Average Speed Cameras - at night

Simple question:
Do average speed cameras work at night and, if so, how do the ‘see’ a number plate without a flash?

Early this morning on the M6 in Birmingham I seemed to be the only one sticking to the 50 limit through the roadworks.

They also work on low level infra red to give them night vision.
At least when you stick to the limit, you won`t be risking a fine for the sake of losing a minute or two journey time

peirre:
At least when you stick to the limit, you won`t be risking a fine for the sake of losing a minute or two journey time

They do indeed see in the dark exactly the same as CCTV camera’s do that use ‘IR’ LED’s!
If your ever a passenger in a vehicle and get the chance, try pointing a smartfone camera at them, you can then see the IR LEDS in the picture!

peirre:

That did occur to me but I didn’t think it would overcome the headlamp glare.

OnlyAlan:

peirre:

That did occur to me but I didn’t think it would overcome the headlamp glare.

the light is a different wave length, so with the camera looking down and not directly into the headlight, it will view the image even if its in some of the glare

I wonder why, with such technology for catching speeders, the CCTV images of criminals, robbers and wrong doers are normally so blurry and poor?

Perhaps the images of the no. plates would be too?

OnlyAlan:
Simple question:
Do average speed cameras work at night and, if so, how do the ‘see’ a number plate without a flash?

Early this morning on the M6 in Birmingham I seemed to be the only one sticking to the 50 limit through the roadworks.

Apparantly there is a tolerance of 10%+2 so technically you are ok being on the limiter in a truck. Loads of trucks power through the m62 roadworks on the limiter at night as well.

Really dont see the point in risking it though. Going 5/6mph slower for a couple of junctions doesnt make any difference to your day.

I can say hand on heart that I go through them all at 60 in my transit, just to keep out the way of the trucks never been or heard of anyone being done.

I have noticed that some have floodlights immediately before the cameras.

OnlyAlan:
Simple question:

An extract from Wikipedia

About SPECS cameras

SPECS cameras operate as sets of two or more cameras installed along a fixed route that can be from 200 meters (660 feet) to 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) in length.[1] They work by using an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system to record a vehicle’s front number plate at each fixed camera site. As the distance is known between these sites, the average speed can be calculated by dividing this by the time taken to travel between two points.[2] The cameras use infrared photography, allowing them to operate both day and night.
There is a popular misconception that the Home Office has approved the SPECS system for single-lane use only. According to this theory, a motorist can therefore switch lanes between cameras and claim non-approval to avoid prosecution for speeding.[3] However the marketing director of the manufacturer, Speedcheck Services Ltd, has stated that this theory is “categorically untrue”:[4]
“ Until recently, the only HOTA available applied to cars maintaining their lanes. However a new test schedule was carried out last year, which means that average speed checking can be applied even where cars change lanes.

andytrew:

OnlyAlan:
Simple question:

An extract from Wikipedia

About SPECS cameras

SPECS cameras operate as sets of two or more cameras installed along a fixed route that can be from 200 meters (660 feet) to 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) in length.[1] They work by using an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system to record a vehicle’s front number plate at each fixed camera site. As the distance is known between these sites, the average speed can be calculated by dividing this by the time taken to travel between two points.[2] The cameras use infrared photography, allowing them to operate both day and night.
There is a popular misconception that the Home Office has approved the SPECS system for single-lane use only. According to this theory, a motorist can therefore switch lanes between cameras and claim non-approval to avoid prosecution for speeding.[3] However the marketing director of the manufacturer, Speedcheck Services Ltd, has stated that this theory is “categorically untrue”:[4]
“ Until recently, the only HOTA available applied to cars maintaining their lanes. However a new test schedule was carried out last year, which means that average speed checking can be applied even where cars change lanes.

Hmmm. I bet their test schedule consisted of them saying '■■■■, we’re losing money here, let’s prosecute them even if they are in different lanes… :wink:

Truckulent:
I wonder why, with such technology for catching speeders, the CCTV images of criminals, robbers and wrong doers are normally so blurry and poor?

no, motorists are a cash cow! Endex :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

rob22888:

OnlyAlan:
Simple question:

Apparantly there is a tolerance of 10%+2 so technically you are ok being on the limiter in a truck. Loads of trucks power through the m62 roadworks on the limiter at night as well.

Really dont see the point in risking it though. Going 5/6mph slower for a couple of junctions doesnt make any difference to your day.

10% plus two= motorist! :grimacing: :grimacing: professional class one DRIVER = 8% plus one when plod catches you in jaguar JAM butty! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Truckulent:

Maybe a lot of the images ARE poor - Only one in 20 perhaps is clear enough to secure a conviction from the “everyone and his dog” that fly through the roadworks without a second thought…
I often find myself being “shuddered” by a steaming past TNT or Stobby vehicle, so I’m thinking that it’s nearly all supermarkets only doing 50 'cos they’re flat out already!

If drivers were being busted left, right, and centre, then everyone in the locale at least would be showing the area some serious respect. Once a driver from outside the area notices that everyone is IS slowing down, then they are more likely to slow down too…

Has anyone been busted from the average cams now online going up Dartford Bridge yet?