Automated trucks taking over our jobs

Not in our lifetime… :laughing:

The current mrs Donkey bought one of them ‘robot vacuum cleaner’ contraptions, what moves around the floor all by itself. To be fair, it does a decent enough job, but the real fun starts when you watch it trying to get back to its docking station… Its supposed to automatically find it, and drive onto the charging contacts. :grimacing: :grimacing:
It couldnt find a ginger ■■■■■ in a thai brothel… If that is how far robot technology has gotten, self driving trucks that back onto loading bays are like flying cars and bacofoil suits… :smiley: :laughing:

the nodding donkey:
Not in our lifetime… :laughing:

The current mrs Donkey bought one of them ‘robot vacuum cleaner’ contraptions, what moves around the floor all by itself. To be fair, it does a decent enough job, but the real fun starts when you watch it trying to get back to its docking station… Its supposed to automatically find it, and drive onto the charging contacts. :grimacing: :grimacing:
It couldnt find a ginger ■■■■■ in a thai brothel… If that is how far robot technology has gotten, self driving trucks that back onto loading bays are like flying cars and bacofoil suits… :smiley: :laughing:

Your robot vacuum is ok till this happens
youtu.be/5nzNUzV62_M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out this new Volvo autonomous truck. the first pilot assignment of the all-electric, autonomous Vera hauler, which transports goods from a logistics center to a port terminal in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Chris Urmson helped pioneer self-driving car technology at Google before founding Aurora (which sells self-driving car software to automakers, and this week announced a new partnership with Chrysler and a new round of investment by Hyundai). He is predicting 30-50 years.

They’re OK for doing work like moving containers around docks but if you want proof that it won’t be happening on our roads any time soon there’s a guy who posts lots of videos of the self driving capabilities of his Tesla on UK roads. It’s quite frightening and it appears the more they try to make it handle more and more automation the worse it is actually getting.

Technology is moving at alarming rate and I would bet that there is 16 year old in Korea who knows more technology then the entire membership of trucknet. I think it will come quicker then we think, when most of us were at school we had an abacus now look what they have. Like it or not it’s coming, the amount of money invested in it is probably the only limiting factor.

lancpudn:
Check out this new Volvo autonomous truck. the first pilot assignment of the all-electric, autonomous Vera hauler, which transports goods from a logistics center to a port terminal in Gothenburg, Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=CMREUiQZSIs

I believe that was a prototype and not currently in situ at Gothenburg, or wasn’t last time I went through.

What worries me about autonomous trucks and cars is that they will force them on the road long before they are 100% safe and ready.

Nothing about computers is 100% guaranteed so why they think self driving cars will ever be a good (and more importantly, workable and safe) concept is beyond me

I’m glad I’ll be retired by the time all this stuff comes in. It’s a problem though, when robots do all the jobs that humans do now. I don’t think capitalism can provide the solution to it, communism doesn’t work either, I think they’re going to have to think of some new system, I’ve no idea what though

“They” have been saying that self driving vehicles are just around the corner for the last hundred years. I think that it could work in a controlled environment like the railway, good luck with the unions though. Out on the road there are just too many variables and random things to deal with.

‘‘They’’ have cushy lucrative jobs, and no one involved in this new ‘industry’ is daft enough to say the emporer has no bleedin kecks on, effectively cutting off the seemingly bottomless pot of money being thrown at this grand experiment.

Global warming, climate change, environmental catastrophe, whatever they want to call it this week is of a similar bent, thousands of people in nice cushy little jobs, all reading from the same hymnsheet, desperate the grants and govt (our) money being thrown at the cobblers doesn’t suddenly dry up, hence the wheeze is constantly morphing and being made ever more fantastic and ever more urgent for more money.
The latest wheeze of wheeling out some child with superpowers of being able to see CO2 is a sinister disturbing trend, though not as disturbing as seeing people of the type plying for the job of Prime Minister falling over each other to fawn over the wretch, creepy or what.

The autonomous vehicle promotion career farce is in its infancy compared to the global catastrophe wheeze, and like the latter they’ll be milking it for decades to come, with a breakthrough being permanently just around the corner, whilst global destruction gets a renewed end of days warning when each previous deadline for the world’s end passes unnoticed :unamused:

Who can blame those involved, if the easily duped controlling vast funds of other peoples money are so easily relieved of it, then why not tease a few more decades of ‘nice work if you can get it’ out of them, beats the hell out of a proper days work any day.

Odd days:
Technology is moving at alarming rate and I would bet that there is 16 year old in Korea who knows more technology then the entire membership of trucknet. I think it will come quicker then we think, when most of us were at school we had an abacus now look what they have. Like it or not it’s coming, the amount of money invested in it is probably the only limiting factor.

Hey!! I had a slide rule.

The-Snowman:
What worries me about autonomous trucks and cars is that they will force them on the road long before they are 100% safe and ready.

Nothing about computers is 100% guaranteed so why they think self driving cars will ever be a good (and more importantly, workable and safe) concept is beyond me

So human drivers are 100% guaranteed, are they?

Reckitts Benkiser or Reckitt & Colman if you are my age have had self driving trucks bobbing around the site for over 40 years. They have been relatively trouble free. I think one was prosecuted by the CSA for an indiscretion with a woman from Bransholme. The rest just get on with the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lancpudn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=CMREUiQZSIs

Yes, a tightly controled environment, no other vehicle or pedestrian traffic to interact with, and only moving in a forward direction. That technology is decades old.
Emtying or loading a container ship will take a lot more than one autonomous hauler on an empty quayside.
And there was no reverse manouvre involved. Ill start worrying about my job when autinomous trucks can reverse onto bays in a busy environment. And open the rear doors…

Oh, and if you where in any doubt wether the Volvo video was a tightly controlled make believe advertisment, notice the gentleman’s lack of ppe…

:grimacing:

Santa:

The-Snowman:

Twisted logic though it might be, I think people are far more willing to accept human fallibility than those of automated machines, so really automation probably has to be as near as 100% as feasibly possible to for most to accept it on the roads with them.

Personally I think automated vehicles travelling at a reasonable speed will need a separate infrastructure to keep them away from far more unpredictable humans, once into urban areas or at least any area they come into contact with us and non-automated machines, they’ll have to travel at extremely low speeds.

Love science fiction, not many examples of auto trucks though and the ones that are, are generally negative.

youtu.be/KPfz6hiogsQ

Sploom:
I’m glad I’ll be retired by the time all this stuff comes in. It’s a problem though, when robots do all the jobs that humans do now. I don’t think capitalism can provide the solution to it

The same has been said multiple times throughout our history. First it was when spinning machines and machines to produce cloth came into being and cotton mills became a thing, it was said when the motor vehicle superceded the horse and cart, it was said again when the computer came into being that there would be the paperless office and the death of many office jobs. In all cases what happened is that jobs changed, new jobs that people weren’t even aware of were created in new support industries and people went to work in those instead.

The people who will truly get the shaft are those who want to be stuck in the past and are unwilling to change like the countless examples on this forum from those who want to go back to how it was in the 70s and 80s.

Santa:

The-Snowman:

Didnt say that.
But if you think its less likely that a computer controlled car wont, for example, see a red light and stop rather than plough into crossing traffic or pedestrians then youve a lot more faith in computers and their abilities than I have.
Theres not a car on the road whos electrics operate perfectly. At least with a person theres a better chance it can be rectified before it kills someone. If theres a fault with a computer it wont register the danger and just keep going till the worst happens.

Example. If I see a kid standing at the side of the road Im thinking “that kid might run into the road” so im covering the brake. A computer cant think like that. If the kid darts out in front of the car then the car isnt anticipating it because it cant.

there are countless, everyday scenarios where pre planned thinking needs to applied. Just because people arent 100% guarenteed doesn’t mean we should let computers take over instead

Conor:

Sploom:
I’m glad I’ll be retired by the time all this stuff comes in. It’s a problem though, when robots do all the jobs that humans do now. I don’t think capitalism can provide the solution to it

The same has been said multiple times throughout our history. First it was when spinning machines and machines to produce cloth came into being and cotton mills became a thing, it was said when the motor vehicle superceded the horse and cart, it was said again when the computer came into being that there would be the paperless office and the death of many office jobs. In all cases what happened is that jobs changed, new jobs that people weren’t even aware of were created in new support industries and people went to work in those instead.

The people who will truly get the shaft are those who want to be stuck in the past and are unwilling to change like the countless examples on this forum from those who want to go back to how it was in the 70s and 80s.

Further than that:
Capitalism is not the only way. It hasn’t been around so long really, and may be past it’s best already.
The rich capitalists, who own the media, may hold on tightly, but it could be time for new way of doing things.
Automation and the global climate change issues, all point to us ending our present mode. Either through choice quite soon, or in a horrible wreck a wee bit further on.