AUTO OR MANUAL

Who has changed their minds over the past few years about automatic gearboxes?

I was always a fan of manual boxeds but have to say that recently if I get a choice I opt for the automatic. Yes there are some better than others but in general I must be getting lazy in towns in particular .

I like auto especially I shift before you say ain’t a proper driver I’ve driven fullers twin splits etc and they are good but especially in stop start auto is great

McPlod:
Who has changed their minds over the past few years about automatic gearboxes?

I was always a fan of manual boxeds but have to say that recently if I get a choice I opt for the automatic. Yes there are some better than others but in general I must be getting lazy in towns in particular .

no, i much prefer our manuals than our autos,much nicer to drive.

kr79:
I like auto especially I shift before you say ain’t a proper driver I’ve driven fullers twin splits etc and they are good but especially in stop start auto is great

Quite agree, the old boxes were good but volvo i shift takes some beating now.

Ive been driving a auto for 2 year it has turned me into a right lazy bassa, i was given a 4 over 4 last week from the hire company and i huffing and puffing :laughing:

If I had a choice I’d never drive a manual truck ever again!

Auto for me - I used to prefer manual, but the Mercs we have can all be used as a manual without a clutch. Don’t need my left leg anymore except for climbing out of the cab to collect my wages :laughing: That said, I rarely leave it in auto - my forward vision is better than a truck any day :wink:

kr79:

switchlogic:
If I had a choice I’d never drive a manual truck ever again!

These two comments sum it up for me and yes, I’ve driven Eaton gearboxes and twin splitters as well. They were OK in their day, but these days, a Volvo I-shift just makes life so much easier!

autos at roundabouts and busy junctions :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

has anyone ever had an accident because they were in an auto box where as with a manual box it wouldnt of happended (car slamming into the side of you at a roundabout)

yes you can put it in manual but when see a space and quickly pull away and you forget to change up or switch back to auto you make lots of noise but dont get very far :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Cruise Control:
autos at roundabouts and busy junctions :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

has anyone ever had an accident because they were in an auto box where as with a manual box it wouldnt of happended (car slamming into the side of you at a roundabout)

yes you can put it in manual but when see a space and quickly pull away and you forget to change up or switch back to auto you make lots of noise but dont get very far :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush:

I imagine people have had accidents because they’ve ballsed up the gears in a manual as well. And I think your accident with a car slamming into side of you may have been more to do with an idiot car driver than an idiot auto!

Drove a Scania manual back from Swindon today, hopefully it will be the last time I drive a manual and a Scania. Give me an auto everytime.

Depends on the Auto, I-shift is excellent.

Now got a DAF(t) Auto and that ■■■■■ arse.

Liked the Scumia auto with a clutch, best of both worlds, but the I-shift even beat that.

So, for me, it’d be I-shift, Merc Semi preselect with a clutch, Scumia Auto with clutch (old opti-cruise?), a decent manual (not a knocker box) then the rest of the auto’s before a ■■■■■■ manual.

I hated all autos til I tried a Volvo I-shift, think it helps that the selector is in the position where the manual stick would be, whereas on the scania it’s on the column, not too keen on that. Still wasn’t as good as pulling away in a manual but climbing hills wasn’t so bad along as I put it into manual select, certainly didn’t miss dipping the clutch in town traffic.

Think ive been converted to a degree, but it mainly depends what your doing, if your job involves some off tarmac driving then manual is a must.
Been on our artic for a month in auto, got back in my regular manual truck today at least three corners I got to the apex before I realised im ment to change gear it wont do it itself! Mind you im often looking for the invisable stick in the auto when I have a rare trip in it!

Auto Everytime these days. Been on farm collections 2 years so I’ve worked out how to drive them
on mud and wet cow ■■■■. Had a 3/3 Scania a few weeks back, bloody thing was hard work :laughing:

i’ll drive a manual on the farm work every time the zf 4 over 4 is great but the volvo i-shift is the best auto box just my boss wont buy volvo so it’ll be the daf manual till i leave :laughing: :laughing: .

waynedl:
Now got a DAF(t) Auto and that ■■■■■ arse.

The drivers of our 2 Cf 6wheelers have said they’re ok on the open road, but getting out on roundabouts is a pain, and reversing on tips, uneven ground and buffering the tyres upto feed hoppers is a pain in the arse (sort’ve Kangeroo effect in reverse).

Always used to prefer a manual box until I discovered I-shift. Currently driving a brand new Renault Premium and whatever the box is, it’s more than a match for the I-shift! Never thought I’d hear myself say that about a Premium!

Auto for me, one less thing to worry about.

Manual every time. Proper gearbox for proper drivers. Autos are for steering wheel attendants that have no interest in the job.