Bad accident on the A13 Paris-Caen

Hope this link works

ouest-france.fr/faits-divers … id=1498792

I know that the report is in French, but page down for the video footage

pierrot 14:
I know that the report is in French, but page down for the video footage

That’s a bloody mess, :open_mouth:

Looks like the car transporter ( not surprisingly going by the trailer weight distribution :open_mouth: ) lost control first kicking off a pile up.In which case the zb design of the trailer in terms of axle position hasn’t helped. :unamused:

Carryfast:
Looks like the car transporter ( not surprisingly going by the trailer weight distribution :open_mouth: ) lost control first kicking off a pile up.In which case the zb design of the trailer in terms of axle position hasn’t helped. :unamused:

Carryfast, I’ll help you out here with what happened;

Car transporter was heading westbound towards Caen and crossed the central, nobody knows why yet, he hit the trailer of an artic heading the other way, then jack’knifed the lead part of the combo overturning. the accident also involved several cars, either him colliding into them or them into him.
I wouldn’t say that it had anything to do with the weight distribution, but I can understand what you’re saying if you were under the impression that it all happened on the eastbound carriageway.
2 people, the lorry driver and a car driver, were critically injured and airlifted to a hospital in Paris.

pierrot 14:
Carryfast, I’ll help you out here with what happened;

Car transporter was heading westbound towards Caen and crossed the central, nobody knows why yet, he hit the trailer of an artic heading the other way, then jack’knifed the lead part of the combo overturning. the accident also involved several cars, either him colliding into them or them into him.
I wouldn’t say that it had anything to do with the weight distribution, but I can understand what you’re saying if you were under the impression that it all happened on the eastbound carriageway.
2 people, the lorry driver and a car driver, were critically injured and airlifted to a hospital in Paris.

Yes that’s what I had thought.But it obviously went out of control before crossing the central reservation and collision regardless.

Ironically I ended up being put on a long term close coupled drawbar Scotch changeover job after a similar incident on the M6 involving the regular driver who walked away from driving after it.Luckily no one else was involved in that case.On that note the video of the uncoupled,intact loaded and upright trailer seems to show a bad tail heavy weight distribution, ? which is one of the worse case scenarios for that already flawed configuration.

Although having said that the video also suggests maybe a bad loading plan of light small hatchbacks on the front of the trailer and bigger heavier cars on the back.Which might explain the tail heavy trailer.Although looking at it again the trailer actually still seems to be coupled and the front of the trailer has just been lifted by the over turned prime mover. :bulb:

Carryfast, have you looked at all the videos in the link ? Especially the one by the person behind the fencing .
I have done drawbar myself but not transporters, you mentioned something about the loading, as far as I can see the secondary is equally loaded, the primary all be it a bit of a mess, has got vehicles on the bottom deck and I would think that the cars on the top deck have broken loose.

pierrot 14:
Carryfast, have you looked at all the videos in the link ? Especially the one by the person behind the fencing .
I have done drawbar myself but not transporters, you mentioned something about the loading, as far as I can see the secondary is equally loaded, the primary all be it a bit of a mess, has got vehicles on the bottom deck and I would think that the cars on the top deck have broken loose.

I think that’s the video I was referring to at around 00.32.The possible weight distribution issue which I was describing was the load on the trailer which looks like heavier cars on the back and lighter cars on the front.Although I think that the trailer has been lifted at the front by the rolled prime mover and isn’t actually free standing at that angle which I first thought.