Average Speed Cameras

Was out for a ride on my motorbike on Saturday and on my way home from a 335 mile round trip was coming down the A1 and went thru these average speed cameras.

How do they work - just i was maybe going a little over the posted 50 limit but if they read your numberplate then I am in luck as bikes dont have front plates.

they were actually talking about this on the radio this morning, dont think they got a reply for what happens to bikers, but they said alot of people have been done by them, as alot of people including myself thought they were just bluffers :blush:

Yep, they take your front number plate and time how long it takes to get between two points. Dividing the distance between the two points by the time it took results in the speed you were travelling at. Generally speaking, they’re quite generous in their tolerances and are really only there to catch out the complete idiots. I dare say bikes are immune, but I wouldn’t want to be the one to find out either way :smiley:

Surely SPECS would ignore bikes as it cant “see” them because when they scan the road they dont have a number plate to lock onto :question:

unless if an operator is at the terminal and they just go by the times the “photo” was taken by the different cameras then look at a picture from one of the cameras facing the other way :question: , i dont know how good the long distance quality is on those camerax if they can pick out a number plate on a vehicle traveling the other direction on a dual carriageway :question: :question:

manowar:
Yep, they take your front number plate and time how long it takes to get between two points. Dividing the distance between the two points by the time it took results in the speed you were travelling at. Generally speaking, they’re quite generous in their tolerances and are really only there to catch out the complete idiots. I dare say bikes are immune, but I wouldn’t want to be the one to find out either way :smiley:

As always
Discrimination :laughing: against the car / truck /bus / coach driver

there is also a flaw in the system, if you drive through the first one at 70Mph in lane 1 and stick to 70Mph all the way through, if you change to lane 2 before the second one, it won’t register you.

it cannot identify the ones who change lanes between them :smiley: :smiley:

shuttlespanker:

That has now been recified - they now tie the cameras together by computer and it’s based on the ANPR operating system

Have you also noticed that one camera is being used for all the lanes - again, that is the advantage of the ANPR system - it can do multi lanes at once

ROG:

shuttlespanker:

That has now been recified - they now tie the cameras together by computer and it’s based on the ANPR operating system

Have you also noticed that one camera is being used for all the lanes - again, that is the advantage of the ANPR system - it can do multi lanes at once

Yes, the first set take a picture and time stamp it, then the second set of cameras do the same. then the ANPR matches the pictures and works out the speed.

They have now got these on the M4 between Jct 24(The Codra) and Jct 39(cardiff Gate). it’s a 50 limit right through and lots on men in blue on motorbikes hiding around there too:shock:

They can’t catch motorbikes because they read the number plate from the front, same with some of the newer gatso type cameras MONTRONS or whatever they are called which are forward facing speed cameras again can’t catch bikes.

But there have been cases of people doing silly speeds on bikes past them on purpose i.e. 120mph + or doing wheelies past them because they think they can’t be caught. If you do something really bad they will pass it on to the police who will come looking for you, which may or may not be an easy task.

Trouble with a lot of Jap bikes espec they like to change the colours or designs each year, so can be quite easy to tell the make model and year, then look for registared owners with that type of bike in the area, espec like some people who were going past the same camera every weekend setting it off.

Thanks for all the replys folks I will just have to wait and see what happens - i was not that much over the 50 nearer 60 but as they say will wait and see if an envelope pops thru the letterbox

Def cannot do you on your bike but beware if you go up to the Cat and Fiddle they are putting them in there specifically to catch bikes as they read the rear nunber plate.
Few other places around the area going to do it as well and when Brunstroms storm troopers in N. Wales get on the case it will not be worth even going over the border