Back on the road

Im not even sure why Im posting this…but I am

15 years ago I came off the road, my wife had just passed away and I had a 1 year old daughter so needed to move into hell/Office work (pretty much the same thing)
Coming from a haulage background (2 grandads, 4 uncles, mum and dad all drivers) it was all Id wanted to do since I was a small boy, and giving it up was one of the hardest things Ill ever have to do.
Fast forward to today and my daughter is off at college all week and doing her own thing, and IM BACK. 1 months notice to work and I hit the road, back for my old boss, tramping on general haulage and Im buzzing my ■■■■ off. Again, not sure why Im posting this, apart from the fact Im so excited I needed to tell someone :laughing: :laughing:

See you on the road fellas…

1 Like

Welcome back…

You’ll find much has changed except of course, the money. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
Welcome back…

You’ll find much has changed except of course, the money. :smiley:

Yeah, somethings never change :slight_smile:

Welcome back to the dark side. I absolutely and totally admire your enthusiasm and I sincerely hope that whilst it may get dented, I hope you’ll never lose it.

Nice one mate, good luck with it…but you will.deffo see a change since 15 years ago.
Even more different types of ■■■■■ hate you and are out to make your life sh…but dont let that put you off, :smiley: … a lot of stuff in tramping is still good if you do it right.

Sorry for your loss…

Welcome back, 15 years is a long time to be away from this industry!!!

Again, not sure why Im posting this, apart from the fact Im so excited I needed to tell someone :laughing: :laughing:

The novelty will soon wear off don’t worry :laughing:

robroy:
Nice one mate, good luck with it…but you will.deffo see a change since 15 years ago.
Even more different types of [zb] hate you and are out to make your life sh…but dont let that put you off, :smiley: … a lot of stuff in tramping is still good if you do it right.

Ive been working in I.T while Ive been away, Im used to being despised :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

drover:

Again, not sure why Im posting this, apart from the fact Im so excited I needed to tell someone :laughing: :laughing:

Pretty much my thoughts too, especially when Daffy experiences the increased rules, regs and assorted must do/mustn’t do’s of today’s industry. I hope someone brings up up to speed with these before letting him loose, otherwise he could be in for some nasty surprises.

Zac_A:

drover:

Pretty much my thoughts too, especially when Daffy experiences the increased rules, regs and assorted must do/mustn’t do’s of today’s industry. I hope someone brings up up to speed with these before letting him loose, otherwise he could be in for some nasty surprises.

Obviously Daffy will be needing to do a full 35hrs of DCPC.
Hopefully, thatll be a enough to get, more or less, up to speed. That should be a plus for the trainer, as there will be at least one who wont be always arguing.

Franglais:

Zac_A:

drover:

Obviously Daffy will be needing to do a full 35hrs of DCPC.
Hopefully, thatll be a enough to get, more or less, up to speed. That should be a plus for the trainer, as there will be at least one who wont be always arguing.

Yeah, that was a bit of an eye opener, but as well as the DCPC Ive been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on to get back up to speed.

good on ya mate, you’ve obvs had a tough time and come out the other side. on a personal note are you in a relationship at the moment as it takes a certain type of woman too be happy with a tramper…

Franglais:
That should be a plus for the trainer, as there will be at least one who won`t be always arguing.

The trainer will probably be grateful that there’s at least one person in the room who is actually awake, alert and not playing Candy Crush underneath the desk.

Well as it stands now, the poster is professionally incompetent but don’t worry, 35 hours of CPC nonsense and he will all of a sudden become professionally competent. Just throw in the odd comment, don’t fall asleep, and grill the trainer as to how on earth you are more competent than before taking the “training”, see what bull ■■■■ he or she comes up with. You may learn bits and bobs but how that takes one from incompetent to competent is farcical.

m.a.n rules:
good on ya mate, you’ve obvs had a tough time and come out the other side. on a personal note are you in a relationship at the moment as it takes a certain type of woman too be happy with a tramper…

I am, shes fine with it thankfully, she can see its all I really want, and its all Ive ever been good at. The woman has the patience of a saint :laughing:

Franglais:
That should be a plus for the trainer, as there will be at least one who won`t be always arguing.

You’ve never delivered DCPC have you? :laughing: Some guys can start an argument in an empty room.

robbo99.:
Well as it stands now, the poster is professionally incompetent but don’t worry, 35 hours of CPC nonsense and he will all of a sudden become professionally competent. Just throw in the odd comment, don’t fall asleep, and grill the trainer as to how on earth you are more competent than before taking the “training”, see what bull [zb] he or she comes up with. You may learn bits and bobs but how that takes one from incompetent to competent is farcical.

What? Bits and bobs like this?
legislation.gov.uk/eur/2020/1054

or potentially also this
transport.ec.europa.eu/transpor … ckage-i_en

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with DCPC any longer, but I’d wager Switchlogic would be happy to see you on one of his courses to see how much you know.

Zac_A:

robbo99.:
Well as it stands now, the poster is professionally incompetent but don’t worry, 35 hours of CPC nonsense and he will all of a sudden become professionally competent. Just throw in the odd comment, don’t fall asleep, and grill the trainer as to how on earth you are more competent than before taking the “training”, see what bull [zb] he or she comes up with. You may learn bits and bobs but how that takes one from incompetent to competent is farcical.

or potentially also this

Thankfully I don’t have to deal with DCPC any longer, but I’d wager Switchlogic would be happy to see you on one of his courses to see how much you know.

Ah righty, you keep copying documents and the like till the cows come home, my point is, and always has been, that without an exam and I mean a worthwhile exam in order to pass the DCPC then i’ts just a nonsense. How sitting 35 hours of guff turns someone from incompetency to competency beats me. Just for your information, I know what I need to know to do my job, I don’t require a jumped up tick box merchant to educate me.

Zac_A:

robbo99.:

or potentially also this

out of interest is that stuff “new” the first link was too wordy for me to get my little pea brain round and the second i haven’t dealt with so know nothing about it

robbo99.:
Ah righty, you keep copying documents and the like till the cows come home,

I wasn’t in need of the approval, but thank you anyway, much appreciated

robbo99.:
my point is, and always has been, that without an exam and I mean a worthwhile exam in order to pass the DCPC then i’ts just a nonsense.

Jesus H! We’re in complete agreement :sunglasses:

robbo99.:
Just for your information, I know what I need to know to do my job, I don’t require a jumped up tick box merchant to educate me.

…and see how long that lasted :unamused:

Yes, you’ve probably been doing it for 30 years and have the “you can’t teach me nowt” response off to a tee, I heard it countless times before so it’s water off a duck’s back to me.

However, all the guys I’ve met who have been doing it for even longer than that, like the guys who grew up as part of a hauliers family and were handling a torque wrench while they were still in primary school, tend to say “every day’s a school day”, so maybe you haven’t been doing it long enough to know what it is you don’t know.