Automatic to Manual query

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help with a quick query. I have an automatic Cat C license and want to get this upgraded to a manual. Can I just go for a training refresher and test or would I have to got through the whole process again, i.e Medical, theory test etc…

cheers

simon24:
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help with a quick query. I have an automatic Cat C license and want to get this upgraded to a manual. Can I just go for a training refresher and test or would I have to got through the whole process again, i.e Medical, theory test etc…

cheers

As far as I am aware a Test is all that is required.

As for whether a refresher is enough to convert you over is something you need to discuss with a trainer.

There’s only two ways to remove the 78 (automatic only) restriction from category C.

One way is to pass a manual C test. This will remove any 78 codes on any non-trailer categories.

The other way is to pass a manual CE test - which would give you CE, BE (if you don’t already have it), remove any 78 codes anywhere on your licence, and give you DE if you already have D.

Whichever route you choose, you do not need to retake any theory tests, Driver CPC training or tests, or your medical.

The upgrades work if you subsequently take a bus test, too. If you have manual C, taking an automatic D test gives you manual D entitlement. If you have manual CE, taking an automatic or manual D test gives you manual D and manual DE entitlement.

The cheapest way is likely to be taking a manual C test, but it will probably require some instructor input to get you up to test standard. Depending on how your driving is now, it may not cost you that much more to get you ready for a manual CE test, which would give you a more flexible licence afterwards.

I’d talk to some training companies about assessment drives and likely costs.

How do you get a C licence with automatic on it? I thought the test vehicle for a cat C had to be a manual :open_mouth:

How do you get a C licence with automatic on it? I thought the test vehicle for a cat C had to be a manual

It’s normal to use a manual for test when going through a driving school. But it’s perfectly possible to pass a test on auto, probably through the fire service. Could also be an operator’s vehicle. More and more trucks are auto and there is talk, but it’s only talk so far, that the restriction will eventually be lifted. Naturally, at the moment, anyone passing on an auto will only get auto entitlement until they take some measure to change it (as detailed in previous post).

Give it 10 years and everyone will be testing on auto I think.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Got it in one, I gained it in the Fire Service as they only train on automatics, thanks all for the info, glad I don’t have to retake any theory.

A lot of fire services still use a manual gearbox for test purposes then give you the auto training afterwards. it all depends if the fleet are fully auto or not, some brigades still use manuals for 4x4’s and bowsers etc.

SB