Bad attitude!

I’ve been in transport fo nearly 20 years now and am I the only one who has noticed that people don’t care about the job any more? Why does nobody speak to anybody else? Why don’t half the drivers out there care what the truck looks like? I know that the employers have alot to answer for and why can’t they see that getting pay and conditions right means you get better staff? I enjoy the job, and get peed off that because other people don’t care so those of us that do get paid peanuts for what we do. So all of you idiots out there who are killing our careers , please, go and find another job!

R u Victoria Derbyshire or a mod in disguise

rgt1973:
I’ve been in transport fo nearly 20 years now and am I the only one who has noticed that people don’t care about the job any more? Why does nobody speak to anybody else? Why don’t half the drivers out there care what the truck looks like? I know that the employers have alot to answer for and why can’t they see that getting pay and conditions right means you get better staff? I enjoy the job, and get peed off that because other people don’t care so those of us that do get paid peanuts for what we do. So all of you idiots out there who are killing our careers , please, go and find another job!

Some people don’t care I know that but there is still a lot of people who still do care so don’t tar everyone with the same brush. But I do think there are drivers out there who only took their hgv test because maybe they got made redundant or couldn’t get a job doing anything else so therefore to them it’s just a job, personally myself I love my job and I’m glad I do.

rgt1973:

I enjoy the job and I’m a relative “young-un”; viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62487

Bang on the money with this thread

rgt1973:

Are you annoyed about something/someone if so get it off your chest we are hear to listen :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pay peanuts get monkeys

bjd:
Pay peanuts get monkeys

You should have been a driver in the 1950’s when I was a kid riding shotgun with my old man.You don’t know you are born these days regarding pay or conditions.
And the drivers were loyal to the firm then.

It’s hard to get pationate about trucks nowadays when they are all white with stickers on.

Bring colours and painted trucks and ban vinyl wrap.

i put the bad attitude down to being sharfted all the while by every body i have been driving hgv,s for about 26 years the last 10 as an o/d when i started i was the most keenest driver u could ever wish to meet but over the years the job with all the rules getting out of hand common sence gone out of the window all the bullsh#t of health and saftey and being treated like a kid all the while in most cases by people who are old enough to be you kids is enough to give people who are able to think for them selves a bad attitude i keep in this job for 1 reason now and that is i am too old and set in my ways to change and it provides a living for my family and i

If they want you to run legit theres not enough time to wash the motor, not enough time to speak to other drivers and not enough time to smile…

Those that run the show, planners/governers, start at a respectable time and also finish at one too, whereas us drivers are chasing the minutes, driving flat out and pushing the rules as much as you can get away with, because if you dont, guess what, its p45 time… This job would be a whole lot zbing easier without tachos!

rgt1973:

If you think truck drivers are bad, take a trip on a London bus… :open_mouth:

Once upon a time, driving a lorry was a career. One can be proud of a career. A career will eventually leave you at very least with a comfortable living, and a decent pension. :sunglasses:

The comfortable living died about 2002 by my reckoning, and the pension was looted about the same time. :angry:

Nowdays, trucking is a low-paid job below the rate of toilet cleaner in some areas… :cry:

I can only speak for myself with regards to the job, but do you not find the problem of not speaking/only looking out for oneself is a society wide problem and not confined to just drivers?

I’ve been driving around 6 months now and I like to think I have a good attitude on the road. I’ll happily have a chat at the pumps or waiting for a load, I don’t go out my way to look for it though. Keeping the cab clean? Inside I’ll clean out at the end of every shift, random unit every day so its only fair. As for the outside, aside from making sure the mirrors and windscreen are clean there’s not much else I can do about the rest. I am still new though so I’m still enjoying it and I’ve always been one to do the best I can at something.

Why are others like you say? Could be laziness, could be because they do the job because its all they can do and not because they enjoy it. It could even be that years of this lifestyle have turned them somewhat Jaded. There are many different types of driver but I’ve noticed that the new guys who are happy to be given a start try and do the job best they can, along with some of the old hands who are 20 years plus. The guys who are hitting the 8-10 year mark and are maybe starting to get bored seem to be the ones who tale the ■■■■.

The Pariah:
I can only speak for myself with regards to the job, but do you not find the problem of not speaking/only looking out for oneself is a society wide problem and not confined to just drivers?

I’ve been driving around 6 months now and I like to think I have a good attitude on the road. I’ll happily have a chat at the pumps or waiting for a load, I don’t go out my way to look for it though. Keeping the cab clean? Inside I’ll clean out at the end of every shift, random unit every day so its only fair. As for the outside, aside from making sure the mirrors and windscreen are clean there’s not much else I can do about the rest. I am still new though so I’m still enjoying it and I’ve always been one to do the best I can at something.

Why are others like you say? Could be laziness, could be because they do the job because its all they can do and not because they enjoy it. It could even be that years of this lifestyle have turned them somewhat Jaded. There are many different types of driver but I’ve noticed that the new guys who are happy to be given a start try and do the job best they can, along with some of the old hands who are 20 years plus. The guys who are hitting the 8-10 year mark and are maybe starting to get bored seem to be the ones who tale the ■■■■.

Good on you, you sound like the kind of bloke I’d actually want to talk to at the pumps or on the boat. Unfortunately I’ve met too many people who I wished I never had after about three minutes, to bother talking to other drivers any more unless I really have to. Oh the bitter irony…

You can only take so much of the Heralders, chalk-markees, and coners mate. Trust me, you’ll learn to spot them or suffer the consequences…

Jaded, cynical git that I am. :laughing: