Backloads

Anyone remember the days when many drivers were responsible for finding their own backloads?

There was a network of one-man-band agents around the country. It was usually possible to book into one near where you were tipping, and get a load back towards where you came from. Jack Sunderlands of Kings Langley paid a good bonus for backloads. I guess most general hauliers did.

For us the great standby for a backload was Hulland Ward in Derbys, where you could almost guarantee just turning up and getting a load back towards home within an hour or so of queueing. It was all curbs and and slabs, often handball, and could be bloody hard back-breaking work if expected to unload on your own, but it was regular. Didn’t pay a huge rate, but it was better than running empty, and that concrete went all over the country.

I’ve even loaded low loaders in Hulland Ward. Not really suppose to as it was hardly an indivisible load, but the low deck was much handier for bowling the slabs over the side.

Clay pipes out of Gloucestershire and foam out of the NE were other regular back loads we used, but glass bottles out of Nottingley were carried as a contract back-load for Housdens of Hatfield. Palletised, but very high, they took some careful handling under ropes and sheets.

There were some trampers out there who found their own loads from anywhere to anywhere, but they probably survived on the low rates by driving about 100 hours a week.

Anyone else have memories of regular back-load work that you, as the driver, had to find, using road-side phone boxes that only sometimes worked? It was a nightmare when the agent said he’d phone back, then leave you standing in a cold box for ages, wondering if the phone took calls or if he had forgotten you.

Tone (reminiscing again)

Finding your own return loads was all part of the job in those days as you say . Probably the worst part was finding a phone that worked and somewhere to park the wagon while you rang round, as well as making sure you had plenty of change. When I was tipping in London Minories was always favourite, used to load us out of Borax at Belvedere. Headboard height, on pallets and nice and handy for the Dartford Tunnel then along the A13 round the North Circular and back up the A1 for home. Here’s some pages out of a 1966 copy of the Headlight magazine return load section, I remember sitting copying all the phone numbers out into my little black book when I first started tramping.

Hope these bring back some memories

Gawd that brings back some nostalgia and neuralgia!

Glad to see Smith of Maddiston in there. Shunted for them for a while out of St Albans:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56986&hilit=smiths+maddiston

Did anyone actually buy any of those ‘night vision glasses?’ If they’d’ve worked it could’ve saved the forces hundreds of thousands in NVG sights and goggles!

Tone

stravaiger:
AAARRRGH :angry: Tone,those pics of glass bottles bring it all back. The height, the fright :slight_smile: when your means of getting up and down were Hyster ones. First time I was in there, winters afternoon,cold, getting dark and there I was aloft waiting for the forklift to bring me back down again and the horrible realisation everyone had gone home :open_mouth: :cry: All a baptism by fire of course the buggers were hiding, and all because I looked young and naive.

Remember the corner boards we had to use or they wouldn’t load us? We carried 'em across the dolly wheel brackets. We put them on the loads under the sheets after one of our lads received a very nasty head injury whilst undoing his ropes.

Yes I can remember getting lifted up and down with my sheets on an old pallet. No H&S then!

The worst occasion, sheeting up a high load, was flat pack corrugated cardboard in pallets from Hatfield. As I spread the sheet on top, I stepped between the pallets. They moved outwards, being very light. I descended into the void, surrounded by the sheet. I was tightly trapped. I couldn’t move. I shouted for help. Of course everyone else thought it was hilarious and left me there while they went for a brew. Eventually one of them took pity and helped to haul me and the sheet out.

After that I was much more careful where I trod on top of the load.

Tone

I used to get my own backloads in the 70s,a few names i can still remember are.
LONDON
sammy williams dagenham dock[large paper reels]
ditto tilbury dock timber.
hipwood&grundy tilbury reels,timber,pulp.
convoys woolwich,newsprint
KENT
Crown wharfe rochester pulp
BIRMINGHAM
starr roadways steel
SCOTCH
bolton roadways waste paper,steel
popeye
anything[crap .rates]
loads more but memorys not too good.
regards dave.

canaldrifter:
Anyone remember the days when many drivers were responsible for finding their own backloads?

There was a network of one-man-band agents around the country. It was usually possible to book into one near where you were tipping, and get a load back towards where you came from. Jack Sunderlands of Kings Langley paid a good bonus for backloads. I guess most general hauliers did.

For us the great standby for a backload was Hulland Ward in Derbys, where you could almost guarantee just turning up and getting a load back towards home within an hour or so of queueing. It was all curbs and and slabs, often handball, and could be bloody hard back-breaking work if expected to unload on your own, but it was regular. Didn’t pay a huge rate, but it was better than running empty, and that concrete went all over the country.

I’ve even loaded low loaders in Hulland Ward. Not really suppose to as it was hardly an indivisible load, but the low deck was much handier for bowling the slabs over the side.

Clay pipes out of Gloucestershire and foam out of the NE were other regular back loads we used, but glass bottles out of Nottingley were carried as a contract back-load for Housdens of Hatfield. Palletised, but very high, they took some careful handling under ropes and sheets.

There were some trampers out there who found their own loads from anywhere to anywhere, but they probably survived on the low rates by driving about 100 hours a week.

Anyone else have memories of regular back-load work that you, as the driver, had to find, using road-side phone boxes that only sometimes worked? It was a nightmare when the agent said he’d phone back, then leave you standing in a cold box for ages, wondering if the phone took calls or if he had forgotten you.

Tone (reminiscing again)

canaldrifter:

Tone (reminiscing again)

Hiya Tone,when I suggested that Eddies “Trampers” had nothing in common with the the true meaning of the word it was suggested it was sour grapes on my part!!! This Backload thread should be on the “lightweight” Professional Drivers site! They don’t know they are born honest to god!!! Trampers! they arn’t fit to lace the boots of the “real” Trampers of yesteryear! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya… consort had afew loads to give away they was in a porta cabin on a side street off the mile end rd.
and ■■■■■■■■ i think we got cement products from them out of the old kent works nr the dartfod crossing,
other places have been mentioned like sammy williams and convoys.
when i went onto Hiabs in 77 there was a chap called himself Brickhaul he always had loads to give away
IICR he was in the Dewsbury area but would load you from anywhere in the UK.
We had loaded trailers in Hulland ward so we did,nt wait very often and when i had the Hiab we just went
to the front of the queue.some brick/block and pipe works they would let us load ourselves i bet thats all
gone now.
John

Hiya …Just thinking you lads say about waiting at Hulland ward… did any of you do timber from Tyrers Seaforth dock
wow you could sit there some time. Remember little fat Alan he was on the dock giving the loads out.
One day i saw a chap in the queue on the dock and i was moving all the sheets to back of the trailer setting up.
this chap said it.ll not happen before dinner,and had his paper on the wheel. next miniute a truck appeared dropped
a pack of timber on his sheets and timbers trapping them. he was about 7th in the line but a odd pack for his load appeared
and on his trailer it went. he was flapping all dinner time because his gear was trapped under a 20 pack of timber,
good old days
John

hi all,
great thread john,bewick totally agree with the “lacing of the boots point” :smiley: .my father and many other south wales drivers from the 60’s always mention jack sharkey from newcastle?i believe he ran a clearing house during the 1960’s,based somewhere on the north east? i was only a baby at the time.anyone else remember back loading through him?
regards andrew.

Some I remember from 1968/69.
Webbs Bilston,Round Oak Motor Services Dudley,Hickinbottoms Walsall ,BRS Oldbury and R.Hampton(Patent Shaft)Wednesbury.Always steel back for Sheffield and West Yorks.
Springfield Haulage Salford - zinc bars for Sheffield and Worksop off Salford Dock - Manchester Liners?
BRS Studholme Street Liverpool - timber for Sheffield and Nottingham.
BRS Corby - steel strip for Yorks.Either out of their yard or out of Lancashire Steel.
Grantham Road Services - concrete products from ■■■■■■■■■ Lane side of the A1.Did four loads for them to Goosnargh near Preston.
BRS Redhill (I think) - bagged Fullers Earth for Sheffield/Yorks out of Laportes.
BRS North Kent Rochester - potatoes for Princes Foods Liverpool.
I may be wrong but I think you could load direct off the Reed Paper Group at Sittingbourne,anyway I loaded reels there for Heinz Wigan.
Brunskill Hartlepool,Siddle Cook Consett,RAH Transporters Darlington - steel plate.
Macphees Newcastle - electrodes out of Anglo Great Lakes Scotswood Road.
A clearing house called Humbles somewhere in Teesside - steel mesh out of Firth Cleveland.
Peter Halley Crieff and David Lawson Kirriemuir - seed potatoes for Lincs/Norfolk.
I think it was Worldwide Transport Liverpool - fruit,usually Jaffa oranges.
Mainland Market Deliveries Portsmouth - C.I. tomatoes - always wanted delivering yesterday :laughing:
There are others but can’t remember at the moment.I think Geoffrey Reyner was another,drummed chemicals out of Ciba-Geigy Trafford Park.
And somebody at Workington - maybe BRS or was it H and L? And wire out of Rylands Warrington,I think that was a BRS job.
Our gaffer always wanted us to try BRS first as they only took 5% or 10% (can’t remember - again) off the rate.
Just remembered the old Steel Company of Wales,I think you could load direct off them at Port Talbot.
Somebody will put me right - please. :grimacing:

Here’s the lyrics of a song I wrote in 1979. The loads lend more to poetic licence and rhyme than reality, but it always goes down well in folk song clubs:

DIESEL HARRY (A lorry driving shanty) copyright Tony Haynes 1979

Diesel Harry is me name
Runnin’ dodgy
Lorry driving is me game
With ropes and sheets and dolly 'em down

For forty years I’ve tramped the roads
Runnin’ dodgy (tie line repeated)
Through many a town with many a load
With ropes and sheets and dolly 'em down (tie line repeated)

I’ve hauled 'em heavy, I’ve hauled 'em light
Through the day and half the night

Down to Cornwall I did go
Hauling salt to clear the snow

Then at Penryn I loaded tin
Hauled it up to Kings Lynn

At Harwich Quay I loaded tea
hauled it up to Dundee

At Dunfermline it was empty bins
Returning 'em to Birmingham

At Selly Oak I loaded coke
Hauled it down to Basingstoke

At Sunningdale I loaded Ale
Hauled it over to Ebbw Vale

At Pontypool I loaded wool
Hauled it up to Liverpool

Across from Cork I loaded Pork
Hauled it over the hills to York

At Halifax I loaded sacks
I was dropping 'em at Nottingham

Then empty on the motorway
I made for home and two weeks pay

So don’t resent me passing through
Cos all I haul I haul for you

And all of Britain’s industry
Runnin’ dodgy
Would come to naught if it weren’t for me
Ropes and sheets and dolly 'em down

pete 359:
hi all,
great thread john,bewick totally agree with the “lacing of the boots point” :smiley: .my father and many other south wales drivers from the 60’s always mention jack sharkey from newcastle?i believe he ran a clearing house during the 1960’s,based somewhere on the north east? i was only a baby at the time.anyone else remember back loading through him?
regards andrew.

I often wondered how you got into South Wales Andrew!!! on the back of a loaded 8 wheeler in-bound from Newcastle!!! I bet the shunter got a shock when he pulled the sheets off and found you in an orange box!!! couldn’t resist,well it is the season for it eh!cheers Dennis.PS and I bet you sat up with a bit of “wet and dry” in your hand!!

A few more.
springfields haulage hull timber off the docks.
delmore shipping■■? timber off avonmouth docks
gwynne bowen tinplate out of bsc velindre or ebbw vale

Bewick:

pete 359:
hi all,
regards andrew.

I often wondered how you got into South Wales Andrew!!! on the back of a loaded 8 wheeler in-bound from Newcastle!!! I bet the shunter got a shock when he pulled the sheets off and found you in an orange box!!! couldn’t resist,well it is the season for it eh!cheers Dennis.PS and I bet you sat up with a bit of “wet and dry” in your hand!!

hi dennis,
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards andrew

This Lorry Driving Shanty is all about the escapades of one,Harry Gill,if we all download it for Christmas we’ll knock Simon Cowell’s X factor straight off No 1 spot.but I wonder if its not too late for “H” to lead the life of a “Pop” singer,I’m thinking along the lines of Status Quo or Queen!!! I can just picture him jumping about on stage like Freddy Mercury!! well he would if we plugged him into an amp!!! how about it “H”? Cheers Dennis.

canaldrifter:

)

That first wagon looks like a Smith of Maddiston, !!

Fergie47:

canaldrifter:

)

That first wagon looks like a Smith of Maddiston, !!

If it is SOM its not from the S’hampton depot 'cause the sheets aint a’flapping!!! Anon.

Both Housden’s of Hatfield. I wuz third in a convoy of five until I overtook:

We were on our way to the Royal Oak at Sawtry for a boozy night out.

Now who remembers that as a trucker’s pub? It started out on the west side of the Great North Road, then found itself on the east side, now it’s under the A1(M).

Tone