Autoroute Alternative?

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for an entirely offline, no need for GPS, net connection etc alternative to MS Autoroute - which I think a lot of drivers here use.

Are there ANY alternatives which are half as good for a driver?

The reason I ask is because I run Linux on my laptop, and no matter what I have tried I can’t get Autoroute to run under it. So I’m looking for an alternative I might be able to bodge together to work on my laptop!

Finally I’d like to apologise to the mods for not posting this in the computer section but we all know nobody looks in there…

Thanks in advance!

Alex

CM were selling TRAVELMANAGER as a reader offer a while back - don’t know much about it though !

Have you thought of partitioning the drive so that say 66% runs Linux and the other 33% runs Windows?

Alternatively look on Hotscripts - theres loads of stuff which might be of use.

You know a linux route manager Hombre?

She asks, running PCLinuxOS 2007 on about every darned machine in sight…

I didnt even know Linux had a route manager to be honest - I was suggesting using a windows alternative.

As for Linux, i used to use it as I dont particularly care for bill Gates’s monopoly - the only problem is (or was) getting good software particularly for web design. For years i have used Dreamweaver and when I first got it there was nothing Linux based to touch it - not sure if there is now, but even if there is its probably damned expensive. And my old Dreamweaver 4 still works fine.

On my laptop I have - The street router Great Britain excellent software, although I do use Tom Tom GPS the laptop is good for finding alternative routes and postcodes… :slight_smile:

Hombre,

As someone coming previously from an IT background I can tell you that Linux is now a dream to anyone doing web design. “Blue Fish” is a real alternative to dreamweaver and what I use for all my PHP/AJAX work. There’s also, just released last week, a Flash IDE released as open source which is great news.

Anyway, I digress!

I’m currently trying to get “Sony Route Planner - Europe 4.0.5” working and I’ll let you know how that goes, if not I’ll try the Route Planner suggested by Denis.

There’s no way you’re ever getting Windows back on my laptop. I’ve no need for it at all!

I’ve only gained functionality since I got rid of it and switched to Xubuntu - I’ve also never seen this old laptop run so quickly!

I’ll keep you posted how I get on!

Alex

Is this any help to you?
gpsdrive.de/index.shtml

Mike-C,

Thanks for that, I came across something similar myself which I’m having a go at hashing into a usable interface:

One of the benefits it seems to have is you can add your own points of interest so adding things like bridge height and width restrictions could be done.

Not getting very far at the moment but I’m tryin’!

Alex

A good uk road atlas and some phillips street maps should do the trick.
They also have the ability to stop your brain freezing up through lack of use,if you’re having to use computerised navigational aids all the time. :wink: :unamused:

Bikemonkey,

I can assure you I’m entirely old school in my methods. In fact I’ve even stopped carrying my TomTom with me and just use the atlas and a few maps.

However there’s nothing wrong with having detailed zoomable maps at the click of a mouse.
I don’t bother carrying detailed street level maps for every single part of the UK, I just carry those I think I’ll need for that trip.
If details change while I’m out and I don’t have a good map for that trip then at least I’ve got it all on my laptop!

Nowt wrong with a little bit of progress occasionally you know!

Alex

Route 66 used to be decent, but I only ever used it in a personal travel capacity (bike, car), never used it as “a driver”.

Got me from Nottingham to Berlin and back via Harwich, northern Denmark, Assen and Hull, with maps I’d printed in advance.