Automatic? tachos

I have just started a new job and i have been told the tacho is an automatic one and i just leave it on the bed and it changes to box and driving itself-is this true? It has 2 mode switches each showing bed,box,and crossed hammers but no steering wheel any help would be most helpfull- thanks.

Hi Jimmy…
You need to only move the switch from bed to crossed Hammers when logging either break or other work… the Tacho will automaticaly record any driving time.

Are you sure about that, Rikki?

AFAIK crossed hammers are never used in UK, only the box and bed on an automatic tacho.

Either Crossed Hammers or Box with a line are used in UK to show other work… it is not an offence in UK to to either …

Doesnt crossed hammers mean available for work, but not actually working :question: i only ever use the box for other work and bed on rest.
Although its not an offence to use the crossed hammers in the UK its not commonly used over here.

The box is driving,
the crossed hammers is other work (loading/unloading/helping round the warehouse etc)
the bed is rest/break

I use them all. It’s an offence to have it on rest if you’re loading/unloading. And some TC (Transport commisioners) come down hard on companies who let their drivers just leave it on rest and do their day’s work that way.

Only the old manual ones had a steering wheel shape for driving…

The Steering wheel,( which isn’t on automatic tacho’s) is driving.

The Box, is other work and driving, because the auto tacho automatically switches to driving mode when you start driving and switches back when you stop.

The Bed, is rest and driving, see above.

The Crossed Hammers, isn’t generally used in the UK, but it isn’t an offence to use it for other work. It used to be used to show off-road driving on the old non-auto tacho’s, but it doesn’t make any difference on an auto tacho.

In short, the automatic tacho will only switch between drive (when driving) and whatever you have the switch set too (rest or other work).
Like Allicat says, it is technically an offence to leave the switch at bed all the time. But that is what most of us do, most of the time.

andymac:
Are you sure about that, Rikki?

AFAIK crossed hammers are never used in UK, only the box and bed on an automatic tacho.

I’m never too sure on this point so I decided to try and look it up.

On the DfT website (replacing GV 262) it states,

OTHER WORK SYMBOL
(Crossed hammers)
OR
(Boxed diagonal)

ON DUTY AND AVAILABILITY FOR WORK
(Boxed diagonal)
(Bed)

I’m not sure whether the last bit is intentional or incomplete. For many weeks after the site was created the symbols were not even displayed, so form your own opinion on that bit. :confused:

In the DAF 85 CF Handbook

DRIVING TIME AND ALL OTHER WORKING PERIODS
(Crossed Hammers)

WAITING TIME
(Boxed diagonal)

DAILY RESTING TIME
(Bed)

In the ERF ECX Handbook

OTHER WORKING TIMES
(Crossed Hammers)

STAND-BY TIMES (WAITING TIMES, CO-DRIVER TIMES, TIMES IN SLEEPING CABIN DURING JOURNEY)
(Boxed diagonal)

BREAK TIMES AND REST PERIODS
(Bed)

So, it seems, it matters not whether you use the Crossed Hammers or Boxed diagonal UNTIL, the WTD comes into force, when there may be a need to differentiate between ‘Waiting Time’ and ‘Other Work’. NOW would be a good time to start adapting the habit of differentiating between the two. :slight_smile:

If you find the current system confusing, wait until Digital Tachos are introduced where you will have 38 pictograms than can be used in up to 46 combinations. :smiley:

Oh my word, Krankee. I have enough trouble remembering to change between box and bed as appropriate. I’ll be in deep trouble when I can forget to change between 38 pictograms. :laughing:

I have’nt even bothered to get one of those Drivers Timer thingymajigs. It would be a waste of money, for me. I’ve got a kitchen countdown timer, which I set at 4.25, to give me 5 mins in reserve. I even forget to start or stop that, as req’, on occaision. :blush: :unamused:

jimmyg:
I have just started a new job and i have been told the tacho is an automatic one and i just leave it on the bed and it changes to box and driving itself-is this true? It has 2 mode switches each showing bed,box,and crossed hammers but no steering wheel any help would be most helpfull- thanks.

No it is not true and in fact using it like this will eventually lead to you getting fined.

Why? because you’re not showing other work. As far as your tachograph is showing, you’re driving then on rest. There is nothing to indicate takeing PODs from/to the Goods In, fuelling up, unloading/loading, opening/closing doors or curtains or coupling up to trailers etc. If you’re stopped at a Ministry checkpoint they’ll see it straight away.

The best way is to leave it on other work (box with diagonal line) and lpace it on rest when you take your 45. Remember its 4.5hrs DRIVING time, not 4.5 work time before you need ot take a 45 minute rest so the fact its showing 5 or 6 hrs before you take a 45 with only 4 of that being driving time isn’t a problem.

People who leave it on bed tend to be those with an insufficient grasp of drivers hours laws.

i have been using the Automatic Tacho now for almost two years,

i switch the tacho onto “box” when driving or unloading, and switch it onto “Bed” when i am at break.

i do not use the "crossed hammers " at any time.

and the depot had a visit from the VOSA last thursday, and they were all cleared as legal.

thanks for all the advice, for the last week i have been using box for driving and loading and bed for rest/breaks and the trace shows driving/loading and rest/breaks instead of driving and lots of little rest gaps, i have also found out that even if you drive for half an hour and then are loading etc, for over 45 mins(or three periods of at least 15 mins) you then start your next four and a half hours if that is true some pile of tachos must be illegal without the drivers being aware

The better you know the Regulations, the more you can benefit from them.

I used to occasionally do a run that involved about three hours driving to an RDC, two hours sitting on the bay, then about 2 1/2 hours driving to another site (which was normally a trailer swap), and then another 2 1/2 hours driving back.

If I showed 45 mins or more break whilst sat on the bay, then I needed to take another 45 before I finished back at the yard.

BUT, if I showed 30 mins break whilst sitting on the bay, and then ‘Other Work’ (i.e. Put away Tom Clancy and start reading T&D - If I want to class reading T&D as ‘Industry Research’ or ‘Professional Updating’, and therefore, Other Work, then that is my prerogative :laughing: )

An hour after leaving the RDC, I would then stop for a meal, 20-25 mins, and the 4 1/2 hours would start again, allowing me to get home without taking another 45 min break. :slight_smile:

With ‘bits of breaks’ here and there, some less than, and some more than, 15 mins, means that you never REALLY know where you stand regarding your CURRENT driving period.

It ain’t Rocket Science, and well worth getting your head around it. :wink:

jimmyg:
i have also found out that even if you drive for half an hour and then are loading etc, for over 45 mins(or three periods of at least 15 mins) you then start your next four and a half hours if that is true some pile of tachos must be illegal without the drivers being aware

That’s not quite true, driving for 30 minutes then spending over 45 minutes unloading wouldn’t start a new 4.5 hours. A new 4.5 only begins when you have had 45 minutes break, in one block or in 2 or 3 periods of not less than 15 minutes Loading/unloading doesn’t count as break, unless of course you aren’t doing it but are sleeping, reading, drinking coffee, watching TV etc, but as other work so a new 4.5 wouldn’t start.

sorry,my fualt that i should have put -loading etc, while your mode swith is set on rest- :blush: