Auto to Manual

So i passed my test last thursday. (mod 3) im around a month away before i can start working now as i still need to do mod 4 and then wait for licence and dqc to come back…

having done my training and test in an automatic rigid hgv im a bit concerned about moving to gears.
is the transition difficult ■■

i realise my licence will permit me to drive class 2 manuals aswell as autos but is it recommended i do further training first?

I would never have chosen to learn in a auto ,however as this course was funded for me ,i had no choice.

opinions please.

This is not a dig at you at all so don’t take it personally… If you pass your car test in a auto you can’t drive a manual, yet you can with a wagon…

It’s baffles me!!

BUT piece of cake really… Check out the section on the newbie forum, shows you the basics of different boxes… And depending on what you drive it will probably only be a 6 speed anyway.

Whatever you drive after passing test is likely to have a different gearbox and the way we all do it is to ASK another driver how it works

Until around 10 years ago, there was no requirement to use anything more than a “straight” gearbox for training - so 99% of training took place on a straight box. Those drivers went on to drive all sorts of everything - with no statistical evidence of problems. eg no-one ever taught me to use a splitter, range change or anything else interesting. You either figure it out (it really isn’t hard with the aid of Google) or, as ROG said, ask another driver.

If you really want to, go and have training. But it’s virtually unheard of.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

yt03:
This is not a dig at you at all so don’t take it personally… If you pass your car test in a auto you can’t drive a manual, yet you can with a wagon…

It’s baffles me!!

The premise behind the current rules is that once you have passed a car, van, LGV or PCV test on a manual transmission vehicle, you have demonstrated your competence to drive manual transmission.

As Peter says, the majority of lorry training and tests was on straight six boxes or similar until the rules were changed to require at least eight forward speeds around ten years ago. From this point, range change or slapover became the norm.

The majority of PCVs have been automatic for years. With the rise of modern computer controlled automated manual boxes, the majority of new LGVs are now automatic. Whilst manual LGVs still have advantages for certain types of work, automatic is likely to become the norm in the future.

I don’t think you’ll have problems if you understand the basics that you put your foot on the clutch and move the stick thing then you’re halfway there, then it’s just understanding the layout of the box.
All this complaints about not training in a manual not getting a driver ready and it was better in my day when you used to have to train in a manual is ■■■■■■■■.

I trained in a ford cargo with a straight 6 box, pulling an empty 30ft flat bed trailer and for reversing I could see through the window in the back of the cab, it was a world away from the trucks I then drove on my first couple of years.

Volvo’s F cabs, 16 speed box 4 gears, range change and splitter giving 16 gears, towing a 45ft fully loaded tilt trailer. God my reversing was crap as I couldn’t see out the back window. :laughing:

Foden with the infamous Eaton twin spliter 4 gears and 3 split positions for each gear giving 12 gears, oh and a constant mesh box to play tunes on. :laughing: pulling spud bulkers, a top heavy trailer when loaded.

Renaults 4 gears, range change, but unlike the Volvo switch, this one you push the gear lever across to change range, Called a slap over, and then a splitter, but not a switch but a rotating collar on the gear lever. Needed every one of those 16 gears to use the awesome 290bhp pulling 38tonnes. :smiley:

Iveco Turbostar, 4 gears, range change and splitter, but only in high range, which is bloody confusing when you first drive it and forget and can’t get it back into low range. :confused:

Volvo FH, 3 gears, range change and splitter, not to difficult when you remember you haven’t got that 4th position. :smiley:

However you then get a Scania, 3 gears, range change and splitter, so the same as the Volvo you say. No! :confused: the third gear position is opposite to the Volvo, so if you’ve got out of a Volvo you spend the first few miles pulling the lever the wrong way. :unamused:

Except they had a stick and clutch they bore no relationship to the straight 6 I learned on, but I, like many other, managed to master-ish all those. When I got a different truck I asked somebody or read the manual, (no Internet :open_mouth: in them days)

I passed in an auto (artic) and ended up driving a 3 over 3 splitter with hi lo range. Took about 2 hours to master and ended up loving it. Then went back onto auto. Auto is by far more relaxing :slight_smile: imho

I took my tests in manual slapover trucks, but have been driving automatics ever since.

I can understand your trepidation with manuals, but I think there is a range of difficulty depending on what you end up driving and you’re unlikely to encounter anything too severe in the UK or Europe. I suspect that one of the more extreme challenges will be an 18 speed ‘crash’ gearbox requiring double declutching, range change and half gear splitter. However, an 8 speed slapover or 4 over 4 range change is unlikely to cause too many difficulties once you figure it out.

I saw some advice elsewhere on these forums to find a gear adequate to get you out of the yard and down the road, then when you’re out of earshot you can have a play. However, as has been said the first thing is to ask - why would anyone be annoyed or upset if you did? Most drivers will be more than happy to share their knowledge and experience, and it will make them feel good helping others.