Back to back hgv training

Is it possible to do back to back hgv training? I.e once you’ve passed your C can you go straight on to do your C+E, without having to first send your licence back to the dvla?

Thanks in advance

Don’t think so.
The way I see it you need to send your licence back after passing class C, then when it returns it has the provisional entitlement on it for C+E

I am very new to this so hopefully someone will be along to confirm/deny this.

In short, no.

When you get your provisional category C entitlement it doesn’t include provisional entitlement for CE. You need to pass the C test and wait for your licence to come back with provisional CE entitlement.

Greeny3:
In short, no.

When you get your provisional category C entitlement it doesn’t include provisional entitlement for CE. You need to pass the C test and wait for your licence to come back with provisional CE entitlement.

This ^^^^

Passing C does not give you Provisional CE until you send your licence back and DVLA add it on. For example, say you pass C today, 24th Oct. You send your licence away and DVLA process it and add Prov CE on 1st November. You will only have prov CE from that date, not the date you passed your Cat C

Back to back C and CE is frequently advertised by the brokers. It’s simply untrue. Impossible. Cant be done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Recently passed my C licence , the examiner sent it away for me , but you HAVE to wait for your licence to return ( which will have your C+E provisional on ) before you undertake any C+E training ,

FYI passed C+E first time after struggling to pass c licence !!

It takes 2-3 weeks to get your updated licence back… So allow that amount of time before booking ce training.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know if this is the case still?

EP Training (i.e. reputable training organisation) offer a back to back c to c+e and state the following “If you have passed the cat C test then you will have automatically gained C+E provisional entitlement”.

This however contradicts info both in this thread and what I have read elsewhere.

Still the same, as you can see in the pic i passed my C on the 19th Sep but can only drive C+E from 1st Oct. Also I think you would need your licence back to be able to take any test anyway

EP Training is a thoroughly reputable organisation. I would suggest that what they actually mean might be that the candidate doesn’t actually have to do anything more to obtain the CE provisional. In other words, having passed the C test, the CE provisional will be automatically added to the licence.

But, as demonstrated above, the provisional entitlement doesn’t start on the day of the CAT C pass. And it would be illegal to drive CE on the public roads without the entitlement.

Most trainers offer “back to back”. But, as I made clear in an earlier post, it’s absolutely impossible to do the courses literally “back to back”.

Personally, I prefer to get CAT C done and passed, then book the CE. Anything else muddies the waters IME.

Here’s a question then, what if you haven’t passed C but you have CE provisional :confused:

The short answer is NO. You will not be able to take the CE test without having passed the C. It’s perfectly possible to hold a CE provisional entitlement before passing C if it’s an old licence (issued before staged training was introduced). That would show provisional C and CE. And whilst it’s perfectly legal to drive a CE with that licence (with the normal rules for L drivers) it’s impossible to take the test.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks, sulking now. Haha I didn’t expect to, but at least I don’t need medical and cpc. Think I need a theory though. The one I took for D1 is 3 years old

Theory for D1 wouldn’t count for CAT C in any case, sorry. You will need driver cpc. You have the choice of doing 35 hours or Mod 2 and Mod 4. Some trainers, us included, can provide CAT C and CE training as driver cpc courses. And you can do ADR which would also give you 28 hours. There’s ways of making this quite painless if you want to pm me I’ll go through it with you.

Was sure my bus theory was bus and lorry, lot of lorry questions if it wasn’t but I could have been wrong, 3 year ago. I have a CPC that’s why the date says 2017 :wink:

Couchwarrior:
Was sure my bus theory was bus and lorry, lot of lorry questions if it wasn’t but I could have been wrong, 3 year ago. I have a CPC that’s why the date says 2017 :wink:

PCV & LGV theory tests are separate

The HPT test has to be done for each even though it is exactly the same test

Do you have C provisional on licence :question:
Did you pass car test before 1997 :question: