trainer who actually knows what is wanted, and then take on board the gems of wisdom.

Just to add, when I had my test, the examiner was learning over looking at the speedo which made me panic as I was doing the speed limit. It was on the road where you turn right up past the Tesco store near the school I believe. Turns out after the test she thought the road conditions called for 30 not 40. :blush:

Thanks for all the great advice and insight, really appreciate it :smiley: For the last couple weeks I’ve been making a conscious effort to get the basics back up to scratch whilst out in my van. Also trying to imagine my ldv Maxus is the same size as a Scania 94 :smiley: getting some funny looks though :open_mouth: :smiley:

They say it takes 21 days to break a habit, and you will have nothing like 21 days to practice in the truck!
Instructors are very used to the problems faced by deep rooted habits, they just slip you into a different habit, not exactly the best way to train someone but it gets the job done.

In my experience there are two types of instructors, those that teach do it like blah, blah, blah and give you little understanding as to why you need to do it, they use the phrase “the examiner wants to see you …” this method is technically poor but strangely it often leads to higher pass rate as the test suits habits - albeit the right ones.

Or the other type of instructor will teach you understanding, the driver will be more capable and safer but the catch is that this method takes longer, more explanations, demonstration drives by instructor, conversation/feedback from trainee, whats that you say, an instructor that will listen to you, not just bark orders, impossible that never happens!

Best advice is, they mark it as they see it, too slow is too slow, too late is too late, not applied is not applied, too close is too close, you get the idea.

Speed, do what feels right, if your personal speed sensor is not calibrated right you have a big problem!
Don’t do anything weird, the examiner won’t like surprises.
Steering, steer however you want, they will judge your ‘control’, spin the wheel at your peril!
Brakes, make it feel like you know how to use them to good effect.
Gears - not sure, we only use automatics now!

On your assessment drive the instructor should have judged your habits and how difficult they may be to adapt, so as long as you have got a long enough course duration for your habits to be changed you should be fine.

Funny thing is, Driving is one of the few things that you get worse at with more practice/experience! Take taxi drivers for instance, they are a challenge to adapt to test procedures!

Slightly off topic, Mr Tockwith, but I see you only have autos now? Are there that many auto 18 tonners out there nowadays that learners are ok with an auto licence? Not a criticism at all, just a general query from someone that hasn’t driven an 18 tonner in over 25 years.

If concerned about general driving why not get someone you trust to give you their view on it

Many advanced driving groups will do that for free without obligation

she thought the road conditions called for 30 not 40. :blush:

That was one of my points

My tuition for correct speed is simple “Drive as fast as you can, all the time, safely and legally”.

The speed limit should be achieved - provided it’s safe.

TheBear:
Slightly off topic, Mr Tockwith, but I see you only have autos now? Are there that many auto 18 tonners out there nowadays that learners are ok with an auto licence? Not a criticism at all, just a general query from someone that hasn’t driven an 18 tonner in over 25 years.

As long as the learner has got a manual car licence, they get a manual LGV/PCV licence as well, regardless of whether they passed in automatic or manual. There’s always debates over automatic vs. manual for training. “We train on automatics because they’re easier, why worry about gears on your test?” “Well what about when you get your first job? Get handed the keys, climb in the cab and BOOM manual gearbox. What do you do then sonny jim?” Same debate as W+D vs. Artic.

I imagine the sort of people who go on to drive trucks are the sort of people who passed Cat B in a manual anyway.

Thanks for the answer … well, I never knew that and am a bit surprised.

Tockwith Training:
Funny thing is, Driving is one of the few things that you get worse at with more practice/experience! Take taxi drivers for instance, they are a challenge to adapt to test procedures!

What about us white van men! Do you turn out the lights and pull the cutains when you se us comin :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: