Average price of insurance?

good afternoon,

quick question: Does anyone know average insurance price for a Rigid truck? and for a Truck unit with trailer?
thanks in advance

A.

I’ve split your question from the topic in which you’d posted it because it’s a separate subject which other posters might not have noticed. dd.

For a 8x4 rigid 63 plate I had quotes for fully comp from £1450 to £2200.

I pay £2100 for a vacuum tanker local work only fully comp £120k write off value
It’s cheap because it’s low mileage 40k a year, I agreed to <60k

For a 6x2 tractor unit I pay about £2,800 for UK and Western Europe motor insurance, and about £1,000 for Goods in Transit, Public Liability, breakdown recovery insurance and Insurance Premium Tax, total about £3,800 but because of interest the monthly payments are £414 over 10 months- I’m hoping to be able to pay the premium up front next year as that seems to be an easy £300 to save.

Thanks for that Harry, I suppose my goods in transit is nothing, I haven’t got breakdown recovery Insurance.

? what does the recovery insurance actually cover ?

Muckspreader:
Thanks for that Harry, I suppose my goods in transit is nothing, I haven’t got breakdown recovery Insurance.

I’ve been asked similar by PM but can’t reply to PMs so I’ll cover that here. Not long after I got the truck it threw off an alternator belt, Lantern came out and replaced that (I had to pay for the belt). In November 2012 the clutch release bearing collapsed and I was towed in to the nearest main dealer (although in hindsight I should have asked to be recovered to my own home dealer, which they would have done). There’s a £35 excess to pay and they will come out three times in a year maximum but only twice for the same thing. It’s UK only and £250 a year.

Haven’t used it since then but I’d still rather have the peace of mind of having it. It’s with a company called National Breakdown.

do you have a link to that breakdown co harry, google isnt bringing anything up

chaversdad:
do you have a link to that breakdown co harry, google isnt bringing anything up

nationalbreakdown.com/ although I’ve just had a look and the site is down for maintenance at the moment.

try nbshop, though I have just looked, can’t find hgv breakdown, maybe a call after the hol’s
£250 even for me it would be worth it a tow home would cost more than that.

Hi Harry,

Many thanks for the info regarding the breakdown cover.

Best regards

Tony
JJSL

Harry Monk:

Muckspreader:

I’ve been asked similar by PM but can’t reply to PMs so I’ll cover that here. Not long after I got the truck it threw off an alternator belt, Lantern came out and replaced that (I had to pay for the belt). In November 2012 the clutch release bearing collapsed and I was towed in to the nearest main dealer (although in hindsight I should have asked to be recovered to my own home dealer, which they would have done). There’s a £35 excess to pay and they will come out three times in a year maximum but only twice for the same thing. It’s UK only and £250 a year.

Haven’t used it since then but I’d still rather have the peace of mind of having it. It’s with a company called National Breakdown.

Did they pay for the cost of the clutch Harry? :open_mouth:

Muckspreader:
£250 even for me it would be worth it a tow home would cost more than that.

That’s what I figured, a tow-in on a wrecker in London starts at around £700 I would guess, and if I called Renault out to replace the alternator belt then I guess I’d be looking at a bill of £300. So it’s paid for itself even if I don’t use it again in the next three years.

I thought it was especially important when I was starting out, I bought a four-year old tractor unit with 530,000km on the clock, and that’s a mileage where clutch and alternator problems can happen on Magnums, plus I think it’s better to err on the side of caution when buying any second-hand vehicle, truck or car, and assume that the seller may have fallen behind with preventative maintenance during the final period of his ownership.

Haven’t had to use it this year, touch wood, but I still reckon it’s worth a fiver a week to know that if I break down, I’m not alone with the problem. I couldn’t fault either of the two blokes who came out to help me when I needed it, I gave them both a drink for their help when we were through.

No, they didn’t pay for the cost of the clutch, it’s pretty much the same deal that you would get with the AA or the RAC with a car, if they can fix it by the roadside then they will, otherwise they will recover you to somewhere where you can get the work done at your expense.

thanks for that, i,ll give them a ring when everyones back