axle bushes

anyone done axle bushes on a trailer,spent 2 days doing mine,bushes measure 150 mm hole measures 140 mm, but got it in after boss machined/made tool for pressing them in,still got other axle to do,so thats my job for wed/thurs this week.

The axle manufacturers usually do a tool to do them but they’re not usually much good and no more than a drift and threaded rod and nut to tighten type thing, when the hardest thing is getting them started. I usually put them in the freezer and use copper slip to get started even though they say you shouldn’t.

A meaty press makes bush replacement easier but using a jack to press against the flat underside of trailer chassis rail can work well with a suitable drift if need be.

well finally got the trailer in the workshop to do the other pivot bushes on the 3rd axle,piece of ■■■■ really,dropping the axle takes about an hour,old bushes out in 20 mins,so alls ready for the new ones to go in tomorrow morning,an jobs a good un.

Used to do them on livestock trailers, prop axle up, do an arm at a time.
Take off, burn them out, clean the hole up and then use copper slip and the press to put them back in. Other side, then next axle. Could do a trailer in a day with much swearing.

didnt need to burn old ones out,long shafted mash hammer soon took them out,holes cleaned up with needle gun,we use hand cleaner to pull them in with,only front an back axles needing done,front one done already.

What the hells an axle bush? You mean radius link metalastic bush or are you still running on steel and you mean compensator cones.What type of axle SAF,Meritor,BPW ,Daimler Benz?

Air suspension has an “air spring” a bag to you and me.The radius link just does the same job as the “A” frame on a tractor and keeps the axle in alignment.Usualy have a vernier plate or snail adjuster fitted to stop tyre scrub.

merc axles,didnt know the bushes had a particular name,just knew them as pivot bushes.

From the fact that the OP says the bush is 150mm diameter, I guess he means what many would call the spring eye bush.

no not the spring eye bush,its got airbags and a pivot bush at the front,merc axle,so no springs.