Auto gearbox type = truck satisfaction...?

Now that (broadly speaking) all new lorries are quiet, comfortable, fitted with automated transmissions and have plenty of power for the task in hand, has anyone else noticed that when opinions are given about particular makes, models etc., the good or bad comments about them tend to centre around (perceived?) quality of the gearbox…?

I’ve been in and around lorries since I was a nipper and passed my class 1 in 1992 as a 21 year old, so my basic criteria for any lorry I have driven since have been;

Does the heater work?
Does the radio work?
Is it legal?
Will it get me back to the yard at the end of the shift, without the assistance of a wrecker?

Beyond that, I’ve never been too fussed about what I’ve been given the keys to, although like everyone, I have preferences.
For me now, the overall driving experience of a lorry seems to be indelibly linked to how I find the gearbox behaves. Reading through many comments on TN, elsewhere and when speaking to other folk, the first thing they will say if they don’t like the vehicle is usually “the @*&$ing gearbox”… anyone else found this?

If the gearbox is crap then I’m going to have a bad day.

Engine first, gearbox second…not bothered about too much else to be honest.

Can’t stand modern little engines blown to buggery but having no guts to speak of, coupled with a useless gearbox of biblical awfulness…and i’m thinking primarily of ZF’s arsetronic here as THE shining example…makes the vehicle a frustration to be anywhere near, couldn’t possibly describe attending the wheel of such a dire offering as driving a lorry.

Am i annoyed enough about this to pack a good job in for the sake of a proper lorry?, well no, because proper new lorries don’t exist any more in the UK (except possibly for Hino), so i’ll carry on attending the wheel of a vehicle designed for parcel delivery on max weight work :unamused: and just look forward to going home every night, there is no pleasure and little pride being at the wheel of such modern lorries and i don’t see time ever being rolled back, more’s the pity.

My ideal lorry for my work, a smallish day cab with the biggest engine (cc that is, not the bhp badge) that can be stuffed under the bonnet and a constant mesh or twin splitter type box, pipe dream, those days are history.

My 51 reg motor with manual gearbox (and analogue tacho) suits me just fine.
I hope the mechanic can keep it going another 4 1/2 years :wink:

It was Make & model for me, everything fell into place after that. Had to have a bed behind, capable of doing 54mph+, working heater & A/C!

GCR2ERF:
I’ve been in and around lorries since I was a nipper and passed my class 1 in 1992 as a 21 year old, so my basic criteria for any lorry I have driven since have been;

Does the heater work?
Does the radio work?
Is it legal?
Will it get me back to the yard at the end of the shift, without the assistance of a wrecker?

Beyond that, I’ve never been too fussed about what I’ve been given the keys to, although like everyone, I have preferences.
For me now, the overall driving experience of a lorry seems to be indelibly linked to how I find the gearbox behaves. Reading through many comments on TN, elsewhere and when speaking to other folk, the first thing they will say if they don’t like the vehicle is usually “the @*&$ing gearbox”… anyone else found this?

Are you me?

GCR2ERF:
Now that (broadly speaking) all new lorries are quiet, comfortable, fitted with automated transmissions and have plenty of power for the task in hand, has anyone else noticed that when opinions are given about particular makes, models etc., the good or bad comments about them tend to centre around (perceived?) quality of the gearbox…?

Does the heater work?
Does the radio work?
Is it legal?

too fussy our kid :grimacing: mines if the wheels go round, I get paid! :laughing: AKA if the wheels are turning, I’m ■■■■■■ earning! :sunglasses:

I will have a check and get back to you/me :smiley: