Back problem-Sciatica

Just wondering how many other drivers suffer with this.
Mine seems to have got worse just lately.
Excruciating pain starting in the right buttock and extending right down to my foot.
Already on prescribed anti inflammatory pills.
Any suggestions to help would be appreciated otherwise i fear i shall be off to the knackers yard.

I get it a lot down both legs because of my main condition. Personally I would recommend getting yourself one of these:

CLICK

Takes a bit of getting used to, but I never drive without mine. :wink:

Suffered with the exact same symptoms for 12 years. Pain got progessively worse to such an extent that it was keeping me awake at night.
Couldn’t find any position that would alleviate the discomfort. Got by on anti-inflammotory’s. Went to see all different types of physio type people.

Eventually went for an MRI scan which showed quite clearly that the second disc up was bulging out and pressing on the sciatic nerve. (still have the scans at home).

In hospital for 3 days, had the disc removed, 6 weeks off work. This was carried out in 2000 and have never had any twinges or pain since.

I would definately recommend one of those that Lucy mentioned. I had problems with my back after having Becky, a slightly different design to the ones in the picture, and it was a godsend.

hello all , about 18 mnth ago i got sciatica and it got to the point where i could hardly sit in the seat and nights out were unbearable so i went to our local back man,after a few sessions he lent me an inversion table and after about a fortnight the pain gradually dissapeared.you can buy them off ebay for anything from £50 - £150. mine cost about £60 and is champion.when your better you tend not to use is much as you should but if you feel the pain a few times on it and as if by magic the pain dissapears.i still visit my back man every couple of months but i would highly recommend the inversion table.
hope this helps.
reguards steve

I suffered from it and was unable to work for 3 months. It was caused by having a replacement hip because for 41 years I had walked with a very severely damaged right hip. This caused the disc to be compressed and eventually when they made me level with titanium and ceramics. My opposite side disc popped out.

They did consider operating but the MRI showed too much damage so I spent 3 months visiting a hydrotherapist and pool twice a day.

Eventually I got mobile again but still suffer occasionally

If I jump down off the back of a trailer or off a loading bank to often, then I get sciatica exactly as you describe but on my left side.

If I stop jumping down, then the pain goes away.
I don’t jump down any more and don’t get pain either.

leslie g heath:
Just wondering how many other drivers suffer with this.
Mine seems to have got worse just lately.
Excruciating pain starting in the right buttock and extending right down to my foot.

got the same thing myself,but at 35,its not a good lookin future :cry:
i drive an axor unit,leg room n room to move your feet is abysmal,a few of our drivers complain about back n leg pain in these units too,never had this in other wagons?thought it may just be lack of space in cab,as dont suffer at any other time?after 2 hrs driving,im limping when i get out!

move your wallet from the right hand side to the left worked for me,drove a 4 series scanyeeha for a couple of years and got the scania limp,and the pain,moved me wallet sorted

wallets always in side not arse pocket,plus as u know,drivers wallets are paper thin anyway! :unamused:

My sciatica (Scania slap) had got progressively worse over the years. By January 08 the pain was unbearable, so into hospital for disc trimming. I am still recovering and my left leg still gets numbness and pain but it is slowly going. My only regret I should have done the surgery five years ago. :sunglasses:

I also have suffered lower back pain where i am laid up for a week at a time, every year, hardly able to move. funny that i was fine 'til i went on a scani for 3 years then all of a sudden one day, my back went. Neurosurgeon said it was my L4 disc that’s bulging onto the nerves but as i’m allergic to anti-inflammatory, all i can take is pain killers. Sick of losing jobs because of it. 8 years i’ve had it now but i still drive, luckily, we only have 1 scani at work and i avoid it if possible…

whooshwhoosh:

leslie g heath:
i drive an axor unit,leg room n room to move your feet is abysmal,a few of our drivers complain about back n leg pain in these units too,never had this in other wagons?thought it may just be lack of space in cab,as dont suffer at any other time?after 2 hrs driving,im limping when i get out!

mercedes…is it just me?

Dont get me started on the Axor,in fact this includes the Actros coz there just as bad…There is just nowhere to put your left leg, I passed my class 2 lisence 6 months ago, recently got a cushty job driving a brand new axor BUT i cant take it anymore, they sent me to Luton ( from warrington) in it 2day and it was just torture,after an hour you start getting the knee , leg and back pain. In the Axor from a few years ago you used to be able to get your left foot up on the center console for some relief but in the new axor theyve installed some stupid plastic tray which means you cant do that now,or can u? I got a srewdriver out and unscrewed the whole dam tray!! Now I can put my foot up but alll that does is relive the knee and leg pain and start the back going!

Have a look in the passenger footwell…then look at the center console by your left leg …its angled towards the driver! This in my opinion is becuase these trucks are designed in left hand drive and then crudley modified to right hand drive…who drives on the right?england, japan and australia is it? and we are the only country stupid enuff to buy axor style cabs, so why are Mercedes goin to design a whole new floor pan for the transmission to sit in just for England which is prob 2% of there market! There not! They look at there sales each year and see they sell the same amount of trucks wether they modify the fllorpan or not…so why do it? we still keep buying them!

Its the same with all german bulit and designed cars and trucks,its not worth converting the floor pan for left hand drive…I mean its not like the people who buy these trucks drive them, there bought by accountants and office workers that simply look at the price and presume that any of the trucks available will be suitable…and thats my problem…they should be suitable!! There should be some health and safety introduced to check cabs for suitable conditions, if you worked in a office you have a minimum space that must be provided by the employer, why does this not include trucks?..if I made everyone sit in the office i used to work in in the way i have to sit in my wagon everyone would have walked out by lunchtime!!

I just hope that when i get my class 1 lisence i can find a truck that I can live with becuase ive been looking around and ive seen scania’s etc with the same problem.

Oh and check the badge on the door…the axor isnt made by mercedes its made by Chysler!!! says it all really!

Aplolagize for spelling etc, Once i get ranting about these axors I cant stop!

Welcome to Trucknet mystikal :smiley: :smiley: you make some good points that many drivers here will agree with. :wink: