Axminster transport

David Miller:
Please note that in the Truckline brochure that DeanB has posted the Axminster 89 even has the yellow headlights. Now there’s a proper company, duly respectful of National regulations. Was it yours Dennis?

I’ve just realised that about 95% of the people who read this will be saying to themselves ‘yellow headlights, what is the silly old [zb] going on about?’ Well it was a while ago I suppose. But who remembers how cross they used to get with vehicles that had white lights?

David

no david unfortunately the f89 was not mine .think the driver might have been henri who held the record for the fastest time from chard to poole ferry terminal with hanging beef . Having loaded there yourself not the best of roads to travel and always pushed for time to catch the boat . I had one of the Renaults at the time comfortable enough machine but could never match the f89 for power. Dennis

Well boy’s you will be pleased to hear I survived Friday night with Ray Casewell Saturday with a few more of the Drivers from Poole and Shepton Mallet much doombar and red wine consumed,Skittle club outing on Sunday various pubs from West Bay to Exmouth and back ,and yesterday we attended the wine fair in Olympia lots of sampling,and I’m still hear. Thanks for keeping things going in my absence Dave and Dennis.
This is when they were re registered in England Den.

dieseldennis2:

David Miller:
Please note that in the Truckline brochure that DeanB has posted the Axminster 89 even has the yellow headlights. Now there’s a proper company, duly respectful of National regulations. Was it yours Dennis?

I’ve just realised that about 95% of the people who read this will be saying to themselves ‘yellow headlights, what is the silly old [zb] going on about?’ Well it was a while ago I suppose. But who remembers how cross they used to get with vehicles that had white lights?

David

no david unfortunately the f89 was not mine .think the driver might have been henri who held the record for the fastest time from chard to poole ferry terminal with hanging beef . Having loaded there yourself not the best of roads to travel and always pushed for time to catch the boat . I had one of the Renaults at the time comfortable enough machine but could never match the f89 for power. Dennis

Dennis, what was the record then ■■? :laughing:

DEANB:

dieseldennis2:

David Miller:

David

Dean can’t really remember that long ago but it wasn’t the best of roads up to crewkerne up thro’ the gap I cant remember what it was called across the top and down thro’ maiden newton and on to Dorchester then to poole . The road from crewkerne was that narrow on the left hookers we used to pull in driver’s side mirror arms and clip the hedges all the way along .You had to slow down another truck but cars and vans it was keep pedal to the metal as they used to say in those days.
Cliff thanks for the photos glad you had a great weekend bet your right arm aches ha ha . den

Its Rampisham Dennis

kerbut:
Its Rampisham Dennis

Kerbut yes that’s the name I think there was a radio station there a long time ago . Thanks for jogging the old braincells . dennis

dieseldennis2:

DEANB:

dieseldennis2:

David Miller:

David

Dean can’t really remember that long ago but it wasn’t the best of roads up to crewkerne up thro’ the gap I cant remember what it was called across the top and down thro’ maiden newton and on to Dorchester then to poole . The road from crewkerne was that narrow on the left hookers we used to pull in driver’s side mirror arms and clip the hedges all the way along .You had to slow down another truck but cars and vans it was keep pedal to the metal as they used to say in those days.
Cliff thanks for the photos glad you had a great weekend bet your right arm aches ha ha . den

Yes Dennis, i know the road well you are talking about a nasty road in a lorry,especially a left
■■■■■■ can see where you would pull the driver mirror in ! Suppose you would have to be careful
about a roll over as well with hanging meat !

Not sure but i think this may be a Bubbleman pic found it on the internet.

Now there is a coincidence Dennis and Dean talking about the road from Chard to Poole across Rampisham and you of course Nigel. The Volvo you have put picture of Dean was the only french registered one Axminster transport had and it was in a accident on the top of Rampisham and I think was written off,on its way to Poole with a load of hanging meat.

I omitted to say the accident was nothing to do with rushing for the ferry with hanging meat on board, but a woolworths lorry on the wrong side of the road in the fog.Woolworths trailer cut in halve.

Wakey Wakey this one’s in Brittany on way to Roscoff.

This was Roger going over the Mont Cenis, good days had by all lovely food at the restaurant right at the top.As you can see from the mirror I was following in the Berliet.

What happen to Roger ?

Just had a look at the Mont Cenis pass, what a stunning drive that is. Must have made the old girls
struggle a bit coming up from the Italian side thats a steep old climb without the nasty hair pin bends
to get round. Pictures start coming out of Lanslebourg over the bridge and starting the climb from France.

cenis14.jpg

lac_du_mont_cenis_1987_gr.jpg

2131721-Chemin_de_Fer_du_Mont_Cenis_the_Fell_railway_Lac_du_Mont_Cenis.jpg

Heading into Italy.

cenis13.jpg

cenis1.jpg

thFOBOXUXG.jpg

Mountain-road-design.jpg

cenis13.jpg

Coo! :open_mouth: It fair wears you out just looking at those pictures - up and down fistfuls of gears (Fuller ones, of course! :smiley: ); dragging heavy trailers round those hairpins and deciding whether to drop one-and-a-half gears or two whole ones before hitting the apex going uphill. Great pics, mate: keep 'em coming. I shoved quite a few Cenis pics on the Really Nasty Hills thread if you want to see more, and other bloggers added more. Reminds me a bit of the roads from Igoumintsa in Greece going over the mountains to Thesalonica. Robert

I used to love coming back over the cenis , stopping at the restaurant at the top then a great nights sleep .After running around Italy with about 6 or 7 drops then loading fruit it was always the best mozzie free night for sometimes 3 or 4 nights . But sometimes you always found one that had been hiding in the curtains hitching a lift I’m sure it came on board the night before at bologna . great pics Dean and Cliff keep em coming
den

Cliff luxton:
This was Roger going over the Mont Cenis, good days had by all lovely food at the restaurant right at the top.As you can see from the mirror I was following in the Berliet.

Looks like you were in Front of him Cliff :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Always love to see new photos of Cenis…bit eerie to see the road so empty though.
Like everyone else who travelled that route, have great memories of it.

Dead right Dennis. Although it was always late leaving either Cesena or Forli I always punched through to the mountains for that first human nights sleep for days and days.

Memories, memories.

David