Aylesford, Kent

Hi again everyone, back in 2007 I was going to attend an interview for Sainsburys hgv driver, I attended the interview but didn’t go back to do an assessment drive, as I already got offered another job ( not driving).

I’m sure it was Aylesford, near Maidstone. Are they still there, or any other of the supermarkets there? Or is a a sub contractor such as Wincanton that does the driving?
I think I read on here that Waitrose was in Aylesford, although I may be wrong.

I live outside Rye in East Sussex ,I think Maidstone is the better place for truck jobs, regarding firms based there.

Sainsbury’s Aylesford distribution depot closed several years ago. You may have gone to the Morrisons Aylesford RDC for interview which closed and was taken over by Waitrose, who are still there.There have been several threads enquirning about working for them which have nearly all been positive. Tesco have an RDC at Snodland which is only about five miles from Aylesford.

Clearly you don’t want to work for Jempsons or French’s on your doorstep but Rye to Maidstone every day is a PITA. Ashford direction is awkward but may be a better bet : Ace Movements on Cobbs Wood or Derek Linch at Brenzett. Quinn Farm Services at Woodchurch, CPL Transport (Lumsdens) at Appledore. Roland Barton and Daz Tran both at Lympne. Rob Mercer at Sellindge, Rod Filmer at Shadoxhurst. You could have a look at FB for Kent Hauliers & Drivers

Thanks Cav.
Not having ever worked in the industry, I wouldn’t know what companies to look out for.
I’m newish to Rye , having lived in Tunbridge Wells before, until last year.
You mentioned Jempsons, I have seen some of their trucks around, do you know anything about them?
There is a firm called British Gypsum too, they are near Battle, past Hastings.

Regarding Aylesford, I’m sure it was Sainsbury’s, again this was a while back. I went all the way there to do a theory test and meet with an agency recruiter. I didn’t bother pursuing it as I got a job offer with Kent Police. Left after two years, not my cup of tea I decided.
I know that Tesco had a depot in Thurrock, commutable form Tunbridge Wells but not really from East Sussex.

I also knew a couple of guys who left the buses to go onto other things.
One went to Blakemores in Hastings and one guy went to Warburtons. I think they have a depot near Tonbidge, maybe.

Unfortunately I don’t have his details to find out what they were like to work for, I guess delivering bread is early starts.I think Blakemore delivers to retail shops.

Links to the three most local companies for you. All have been around a very long time. Like all companies you will hear gripes and hatred bandied around about them; there is good and bad with all haulage companies you will need to make your own decision. I had assumed you held and artic licence which is probably more appropriate for the first post of companies. These local ones run rigids as well. British Gypsum is effectively a manufacturer which has its contractors’ vehicles in their livery.

jempsons.co.uk/

bournesmoves.com/removal-company-rye

frenchskips.com/

Thanks Cav for the links.
I’ve emailed Bournes, removals firm so no guarantee of when you’ll finish. International too.
Do you know what Jempsons deliver or what they’re like?
There’s also a company called Lenham Storage too.

I’m sorry I can’t give any information about Jempsons other than that they have always delivered a significant amount of British Gypsum ex Battle. You could try the facebook group I mentioned.

I had ruled out Lenham on distance but if you are interested then I used to work in the garage for them and still call in regularly. They are often looking for drivers. The main issue seems to be organised chaos in the traffic office as far as I can make out, at least that is what I thought going in on Agency. There is artic and rigid work in a roughly equal split. With distance and day work available. At least one line of work is delivering to Waitrose toilet rolls, crisps and biscuits reloading with recycling to the yard at Lenham. There is other work too, Batchelors ex Ashford and for the artics collecting biscuits ex McVities. Well maintained new vehicles and all legal compliance. As with all companies expect some amount of being messed about during the day.No idea about current wages.

AFAIK there are Lenham drivers on this site. There have been comments in the past about them so use the search engine.

RogerOut:
I also knew a couple of guys who left the buses to go onto other things.
One went to Blakemores in Hastings and one guy went to Warburtons. I think they have a depot near Tonbidge, maybe.

Unfortunately I don’t have his details to find out what they were like to work for, I guess delivering bread is early starts.I think Blakemore delivers to retail shops.

Warburtons are at Paddock Wood

Also in the same location are Fowler Welch and Fresh Service (both fridge work)

Good luck with the job hunting

Cool fruit at Lympne seem to be looking for drivers at the moment. I had ruled out Staplehurst Transits on distance and that it is supposed to be trip money for market work nationwide. Freshserve at Paddock Wood is similar work but unknown wage structure. Coolchain P/W I think is only two vehicles mainly on farm collections with long standing drivers.

Thanks guys, I’m still considering my options.Like I said , I feel that my pay isn’t going to go up anytime soon, like lots of people I guess ,and maybe a change is needed.

What are your guys thoughts on the likes of driving for DFS and curry’s PC world?
Hard graft I guess, delivery heavy goods into people homes!