B&M Speke Liverpool

Ive just applied online for a job at B&M They are movimg to Speke in Liverpool and are lookin for drivers.Im wanting to get back on days again.Anyone out there working for them can give me any info on them please.Thanks peeps :smiley:

BigRig, I worked for them up until 2 months ago and if the Speke depot is run anything like the Blackpool depot I’d leave well alone. We were driving old units (Scania’s with 900,000kms on the clock), pulling old trailers and any day we didn’t break down was deemed to be a ‘special’ day :smiley: The drivers are treated like absolute dirt and the warehouse staff even worse. Health and safety was non existent and our drivers room didn’t even have a drinks machine.
The first we knew that the company was relocating to Speke was when a mate of one of the other drivers saw an article about it in the Liverpool Echo (I think) and the powers that be then had to issue a statement, albeit a very brief one, informing the staff of the decision. They then said that they had the lease in Blackpool until 2014 and weren’t going anywhere for the time being, two months later they have set a date for sometime later this year. Very underhand, very sneaky. I personally had a mate there who was suspended over comments he made about them on facebook, another one suspended because he dared to use his initiative one night without ‘asking’ the transport supervisor (who, incidently, couldn’t supervise a bun fight in a bakery). And when people got shafted and dared to speak out they were sacked on the spot, no questions. Have a look at this (and read the comments underneath).

blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black … 6270498.jp

Speke might be a different ball game of course…but the same company at the end of the day…and because of that I would be vary wary

Thanks for the info mate it looks like i might just giv them a miss :open_mouth:

downtons are looking for a new shunter which is opposite the b,m site its a printing factory called prinovis, 4on 4 off take home about £320, i did it for about 4 weeks it wasent for me but everyone is different, on your days off you can drive for them usually delivering magazines nationwide, if that helps you in the meantime? i can give you a number to ring it may be a way to get your foot in the door, othert than that they may take you on as a casual working out of shotton, deeside, send us pm if interested cos i no the shunter there quit yesterday so strike while the irons hot.

Thanks mate ive PMd ya :smiley:

thanks for the insight, know a lot of people who are applying for jobs with this firm.

steviebyday:
thanks for the insight, know a lot of people who are applying for jobs with this firm.

i no there paying £8 per hour through an agency called jet which is in speak they are trying to hire local residents to try and help the local economy, they are also looking for flt drivers but rate is poor,
trouble with the driving it will be tail lift and am sure most of them b,m shops are on high streets and thus resulting in nightmare parking.
it would probably be best to apply for stobbie in widnes its only down the road.

dustylfc:

steviebyday:

i no there paying £8 per hour through an agency called jet which is in speak they are trying to hire local residents to try and help the local economy, they are also looking for flt drivers but rate is poor,
trouble with the driving it will be tail lift and am sure most of them b,m shops are on high streets and thus resulting in nightmare parking.
it would probably be best to apply for stobbie in widnes its only down the road.

I think theyre both as bad as each other :frowning:

dusty, you are right about the rate being poor. We were on £7.88 an hour up here in Blackpool, that’s for permanent nights and after a pay rise (19p an hour). :unamused:
You are also right about the deliveries. A lot of the shops are old Woolies stores and therefore are on high streets where the delivery entrance is either down a poxy alley or in a courtyard you can’t swing a cat in…but we were expected to go in with a full length artic. A lot of the lifts at the shops are only designed for cages yet we were taking pallets of drink weighing about a ton and a half, consequently the lifts wouldn’t work and the pallets had to be split down…that’s if the tail lift on the trailer hadn’t already broken down due to the weight. If the unit broke down you’d have to wait until the nearest lad had finished his deliveries to make his way to you to give you a jump start with the anderson leads. That was their answer to everything. If that didn’t work, then, and only then, would you be afforded the luxury of a fitter. But you might have been sat there for 3 hours already. Everything was done on a shoestring and when you consider the money they are making it tends to stick in the throat a bit. :imp:
As I said before it may be different when they move and I can only think that they are going to get a new fleet because I can’t imagine the lads down there putting up with driving the units and pulling the trailers we had to. We didn’t have a lot of choice because as one of the lads used to say ‘it was the only gig in town’, and they knew it, hence the wages.
Just to sum it up - there was eight drivers resigned the same week I did. :exclamation: :exclamation:
Good job I don’t still work there because they would have sacked me for writing this :smiley:

We deliver into BM @ Blackpool and you are right what you say about H&S.

Last time I was there for a 1400 booking I arrived at 1330 ish and was told “Get to the back of Queue drive you’ll be about 3 hours !”
No explanation.

at about 1500 was told back it in.

No-one to watch you reverse across a busy yard with warehouse and office staff walking behind along with fork-lifts driving around.
When I stopped and waited the guy who’d told me originally to back in was shouting and bauling about crap inexperienced drivers.(I ignored him coz i’ve been driving over 25 years - he must have been shouting about someone else… :smiley: )

Once in the warehouse (well local tip really) you take your life into your hands just undoing the curtains.

All this was reported to our customer but doubt anything came from it.

Hope they get their act together at the new place. suppose it depends if they use the same management or new.

UPDATE Igot a call from B&M Wednesday telling me wot hours i would be working,same as Stobarts nothing extra for working weekends and Bank Holidays.Its £8 ph and they want me to work out of Blackpool until they move to Speke.I was also told they would give me £80 towards travel costs but i cant remember if that was for the month.I declined his offer so im still looking for day work nearer to home.

BIGRIG:
UPDATE Igot a call from B&M Wednesday telling me wot hours i would be working,same as Stobarts nothing extra for working weekends and Bank Holidays.Its £8 ph and they want me to work out of Blackpool until they move to Speke.I was also told they would give me £80 towards travel costs but i cant remember if that was for the month.I declined his offer so im still looking for day work nearer to home.

no wonder you declined!! just another company using the resession to twist the balls off desperated drivers. there has been a few jobs on job centre all around warrington and runcorn.

They are even today,still advertising for Drivers’.Would they still be advertising if they were any good to work for ?

Deathstar:
They are even today,still advertising for Drivers’.Would they still be advertising if they were any good to work for ?

yer every week its in jobbie they keep changing the description slightly

dustylfc:

Deathstar:

yer every week its in jobbie they keep changing the description slightly

It’s always been like that up here, every week they advertise in the Blackpool Evening Gazette, so it sort of tells you something about the company doesn’t it. You definitely made the right choice BIGRIG

Used to take containers there, had no problems, was happy of the wait and happy of the slow arse unloading times too.

On a similar note about the £8 / hr, I applied for a job last month with TDG, got this reply today…

Thank you for your interest in the LGV Job Vacancies within the North West Operations:

The vacancies are not Full Time permanent contracts, there are no guaranteed hours of work.

Please see attachment explaining what the job vacancy consists of, let me know by reply if this is still what you’re looking for.

Kind Regards

Keeley Unsworth

TDG

North West Depot Manager

Talk about companies twisting the bollox off the drivers, using recessions as an excuse… They got a thanks, but no thanks reply…

‘Job’s’ still going if anyone wants the details - it’s in Wigan.

its crap thats y ived applied for job in kuwait

dustylfc:

Will ya get £80 travelling exspenses :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

BIGRIG:

dustylfc:

Will ya get £80 travelling exspenses :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thats how much it is for night out :wink: :wink:

B&M sound like TJ Morris/ Home and Bargain on the cheap !! :laughing: :laughing: