Axle Weights

Only being an ex trucker and semi retired when driving about I notice on some trailers that at the rear especially on tandem axle trlrs that there is a series of holes in the frame work, is that to adjust your axle weights for when you scale out? As an ex I still take an interest in the trucks over here.

ray

Yes it is. As you probably know, in the US the maximum gross weight is 80,000lbs and many/most states dictate that that weight has to be broken down to no more than 12,000 on the steer axle, 34,000 on the drives and 34,000 on the trailer, which is where the sliding axles come in. Many 5th wheels also slide but to be honest, I always run my steers at about 12,600 and I’ve never had a second look. Some states, such as NY allow 36,000 on the drives and trailer so its easier to balance things but only if you’re not then going in to a state where its the standard 34,000.

I ran down to Florida this week with my steers at 12,300 (not full of fuel when weighed), drives at 33,540and trailer at 33,860 with a gross of 79,700lbs.

Thanks robinhood_1984, very interesting read, as I say I gave up hgv,s in 92 but I still like the trucks here, by the way did you read my post on falling asleep driving on pro drivers forum, thanks again. Oh I do miss the old days on log books 70,s and upto when the taco,s(bell) came in. :laughing:
ray

Still on paper log books Ray, and will be until the last day. When the US government tries to force their ‘total control’ on my job and way of life, it’ll be time for me to do something else. I don’t know what that will be yet, but hopefully something will become apparent.

one thing I don’t miss about pulling vans is moving those f**kin’ axles. I will tell you that whenever possible my fith wheel was as far forward as it would go, my Euro running days taught e this is the most ecconomical way to run, it creates less drag.

Pat Hasler:
one thing I don’t miss about pulling vans is moving those f**kin’ axles. I will tell you that whenever possible my fith wheel was as far forward as it would go, my Euro running days taught e this is the most ecconomical way to run, it creates less drag.

Exactly. They bang on about emissions here now and eco running and yet build trucks so that to get the steer axle anywhere near legal you have to run with the 5th wheel so far back that you could build a small corner shop in between or carry a few extra pallets on the catwalk. As I said above, I tend to run at about 12,600lb on my steers when I’m fully loaded and full of fuel, yet my 5th wheel is about only half as far forward as it could go.

Robinhood,
the US DOT probably didn’t bother you about 12600 on your steers because in all but about 4 states you can run up to 20,000 on a single axle, which includes the steers.
I read it in the Rand McNally mapbook which lists the axle weights in every state and I had it confirmed to me when I asked at a scale in Wyoming, as long as the tyres are rated for that weight.
Where we are stuffed is Canada is is 12000.

neilg14:
Robinhood,
the US DOT probably didn’t bother you about 12600 on your steers because in all but about 4 states you can run up to 20,000 on a single axle, which includes the steers.
I read it in the Rand McNally mapbook which lists the axle weights in every state and I had it confirmed to me when I asked at a scale in Wyoming, as long as the tyres are rated for that weight.
Where we are stuffed is Canada is is 12000.

Only if the steer axle is rated above 12,000, which mine isn’t. I run at 12,600 in Canada also and have done for the past five years and never had a word said about it.

The aerodynamics of trucks in this continent astound me :laughing: :laughing:
They put these stupid trailer tails on some trailers that look like cardboard doll theaters :laughing: Put side skirts on box vans (which is not such a bad idea) and hook them to something in front that has the aerodynamics of a garden shed :laughing:

good reading here but Pat and the garden shed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
ray

Not all the states are the same when you get caught over weight either, i got caught in Illinois and had to remove some of the load to be legal before i could leave the weighstation. Got caught in Ohio once but they just fined me then let me go still overloaded.

Charles

Charles its all about the money here in Ohio :laughing: :wink:
ray

I got caught in NY state overweight, by a lot. They let me go with the load as it was and I attended court a few months later to get the $1500 fine slashed in half. Happy memories…not.