Back to an OD or not?

Afternoon all,
Not posted for a while but thinking of getting back in the game after about 15 years out. I have been in Transport/Operations Management for quite a few years now after being an OD for quite a long time, mainly on European Fridge work.
I now find myself in quite a fortunate position, both financially and personally, where i could set back up and start operating again.
So, dilemma is… Stick in management or go drive for someone else or buy a truck and fridge trailer and get back out there?

I appreciate a lot has changed in 15 years but i have kept myself in the loop and up to speed, per say.

So, what would you do■■?

Thanks in advance guys n girls.

Good money to be earned doing Lidl, good enough that the small company my lad is working at in East Yorkshire will run out of Motherwell or West Midlands RDCs all week and pay him max hours no matter what he does. They’re paying a day rate and often you’ll only do one or two stores and sometimes he’s only doing 5 or 6 hrs tops. You’ll need your own trailer, there’s onsite parking 24hrs and showers, restaurant etc at the RDCs.

A lot of work is now paying a premium so you’ll run empty to them instead of paying low rates that need backloads/drops on the way down to make it worthwhile so they can ensure they’ve got lorries they need when they need them.

Also as the UK border checks tighten up there’s likely to be an increase on the unaccompanied trailers traction work, there already has been over the last couple of years.

You’ve been in a position where you should have an idea of what the money is like and you’ve done it before so you know how to run the numbers. I’d say personally at the moment now is as good as it gets for wanting to get into being an OD. And as long as you don’t spend your stash on doing it you’re in a personal financial position where not having a regular wage is an issue. Think I’d lease rather than buy a unit though.

Thanks Conor,

Funny enough, first thought i had was supermarkets but would be prepared to look at anything. Yes, i would buy both truck and trailer as i think it opens up more options.
Only slight downside i have is that i am located in North Norfolk now so a little off the beaten track, however i do have Turners less than an hour or so away as a starter at least.
It’s a tough one to call for myself after having an office job but in all honesty… I miss the driving, it’s been my life since i was a kid with my old man so maybe i should get back into it for old times sake and have a change from the stresses of a busy transport operation.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated and and some good points for me to think about…

Pete

If you’re going to be tramping where you’re based doesn’t really matter. As I said the small haulier my lad works for on the Lidl contracts sends units and trailers empty up to Motherwell to run out of there and that’s 230 miles each way of empty running and it’s paying well enough to cover that.

I would be certainly looking at becoming an owner driver again if I was 10 or 11 years younger, there is certainly plenty of traction work available from what I see & hear

Not 100% sure when, but Immingham area has an expansion in the pipeline, however there seems to be a lot coming through both carriers at the moment as we are flat out on ferry trailers. 2 of our trucks are running day and night 5 days a week minimum.

Ken.

Tough one to call I was in a slightly similar position,I am 59 with a nearly 9 year old euro 5 and my choice was semi retire and do bits and pieces for mates or invest in a new euro 6 and I am on dock work.The sensible thing to do would be pack up but after all these years on the job I do believe it has come right and I am not about to throw all my hard work away just as the job has turned so if I was you I would give it a go if that’s what you really feel like doing do something for yourself,the only downside you will find from the last time is traffic volumes and overnight parking is not as good

I ran my own truck for five years and enjoyed the experience. I earned a reasonable living (but by no means a fortune) and learned a lot along the way but eventually decided it made for an easier life just chucking a set of keys back across the counter on a Friday afternoon and forgetting all about it until Monday without having to deal with an inch-thick pile of letters from the TC, the taxman, the VATman, the bank manager, the finance company, the fuelcard company, Uncle Tom Cobley and all on Saturday.

scaniapete:
Afternoon all,
Not posted for a while but thinking of getting back in the game after about 15 years out. I have been in Transport/Operations Management for quite a few years now after being an OD for quite a long time, mainly on European Fridge work.
I now find myself in quite a fortunate position, both financially and personally, where i could set back up and start operating again.
So, dilemma is… Stick in management or go drive for someone else or buy a truck and fridge trailer and get back out there?

I appreciate a lot has changed in 15 years but i have kept myself in the loop and up to speed, per say.

So, what would you do■■?

Thanks in advance guys n girls.

If I was in your situation of ''being in a fortunate position financially ’ as you say, the absolute last thing I would do with any of my money is spend it on a ■■■■ truck and go back to being an owner driver. :open_mouth:
I’m guessing you are in your early 50s maybe…why not invest your money for a good retirement,.and add to it by getting one of those ‘‘well paid driving jobs’’ we hear about, they ARE out there. :bulb:
Why put yourself under potential stress by trying to compete in a dog eat dog harsh industry, with the big fish (sharks) in transport as a tiddler (no offence btw :smiley: )

Sorry to ■■■■ on yer chips mate, it’s just my opinion.
Good luck in whatever you decide anyhoo. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I ran my own truck for five years and enjoyed the experience. I earned a reasonable living (but by no means a fortune) and learned a lot along the way but eventually decided it made for an easier life just chucking a set of keys back across the counter on a Friday afternoon and forgetting all about it until Monday without having to deal with an inch-thick pile of letters from the TC, the taxman, the VATman, the bank manager, the finance company, the fuelcard company, Uncle Tom Cobley and all on Saturday.

^^^^^^^^^THIS.
Couldn’t have put it better myself.
I don’t regret being an owner driver all those years ago from 23 years old, and progressing to a few trucks,.at least I can say I’ve done it,…and ignore the crap and jibes from those who would never dare to,.and have done ■■■■ all with their lives (as I have heard on here from one or two :smiley: )
But given the time over again, I’d buy a shop instead. : :laughing:

I’d buy a shop instead. : :laughing:

But then you’d have to work Saturdays, do all that stuff Harry said on Sundays and the worst part of all, deal with the bloody public :laughing:

scaniapete, good luck with whatever you decide.

In your position I’d drop full time work and just do odd days wherever for spending money.

Thanks to all that have kindly provided comments and opinions, it’s nice to see everyone’s different takes on it. I have already started the ball rolling with O Licence, parking, insurance quotes etc etc so i think we can all assume how this is going to turn out :open_mouth: . Finding the truck and trailer is the easy part. This also started me thinking…

I did a spell involving heavy haulage, movement orders, TU’s with big hiabs and i’ll be honest, the rates were pretty good, however most of it is offset in the investment of the kit required to actually carry out the job. But maybe a stepframe trailer and do some more ‘niche’ jobs rather than refrigerated?? But the attraction of the nice clean fridge work is a big pull…

Overall, i am keen, excited but obviously wary of returning to not just driving, but also running a business again. The 20 years of being an OD saw some good times, really good times especially for a 21 year old driving throughout Europe whilst most of my mates where in a factory or doing apprenticeships. I can’t lie, the money was also good back then, late 80’s onwards.

I am not disillusioned here either, i am aware that lots of changes have taken place, both legally and from a legislation perspective which means that its harder to make money as laws are tighter and more monitored. We certainly can’t get away with what we used to, thats for sure :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I also tried retiring 10 years ago and lived in France but some became bored, i just wasn’t ready for it so maybe see out the next 5-10 years driving on some good, clean work.
I have looked at properties in France, and also Scanias and trailers this week, and not in that order. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I’ll keep you all posted…

Thanks again all.

Pete.

There is some very good continental work for fridges just now, if you can do a couple of weeks away at a time, and some interesting event style work popping up here and there. I have seen Whites, Harrisons and Sid Hill looking for subbies.

Every man and his dog seem to have a stepframe these days, there’s been a big return to own-account moves for a lot of bigger firms, and the remainder of the work is ferociously guarded by those doing it. But probably nothing new there. I do alright with ‘niche’ moves, but would struggle if I didn’t have anything to fall back on

Your biggest problem might be finding a decent lorry, the prices are incredible at the moment.

If I had that much money I’d rather spend the money on Whiskey and Cigars, I’d also have the local whores on speed dial. At least I would have something to show for my money