Average Speed Check

Just which part of the words ‘Average Speed Check’ do people not understand ■■ I mean, we’ve all seen ‘em, they come flying past you through the ( usually ) 40mph sign and then it’s a sea of brake lights as they slow for the camera, and then off again only slowing for the next one not flippin’ realising that it’s already too late… dumb schmucks ! :unamused:
Sorry to say that it’s not only ‘White Van Man’ or car drivers either :confused:
And while I’m on my soapbox, anybody else heard the spurious rumour that changing lanes between the cameras supposedly ‘confuses’ the system and thus avoids being caught ■■
Sounds like Tripe to me, and I certainly ain’t condoning it just curious to see if anyone else has heard it ■■?

Some of the cameras only cover laves 2 and 3.

Also if your a car driver hogging the space by trailer wheels is usually enough to duck the first camera as its can’t see your number plate.

Of course, there’s an even more foolproof way to avoid getting caught by SPECS cameras…Don’t speed through them… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

(Tin 'at on and running… :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

Bigg Mike:
And while I’m on my soapbox, anybody else heard the spurious rumour that changing lanes between the cameras supposedly ‘confuses’ the system and thus avoids being caught ■■

i have heard of that although i wont be the guinea pig who tests it. i stick to the limit through them and allow the numpties to speed if they so wish

Came up through the M1 roadworks at Luton early hours of wednesday morning and couldn’t believe the ford focus driver who went through the roadworks at about 70 mph.
He just ducked behind an artic near the cameras slowing down , about a ■■■ paper from the rear underrun bar. Then ducked back out past the camera and up to speed again. He went past every camera like this.
Probably the nearest you’ll get to stelath mode ! :smiley:

Come the day when ALL vehicles are tagged for satellite tracking :exclamation: :wink:

ROG:
Come the day when ALL vehicles are tagged for satellite tracking :exclamation: :wink:

and on that day, all speed limit signs will automatically restrict the vehicles to that speed limit :unamused:

just to clarify, i have not heard of such a scheme but im sure i am not the only person here who can see it coming

I think the main reason lorry drivers dont speed though specs is the majority of even fairly crappy lorries have cruise control. Set it and relax.

Cruise control…shudder

Prefer to drive the dman thing, not just steer it, personally… :wink:

Just a quick point, if you see most averaging camera sites now the very first and the last set have cameras facing front and back. Seems they can be a devious as mr Focus :astonished:

Mind you though my own opinion of speeding through roadworks is that it is about the most selfish and dangerous thing a driver can do. The guy’s working just a few feet away are just doing a job and have families too so the speed limits are there for their protection not just an inconvenience.

Have noticed though that without sounding sexist or ageist, that females and the older generation who either stick religiously to the limit or 10 miles below it, hit the roadworks and carry on at the same speed!! :open_mouth:

Lucy is that Shudder caused by the cruise control on the IVECO!! :smiley: :unamused:

It’s caused by any cruise control…I’ve never used the one on my current Iveco. Far too risky. It’d tell me that the trailer brake lights were out as revenge for making it think. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note, unless it’sfor keeping the revs up when you’re using a PTO - in which case a hand throttle does the job just fine - I can’t really understand anyone liking cruise.

Let’s face it, we all go around whining about speed limiters and how boring they make a drive and how that adds to driver fatigue yada yada yada…Yet how many of those same people switch on a device which does basically the same thing, and doesn’t even require you to keep your foot on the throttle? Hell, with a Stralis in Auto you don’t even need to worry about changing gear, it does it itself to bring you back up to cruise speed over hills…and the driver-set speed limiter will stop you tearing down the other side.

Is it me? (Probably. Usually is. :blush: )

I like cruise on motorways as a tool for resting my ankle but don’t tend to leave it permanently on…living in Wales there’s not much opportunity as even on the M4 you can barely go 10 miles without finding yourself going downhill and needing to do something about it!
I do like having a limiter function in a city centre though, I find I’ve enough to do with navigating in a strange area and managing car drivers so if someone else can keep an eye on the speed limit for me that helps - especially on the odd occasions I find myself in an auto.

Have to agree with that, Tony 1968 and Lucy, the self set limiter is a God send , in fact I think it should be a standard safety feature cos, as you say,It doesn’t cancel itself but most importantly doesn’t take control of the vehicle and lets you get on with the job of driving without worrying about nudging over the limit. Can’t be bad !
Having said that, we recently underwent SAFED training as part of a level 3 NVQ, and I was suprised at how much emphasis was placed on the use of cruise control, as often as possible in fact, even on single carriageway A roads and duel carriageways ( even on short stints ). Didn’t feel ‘right’ somehow but it was definately required in the second drive as a demonstration of competence, as requested by the instructor !
I mean… I can see what they’re trying to achieve but there’s a time and a place, surely ■■ :confused:

dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1770

I like the remark “Police have urged motorists not to eploit the flaw in the system”. LOL

Thanks Qhunter ! Guess that answers my original question :open_mouth:
Ain’t just a loophole it’s a flippin great Black Hole surely ? Well, as Lucy and the article said, No Speeding = No ticket. Sounds about right to me :wink:

Lucy:
Of course, there’s an even more foolproof way to avoid getting caught by SPECS cameras…Don’t speed through them… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I’ve heard about that, but you won’t get me being the guinea pig trying it first! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What gets me with these Specs cameras is…Why have so many of them? Surely all you need to calcuate an average speed on a given lenght of road is one at the start and another at the end, but there always seems to be several positioned along the restricted stretch.

Qhunter:
Drivers can avoid speeding tickets...by changing lanes | Daily Mail Online

I like the remark “Police have urged motorists not to eploit the flaw in the system”. LOL

you would have thought that modern technology could have sorted out the flaw :question:

ROG:

Qhunter:
Drivers can avoid speeding tickets...by changing lanes | Daily Mail Online

you would have thought that modern technology could have sorted out the flaw :question:

Ah, but it isn’t a flaw in the technology, it’s a flaw in the way the law is worded.

Simon:
Ah, but it isn’t a flaw in the technology, it’s a flaw in the way the law is worded.

Just missing the F? isn’t it? :laughing: