Autoroute 2010 is out soon

It looks like Microsoft Autoroute is releasing a new version on 17th November.
I was going to buy the Mappoint 2010 when the Europe one is released, but I would expect the Autoroute to be a lot cheaper although I am having trouble finding any details on price or what is new

I thought Autoroute had been discontinued?

Autoroute is a hell of a lot cheaper than Mappoint, but where Microsoft are concerned it’s usually because the cheaper version is crippled beyond recognition - look at what they did with vista/win 7. With previous versions, If you do it legally (and not get the student version) Mappoint usually goes around the £200-250 mark, whereas Autoroute is £50-65.

If you’re looking for features, try looking for Streets and Trips - that’s the american version of Autoroute - the features will be about the same. I just had a (very) quick glance at the ms site, I can’t see a date, but it’s had the Mappoint 2009 makeover, so I’m guessing it’s more recent than that.

arronls:

Autoroute is a hell of a lot cheaper than Mappoint, but where Microsoft are concerned it’s usually because the cheaper version is crippled beyond recognition - look at what they did with vista/win 7. With previous versions, If you do it legally (and not get the student version) Mappoint usually goes around the £200-250 mark, whereas Autoroute is £50-65.

If you’re looking for features, try looking for Streets and Trips - that’s the american version of Autoroute - the features will be about the same. I just had a (very) quick glance at the ms site, I can’t see a date, but it’s had the Mappoint 2009 makeover, so I’m guessing it’s more recent than that.

I was left with the impression that the Academic version was legal as long as you are not using it for business, and as it is only for personal use the licence is valid. Also my daughter is in Collage as well :grimacing:

jimti:

arronls:

I was left with the impression that the Academic version was legal as long as you are not using it for business, and as it is only for personal use the licence is valid. Also my daughter is in Collage as well :grimacing:

No, just schools, librarys, museums, students and charities only - Microsoft UK Education. Getting caught, well that’s another matter :wink:

What’s new in AutoRoute 2010

Share recorded trip details or planned trips with your group.
With AutoRoute 2010, you can import and export .gpx data. If you have a GPS navigation device that can record .gpx information, you can easily share your trip route including where you went and where you stopped along the way. You can also share a planned trip by exporting data that others in your group can use on their own GPS navigation device or a website such as Bing Maps.

Customise your route and road preferences.
As always, when you create a route, you can select the roads you prefer to travel, choose major areas to include (or avoid), and define routes based on your desired travel speeds. With AutoRoute 2010, you can modify your route to avoid or include sections by dragging and dropping the route onto the desired roads.

Find restaurants, hotels, fuel stations, and more.
Dozens of points of interest and we keep adding more, including ATMs, post offices, pharmacies, and others.

Make the most of your pushpins.
AutoRoute has expanded and improved pushpins, giving you more control than ever before for how you map data.

More pushpin images to choose from.

Delete a group of pushpins.
Delete a group of pushpins to simplify data on your map. For example, if you imported a list of WalMarts, but you only want to display the ones on the East Coast, you can easily delete the ones that that you don’t want to view.

Hide a group of pushpins.

Save and reuse your custom configuration of the map view.
If you spend time configuring a map so that it displays a particular map style, fonts, or city, you can save those settings so that they are automatically applied to the map the next time you open it.

Pause Windows Media Player during spoken navigation instructions.
Configure AutoRoute to turn off your music while voice instructions are spoken.

© Microsoft and all that nonsense

The A68 Dalkeith bypass is in, as is the A14 at Haughley, the A419 Blunsdon bypass isn’t in, and the M6 to M74 and A1 at Wetherby are still showing as dual carriageways (although Wetherby services IS in) I can’t think of any others off the top of my head, but based on these I think that makes the maps about 12 months old.

Microsoft has skipped a couple of version years of AutoRoute, but it surely is great to see them resurrecting the trip-planning software. The new Microsoft AutoRoute 2010 will include expanded map coverage from the 36 countries in AutoRoute 2007 to 43 countries in the upcoming AutoRoute 2010. There have been several software improvements, especially in the GPS functionality. There will also be a free 60-day trial version offered.

Re: The above comment about AutoRoute being a “crippled” version of MapPoint. MP, in addition to the features offered by AR, contains demographics data that can be used for business analysis. This data adds to the cost of the product, and for most of us on the road this data is unneeded. MP also is programmable (unlike AR). This feature could potentially be useful, as MapPoint accepts plug-ins, which AutoRoute doesn’t.

Ooh bugger, we’ve got MS in here, I haven’t got it yet, honest :laughing:

Marvin Hlavac:
MP also is programmable (unlike AR). This feature could potentially be useful, as MapPoint accepts plug-ins, which AutoRoute doesn’t.

This one’s the main point for me, I’ve put a lot of work into MP. I could probably do without most of it, but not my speed settings - if only they’d put it back to a numerical input instead of the useless sliders. But yeah, for the average user MP is definately overkill.

Review of the new version, screen shots, and trial version download links have just been posted to: Microsoft AutoRoute 2010.

Enjoy!

arronls:

The A68 Dalkeith bypass is in, as is the A14 at Haughley, the A419 Blunsdon bypass isn’t in, and the M6 to M74 and A1 at Wetherby are still showing as dual carriageways (although Wetherby services IS in) I can’t think of any others off the top of my head, but based on these I think that makes the maps about 12 months old.

Just had a quick look at Autoroute 2010 and my local petrol station is still showing but flats have been on the site for a least 2 years!
In France the A19 just north of Orleans to Les Bretons has been open a while but has NOT been enabled in Autoroute 2010.
Transmarck near Calais road to “All4Trucks” is not there either.

Come on Microsoft keep your UPDATES up to date!
I will support you by buying the product but not if its so far out of date.

I don’t see any reason why MS can’t include Autoroute as part of Windows Update and release a Service Pack
to update maps, within new releases containing updates to Autoroute functionality, or is that just too easy. :wink:

Colingl:
I don’t see any reason why MS can’t include Autoroute as part of Windows Update and release a Service Pack
to update maps, within new releases containing updates to Autoroute functionality, or is that just too easy. :wink:

How would Microsoft be able to add to their multi million turnover if they did that!

I really would be willing to pay a REASONABLE amount to update my mapping software yearly but Microsoft force me to buy a new release instead!

That is till I decamp to another routing software…

ossie:

Colingl:

How would Microsoft be able to add to their multi million turnover if they did that!

I really would be willing to pay a REASONABLE amount to update my mapping software yearly but Microsoft force me to buy a new release instead!

That is till I decamp to another routing software…

in fairness to microsoft the complete AR program costs less than the upgrade of maps on tom tom, and I do think it is the better program when driving a truck

Surprise, surprise!!! After skipping two versions of AR, Microsoft now not just release a new version of AutoRoute, they went even one step further (to compensate?), they now started a brand new blog(!) dedicated to nothing else but AutoRoute!

Let’s hope this may be an indication Microsoft will pay at least a bit more attention to the product and its users!

Microsoft AutoRoute Team Blog: msautoroute.spaces.live.com

A few days ago Amazon still showed ETA for AutoRoute 2010 December 11th. This morning I noticed the ETA was changed to December 30th :frowning:. I hope they will not move it again! Here’s a chance to win Microsoft Autoroute 2010 with GPS Locator free (Laptop PC SatNav software/hardware giveaway). But if you do win it, I can’t guarantee ETA…:frowning:

Marvin Hlavac:
A few days ago Amazon still showed ETA for AutoRoute 2010 December 11th. This morning I noticed the ETA was changed to December 30th :frowning:. I hope they will not move it again! Here’s a chance to win Microsoft Autoroute 2010 with GPS Locator free (Laptop PC SatNav software/hardware giveaway). But if you do win it, I can’t guarantee ETA…:frowning:

after downloading the trial version can’t you just buy the licence from microsoft?

Marvin Hlavac:

The full RTM version has been on torrent sites for a month and a half now… :unamused:
It’s as if they want you to pirate it

after downloading the trial version can’t you just buy the licence from microsoft?

Yes, I believe the activation code can be purchased at the Microsoft’s online store (other retailers may sell for less).

AutoRoute 2011

Marvin Hlavac:
A few days ago Amazon still showed ETA for AutoRoute 2010 December 11th. This morning I noticed the ETA was changed to December 30th :frowning:

Amazon’s now showing Jan 7th - methinks someone’s having distribution problems. The maps are going to be stupidly out of date by the time people start getting their hands on it

Just got a hold of this, http://www.mapfactor.com/en/products/mapfactor-navigator-software/pc-navigator-9-truck/ and going to try it out next week alongside my tomtom truck software. looks similar as you can specify length, weight, axle weight etc.

does the new version still have the sliders for vehicle speed saying “slower, average, faster” ■■

imho they ruined it taking away to ability to enter your speed using numbers :imp: :imp: :imp: