Automatic engine cut-out

One of our trucks, a Volvo FH12 has an automatic engine cut-out which activates if the vehicle is left idling for over about a minute, does anyone know how to disable this?

Afraid that’s a workshop job, one of ours did this. It had to be re-programmed via laptop.

Harry Monk:
One of our trucks, a Volvo FH12 has an automatic engine cut-out which activates if the vehicle is left idling for over about a minute, does anyone know how to disable this?

if you switch cruise control on and press the button on the side once up it will keep idling, you are able to control the idle speed that way aswell, otherwise it’s a setting in the ECU only can be undone by the dealer

What a pain in the arse, you can be waiting at traffic lights for 1 min easy.

Saaamon:

If you are in Switzerland, it saves you turning the key off at traffic lights :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Saaamon:

If you are in Switzerland, it saves you turning the key off at traffic lights :laughing:

Are they not allowed to drive with the engine on?

caledoniandream:

Harry Monk:

if you switch cruise control on and press the button on the side once up it will keep idling, you are able to control the idle speed that way aswell, otherwise it’s a setting in the ECU only can be undone by the dealer

Just what I was about to say. :smiley:

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:

Saaamon:

Are they not allowed to drive with the engine on?

Yes you can drive with the engine on :laughing:

But they do ask you to turn it off whilst standing

i think it only works if the handbrake is on? if you needed to run it for a while or for whatever reason just pop the trailer brake on instead.

In Swiss the law is that if you come to closed rail crossing you must stop -I think- 200m from the barrier with the engine switched off so that cars can get past you. I was in Dublin in the 1700hrs rush hour on a Naes Rd. red light on a right turn in an old Swiss F88. I switched the engine off. Green -turned the key & the whole lock assembly turned on the dashboard pulling all the wires off. The Irish loved me that night. I had to stitch it all back together again to the sound of curses & hooters.

pressing the brake pedal will override this, as for disabling it totally that is a workshop job, On our FLs every time you blip the throttle it gives you another minute. Enough little blips will give you enough time to get through a 45 without freezing to death :smiling_imp: (day cabs)

Harry Monk:

are you sure its 1 min harry,im sure we had that on our old innovate volvos[or it was on one type of truck we had] and it was set to 3 mins,my old erf had it on as well and again im sure it was 3 mins.
its too long ago for me to remember how but im sure you could over ride it,if i see our old shunter about ill ask him,

Our new buses switch off after 5 mins, nightmare in winter trying to warm the bus up.

I was using one last night and this morning, it was set at three minutes before cut off, kept worrying in if it was going to cut out in standing traffic.

As has been said it’s a software setting that can be turned off by you Volvo workshop. They did mine in about 30 seconds. You can over ride it by a quick rev, but this only lasts for the same period.

knock the handbrake off will stop it cutting off, if at traffic lights, use the footbrake

Blip the throttle on mine after it warns of a shutdown and it comes up as overide, it will then tick over indefinitely.

just use the trailer brake

Our DAF CF has this and its rubbish. Talked to the garage about disabling it and they said that its too much effort to do.
Normally you can hear the engine change so i just give it a rev and it resets the timer. Its a stupid thing that should never been invented! I am gonna make sure we dont have another truck with this on!