Average Speed Cameras....

Passed HGV tail end of 2010 and have found this website and forum a great source of info, now have question to pose…

I presume the average speed cameras around the Nottingham/Grantham/Spalding route are sophisticated enough to recognise from your reg plate that you are in a truck and hence limited to 40mph on non dual carriageway roads? I only ask because I seemed to be the only truck sticking to 40 today when I travelled this route…

Am I missing something here? What is the score with these Average Speed Cameras and wagons?

cheers

TRBH

You presume correctly!

I think they use ANPR technology linked to a database.

It wouldn’t surprise me if more and more static cameras are updated to use this tech in the near future too.

This may well be an urban myth but I heard that an average speed camera can only track you if you stay in the same lane between passing the two cameras

Dakota:
This may well be an urban myth but I heard that an average speed camera can only track you if you stay in the same lane between passing the two cameras

I believe it used to be true although not any more.

Dakota:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i heard that on some specs set ups there was some kind of pressure plate that triggered if u was over 7.5 tonne.don`t know how true it is but u can see on some of them that there has been an oblong hole cut in the road surface

Dakota:

Yeah, it’s a Level 5

A few months ago I followed a driver from a well known supermarket through the average speed cameras on the Essex section of the M25, very early morning and traffic was light, and he was doing this moving to a different lane thing. Problem was, ignoring the fact it’s ■■■■■■■■ anyway, he hadn’t quite grasped the concept and travelled between the cameras in lane 1 and only moved to lane 2 as he passed each camera thereby passing every camera in the same lane. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: Still, who knows, maybe every little does help. :wink:

Cheers for replies so far…

When average speed cameras were initially used on motorway roadworks a few years back the system used a rudimentary (relatively!) reader system that was indeed unable to interpret results if a driver switched lanes between them - I only know this as an old work colleague sold the software to the traffic management companies! I would guess that this quirk has now been fixed as the prevalence of average speed cameras has increased…

I suppose my point in my initial post was how do people get away with travelling so fast without incurring points (assuming cameras are switched on)…

On my journey between Nottingham and Spalding on Tues morning there are a number of stretches of single carriageway main roads with av speed cameras, doing about 44mph I had queue of artics behind me…every time I pull in to let them past they disappear into the distance so must be travelling at closer to 50…surely enough to raise the average speed and trigger a fine??

In a nutshell - Has anyone been caught on these accross the UK and what sort of speeds were recorded?

I’m guessing drivers who use the route regularly have taken a chance and realised they can get away with it. On the motorway ones with a 50mph limit there is no problem sitting on the limiter. I’ve heard that they get triggered at around 65mph, but I don’t know of anyone who has been caught.

My question would be if the average speed section is stated as 50, why do people do 40?

TheRustyBulletHole:
In a nutshell - Has anyone been caught on these accross the UK and what sort of speeds were recorded?

I’ve seen the letter, which included 4 photographs taken at various stages through the roadworks between 10 and 13 on the M1, for someone who was being done for averaging 62 mph in a car. The limit through there is 50.

Several years ago near Rothersthorpe, I think, there was a speed camera in the road works that flashed both your speed, and registration up on an LED board by the roadside

Not a lot of people know that! :stuck_out_tongue:

The Saxmachine:
My question would be if the average speed section is stated as 50, why do people do 40?

Because stupidity can not be used as a reason to prevent someone gaining a licence :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Several years ago near Rothersthorpe, I think, there was a speed camera in the road works that flashed both your speed, and registration up on an LED board by the roadside

Not a lot of people know that! :stuck_out_tongue:

I came across this on the M20 near Ashford about 1989/90. The camera was nowhere to be seen but you couldn’t miss the big matrix board when it lit up! I suspect this was testing the technology that’s with us today.

My two penath on this is

How much did I pay for my licence (a lot)

would the company I work for help me get my licence back if I lost it through speeding (doubt it)

if the sign says 50 i do 50

Jen x

I recently delivered the metal casings that contain the cameras to the roadworks on the M18 near doncaster and asked the engneer who was about to fit them the odd question like you do, and he said to me that not all cameras work (ie they are dummies) and they are mostly set to 57mph(well the ones they fit are).

Some people fly through those cameras, always wondered what the tolerances are on them.

Saaamon:
Some people fly through those cameras, always wondered what the tolerances are on them.

As with all speed cameras the police guidance is for a tolerance of 10% plus 2 mph.

That doesn’t mean you can’t get done for less then +10% plus 2 mph of the speed limit though :wink:

I’ve found 51 or 84kph doesn’t flash up any cameras!

But at the same time I think Jen is very wise. I have recently learnt that if you don’t speed thats one thing less to draw attention to yourself. But then I also had my instructor say that the examiner will accept 2 over the limit on a test but obviously not 5!