Autobox question

The other evening while driving(scania p360) on the motorway at 53mph i went to turn on the lights but caught the gear selector and knocked it into neutral. Was going to immediately put it back into drive while on the go but something told me this wasnt a good idea at over 50mph. So i pulled over into hard shoulder and came to a stop, put it back in drive and started again. Would the autobox have been ruined if i had put it back in drive while on the go? And would the box have selected the right gear and revs to match the speed? Thanks for replies

The good thing about autoboxes is that they won’t let you do anything that is bad for them. I don’t see why it would be a problem putting it back into gear while you were moving, otherwise how would we be able to change gears while moving.

It might not go back into gear anyway until the motor has been brought to a stop.

I used to do the pull over and stop thing, then I realised it will go back into drive with no problems. :sunglasses:

As said they go straight back in to the right gear etc no problem.

Put it straight back into drive …no dramas [emoji2]

I did it on a 58 plate Scania (three pedal auto), put it back into drive and all sorts of gearbox warnings came on. Pulled to the hard shoulder, keys out for a minute, then carried on like nothing had happened. I suppose newer versions are a bit more tolerant.

They slip into neutral when on cruise control and then back into drive with no probs.

you can’t go from Daytime to Race mode without stopping.

I quite often do this in a volvo, not a problem.

The only issue I occasionally have with mine is if you don’t fully depress the clutch at say a roundabout it doesn’t put it into gear and when you go to pull off you can start rolling backwards. I do check to make sure it’s in A2 etc and not AN, but the fôoking thing does catch you out now and again. Same when you change from D to R, sometimes don’t depress the clutch enough and crunch the gears, usually when there’s other drivers from our yard in earshot. :confused:

:laughing: I did something simlar the other day, R480 on the limiter approaching a steepish hill so went to put it into hill-climb mode (DH) but had a brainfart and twisted it the wrong way to neutral. After a second of wondering why it was slowing down, clutch in and twisted it back the other way, truck auto-selected 11th gear, so as others say, it knows what speed the truck and/or engine is doing and won’t do something silly like selecting 3rd :open_mouth:

Newbie7064:
The other evening while driving(scania p360) on the motorway at 53mph i went to turn on the lights but caught the gear selector and knocked it into neutral. Was going to immediately put it back into drive while on the go but something told me this wasnt a good idea at over 50mph. So i pulled over into hard shoulder and came to a stop, put it back in drive and started again. Would the autobox have been ruined if i had put it back in drive while on the go? And would the box have selected the right gear and revs to match the speed? Thanks for replies

Had that once and put them back into Gear with no Problem,
but,dont shift the Renault by mistake into Reverse (R doesn’t mean Ralley)