Autocarriers or Hanbury Davies

Has anyone got any experience or info on these 2 companies?.

Money and hours, vehicles etc etc.

Following the demise of B and Q at Grantham i need to start looking for another job although i have a year i want to start looking asap.

Also does anyone know of anyone that uses “satellite” drivers.

And can anyone fill me in on the agency that employs for some of the companies at Drift i,m looking for 4 on 4 off with accomodation for the 3 nights/days i would be there if i can get a job with them.

Thanks Jammy.

If you can get on with Hanbury’s on the **non-**container side, you’ll be laughing money wise if it’s anything like the Jacuzzi contract.

Never heard of the other place.

If you go onto HD’s website, there’s a bell no. and email for the recruitment bloke. I’ve spoke to him a few times in the past.

Cheers Rob i e-mailed them today re: their Doncaster branch whats the contract up there do you know?.

The jacuzzi contract is out of donnie I think,heard money’s great if you can get on it,they also do containers for cp ships and hcd,all over the country and out all week though as far as I know.
And Rob,I was earning good money for them on containers,I have no idea where this “they pay crap money” idea comes from.From my bit of experience with them they’re a good firm to work for :wink:

jammymutt:
Cheers Rob i e-mailed them today re: their Doncaster branch whats the contract up there do you know?.

Boxes out of Donny. Avoid.

bikemonkey:
The jacuzzi contract is out of donnie I think,heard money’s great if you can get on it,

No. Jacuzzi contract is based at Jacuzzi’s factory in Bradford on Euroway Ind Est, half way up the M606. The units are parked up at the side of the CIBA plant aka Alloid Colloids. Money is excellent if you can get on it but it’s dead mans shoes…

they also do containers for cp ships and hcd,all over the country and out all week though as far as I know.
And Rob,I was earning good money for them on containers,I have no idea where this “they pay crap money” idea comes from.From my bit of experience with them they’re a good firm to work for :wink:

Boxes are out of Donny. Didn’t you once tell me the money when you were on for them out of So’ton? From what I recall you weren’t clearing £400 including your overnights over a 60hr odd week and that, to me, isn’t good money and I think Alex would agree. I guess we’ve all got different interpretations, eh.

:bulb:

Rob K:

bikemonkey:
The jacuzzi contract is out of donnie I think,heard money’s great if you can get on it,

No. Jacuzzi contract is based at Jacuzzi’s factory in Bradford on Euroway Ind Est, half way up the M606. The units are parked up at the side of the CIBA plant aka Alloid Colloids. Money is excellent if you can get on it but it’s dead mans shoes…

they also do containers for cp ships and hcd,all over the country and out all week though as far as I know.

Boxes are out of Donny. Didn’t you once tell me the money when you were on for them out of So’ton? From what I recall you weren’t clearing £400 including your overnights over a 60hr odd week and that, to me, isn’t good money and I think Alex would agree. I guess we’ve all got different interpretations, eh.

:bulb:

sorry thought it was Bradford or Doncaster,but hedged me bets and put Doncaster.
I was taking £410 with 4 nights,did’nt think that was bad money considering what some of the other truckers are on,Everybody moans about long hours and low pay.
its good when its quiet though cause the hourly paid bods are earning ■■■■,and I was taking home the same money .also your holidays are averaged over the quarter so you can take home pretty much the same when your on holiday and ALSO you get enhancements for attendance and keeping to fuel targets.

i don’t know if you’d be bothered but truswells may be looking for drivers in the next few months, running steel out of rotherham corus, don’t know what the monies like as they pay trip money i.e x amount of hours for a particular drop which can be done in far less with a good run but what the hourly rate is, i don’t know. basically it’s start when you wan’t job n finnish each day, not everyones cup of tea but the lads on it now seem to think it’s all right.
contact details on their website.

For what it’s worth, I thought about doing boxes out of Donny for Hanburys after I spat my dummy out with TEPS. From what I was able to find out at the time, the money is there but not on day work…

Basically the way to make it pay (and the attraction for me at the time) was to run out of as far away as possible. My daughter was living in Dorset at the time and I could have left Donny on a Sunday night, run out of Southampton/Felixstowe all week (with all my old mates), got weekended down there every other weekend (to see my girlie - normally you’d only be out for a week at a time) and then returned to Donny a fortnight later. You can do the same thing with Tilbury, Grain, etc. They were IIRC offering a premium for working under another Traffic Office.
I abandoned the whole scheme after Rikki pointed out that, with the Sunday run out and the travelling time from Teesside to Donny, I would only actually pass through the house for one day a fortnight…and since that was precisely why I had left TEPS it made a bit of a mockery of the previous fortnight’s argument, even if it did get me a hefty payrise.
I was forced to concede he had a point. :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The other thing with Hanburys is that they are one of these firms who have taken over a lot of smaller outfits in order to expand, so just because someone earns one amount in, say, Southampton, doesn’t guarantee that the guy from Felixstowe in the next wagon makes the same.
From what I can gather, the various pay schemes are based on however the original drivers were paid when they were taken over…so some are on salary and profit share, some are on days and tip money, some are on hours, some are on…you get the picture. :unamused:
If anyone here does consider them, make sure you check the specific pay details before taking the plunge. :wink:

Jammy,

Whats wrong with going to the B&Q at worksop■■? thought you lads would be in pole position for jobs there. Or, one of our lads has gone to Widdowsons at Leicester. Good money by all acounts. Pity you dont like fridges cos apparently we are taking on a few more on our holiday relief team at Bilsthorpe.

Hope you get sorted mate

Martin

We asked about Worksop and looked at like a rabbit caught in the headlights, they havent got a clue whats happening .

i have beewn in touch with them personally and Worksop say they will be taking on in January next year thats all we know.

I would work at Hanleys tomorrow if they parked me up empty at night i worked for them when i passed my test years ago and they were ok then.

You might want to consider doin nights at our place. They are second to our team in terms af pay. If I remember its around the 24k mark.

As for Worksop, iv heard the same. Headless chicken springs to mind.

Hope ya get sorted mate

Martin

Martin what kind of hours are they doing on nights?, i might be interested if the hours and the money are right.

Well its salary. You may get short nights one week and long ones the next. After the Innov@te takeover they are doing a bit of re-structuring. Im back covering nights this week so should know a little more. They do seem to share the work out amongst the dedicated night men.

Martin

Hi jammy, what do you mean by the demise of B&Q at grantham ? Have I missed something here ? As you know I moved to worksop in june and Have only just started reading the posts on this site again because we had no broadband for about 6 weeks :imp: I hate my job at the moment and am just sitting on the fence at the moment waiting to see what happens with the B&Q at worksop ! Dont know wether or not I will be able to wait until january though.

B and Q have gave us a year to shut Grantham buut as we all know when these big companies say these things it could be a month it could be 3 it could maybe be longer.

Tidy basically Grantham is moving to Worksop and they wont be taking on until January at the earliest.

HI Alex
Thanks for your email.

We do not expect to be recruiting drivers until 2006. Can I suggest you contact me again in the new year to discuss the progress.

Thanks
Diane Hickey
B&Q HR Manager

This is a copy of an e-mail i got from them i can give you her e-mail address but can u p.m. me for it as i dont really want to put it on here.

Cheers for that jammy, thats cleared things up a bit. sorry to hear the bad news about your job.

I gave Hanbury Davies (Southampton) a try a few years ago, I absolutely hated it. The TM was ex-army (thought he was still in the army), the truck was zb, never again!

That was my first and last brush with containers so to be fair 50% of the problem was my aversion to containers, however I found HD patronising and full of petty rules & regulations more suited to a nursery.

If you need someone to think for you, then HD will nurse you along :laughing: