axel weights

how do you work out your axel weights???just that now i am carrying plaster boards ect and a 2.5tonne moffet on the back i am wondering

Find a weigh bridge what weighs individual axles :laughing:

It will tell you on the plate that should be on the passenger side inside the cab

simon

SimonRS2K:
It will tell you on the plate that should be on the passenger side inside the cab

simon

front 7
2 rear 9.5 each

so do you just spread the load so that its sorta even over the axels

i have never had to worry too much about this in the past but at present i have a branch manager who is a numpty and has not got a clue

With a Moffet on the back surely you should be alright as far as fthe front axle is concerned even when part-loaded? I would think the Moffet would act as a conter-weight as it’s behind the rear wheels. Maybe someone who knows more could say whether I’m right or not■■?

Shaun take a look here it explains all about it

chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pagel … htm#rigids

simon

ta :smiley:

Front 7
2 Rear 9.5

I thought the combined axle weight figures were often more than the gross vehicle weight to allow a bit of leeway (I seem to recall hearing about heavy duty axles) ?

mrpj:
Front 7
2 Rear 9.5

I thought the combined axle weight figures were often more than the gross vehicle weight to allow a bit of leeway (I seem to recall hearing about heavy duty axles) ?

As Simon said, go by the plating certificate, that is the weight you are permitted to use in the uk, anything else and you will have VOSA on your back.

My truck has a 13 tonne drive axle, I cannot load it to 13 tonne in the uk though

Quote: “My truck has a 13 tonne drive axle, I cannot load it to 13 tonne in the uk though”

That was the sort of thing I was refering to. I once drove a two axled rigid with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 18t, however both axles had a limit of about 10t. Whilst I understand 18t was the limit, the idea was to stop overloading on an individual axle. If I understand correctly if all the axles equal the GVW exactly with no extra there is potential for overloading even if the vehicle as a whole is within the legal limit (does that make sense?!)

on the plating certificate there is 2 columns. weights not to be exceeded in the UK and Design Weights.

My truck is a French Renault as opposed to a UK spec Renault. I can run in France at 13 tonne axle weight but my Gross is only 40 tonne

Old Volvo F88 were plated for 52 tonne in 1973 but the weight limit in the UK was still only 32 ton

Wheel Nut:
on the plating certificate there is 2 columns. weights not to be exceeded in the UK and Design Weights.

My truck is a French Renault as opposed to a UK spec Renault. I can run in France at 13 tonne axle weight but my Gross is only 40 tonne

Old Volvo F88 were plated for 52 tonne in 1973 but the weight limit in the UK was still only 32 ton

Thanks for the reply.