Avoid or not

Hi all

First post :slight_smile:

I currently work HGV class 1 in the Uk

I am currently looking to move to Canada mainly for a better future for my boys
Can anyone tell me the best companies to apply for and who to avoid

Thanks

Look at it realistically any firms that need to recruit overseas ain’t going to be the greatest job is it?
However there are decent enough jobs for us in Canada. Really you need to look in to where you want to live in Canada as its a huge and very varied place.

Very well put Kev :slight_smile:
Any company that has to recruit from the other side of the Atlantic has to be desperate for drivers because locals will not work for them.

Pat Hasler:
Very well put Kev :slight_smile:
Any company that has to recruit from the other side of the Atlantic has to be desperate for drivers because locals will not work for them.

…and then many of the foreign drivers wont work for them and return pronto to the UK or where ever they came from so more and more and more come and more and more and more leave and the magic merry go round continues.

It does but there’s a few that ain’t to bad and if you have the right attitude and circumstances you can make a go of Canada

But you have to look in to the place you live. I like Manitoba in lots of ways and in my opinion it offers a good compromise. But there’s so many different faces to Canada you have to choose the one for you

Thanks for all the information
I had heard it can be pretty crap for the first couple of years, I have got an interview with H&R on Saturday but their feedback is not brilliant, but is this due to a different expectation.
I am a worker the only thing that winds me up is when trucks keep breaking down and not repaired fully so your unable to do the work.

I’d avoid Canada and the states then there workshop practices will have you pulling your hair out lol

aye, find a company that runs older trucks lol…no DEF crap an less electrics.
you would be hard pushed to find trucks as old as i drive so …find something mid 2000s :unamused:
jimmy.

My company does seem to keep up to date on servicing and maintenance etc, some are very far behind, the new CSA points scheme seems to have made companies buck their idea’s up a bit, when the driver gets a ticket for unsafe vehicles (even bulbs out) the company get more points than the driver.

Boro123:
I am a worker the only thing that winds me up is when trucks keep breaking down and not repaired fully so your unable to do the work.

Don’t bother coming here then, any truck newer than 07 will be an unmitigated disaster and that is a fact :cry:

05s ain’t much better either I can tell you, I’m writing this in a Peterbilt garage, although to be fair it isn’t the truck’s fault, some spotty oik with a set of jump leads tried using them as a welder on my ECM :imp:

FFS , mine was booked in 5 days previously to have the fuel tank aligned for the third time , 24 hours after my partner (driving) dropped the truck into the dealership it was still sat in their compound untouched , useless mongs the lot of them !
Needless to say that encouragement was given in an Anglo Saxon fashion , which fell on deaf ears with these dimwits :unamused: , and there was me thinking rednecks were a MB affliction :smiley:

I was pleasantly sprised to hear one of the fitters speak in a familiar accent, turns out he’s from Aylesbury and worked at an MB dealership before coming here, having worked for Merc myself made me his new best mate and the sparks that’s working on my motor joined in the fun, so I’m hoping they do a decent job, although the DH from Peterbilt in Kamloops who fried the electrics will not be sending me any xmas cards, we could be looking at a new ECM, as well as the starter motor, a wiring loom and 3 days labour at $150ph, they’re already down nearly $2k for the new radio, amp and CB they [zb]ed up, plus whatever my lot charge them for the lost time :blush:

Know how ya feel NMM…last yr i was voluntered to take the tridem drive into Mack (wpeg) the usual driver wont drive in the city :unamused: .
well long story short ,it was due an upgrade to the ECU/ adjust etc…so i was there at 6.30 am ,wont take long lalala.
430pm i was asked to phone base and get the boss to send someone in to pick me up (no van available for me to go home).
seems a person or persons unknown had fried the ecu etc when in Macks workshop.
must have cost Mack a fortune as we charged them my time & transport back to base and off course the cost of repair (3days).ji,
jimmy…

STOP PRESS , HOLD THE FRONT PAGE !! NMM has a working CB at long last :laughing: :laughing: