Auto Box or Manual?

DAFMAD:
No wonder proper drivers are rare these days, when they reckon an Auto can do the job better than they can with a good later manual box. :unamused: It probably can if theyā€™re that bad. :unamused: Now we all have to suffer. :angry:

I agree, itā€™s only those who donā€™t know how to drive properly that seem to think an auto is better.

herbertanchovy:

DAFMAD:
No wonder proper drivers are rare these days, when they reckon an Auto can do the job better than they can with a good later manual box. :unamused: It probably can if theyā€™re that bad. :unamused: Now we all have to suffer. :angry:

I agree, itā€™s only those who donā€™t know how to drive properly that seem to think an auto is better.

That is a very sweeping statement!!!

I canā€™t comment very much on truck auto boxes (little experience) but there are plenty of car drivers who do not know how to use the auto box options to the best advantage - they just stick it in D and thats it :exclamation:

:confused: Iā€™m confused here! I thought autoboxes use more fuel than manuals, because they sap more engine power.
I used to drive buses that were all autos. that makes sense though because obviously a bus is constantly stopping & starting, so a manual box would be a pain in the A for the driver & youā€™d probably get through a fair few clutches.

I know bin wagons are autos again makes sense for the same reason as buses.
But for Wagons that spend most of their time plodding up & down an Mway ā– ā– 

A few years ago I heard Argos were using 7.5t DAF autos on trial but binned 'em because of the extra fuel they were using.

So can someone explain why autos are suddenly supposed to give better MPG than a Manual ?

herbertanchovy:

DAFMAD:

If you have to drive an artic in Central London all day with stop start traffic and have been lumbered with a crap unit with a bench press clutch you would be begging for an auto. Why do you think shifting a stick and using a clutch makes you a better driver? Been there and done that, why make life hard when you can have it easy. You can still put it in manual you just donā€™t have to do all the physical work, blip the stalk and away you go. :wink:

The term automatic gearbox is confusing.

An automatic may be fitted with a torque convertor aka fluid flywheel or as the modern trucks are using conventional gearboxes with electronics.

A Volvo I Shift is still a manual gearbox with electronically controlled selectors and clutch mechanism, this combined with cruise control and a retarder it can improve the way a truck is driven. Apart from fuel saving, it is kinder to brake friction materials and drivelines.

Gearboxes have developed over the years as the power output increases. The 9 speed Fuller became the Eaton twin splitter which made the drivers job much easier. The ZF Ecosplit became the AS Tronic.

Modern automated gearboxes are very fuel efficient compared to the 4 speed automatic gearboxes fitted in your grandads P6 Rover or Zodiac.

The 2 pictures above show the similarities of the ZF gearbox and that it is only the selection method that is different. Both gearboxes use a conventional clutch plate.

Autosā€¦ very nice for in city drivingā€¦ but I do feel sooooo bored while on longer hauls. I have nowt to do with my right hand except light ā– ā– ā– ā–  and make coffeeā€¦ I can just put on the cruise, and the downhill auto-retarder, and have nothing to do except turn it off when itā€™s time to parkā€¦
Anyone got a cheap copy of Battlestar Galactica?? :laughing:

On second thoughtsā€¦ give me a real gearbox!!! PLEASE!!!

allikat:
Autosā€¦ very nice for in city drivingā€¦ but I do feel sooooo bored while on longer hauls. I have nowt to do with my right hand except light ā– ā– ā– ā–  and make coffeeā€¦ I can just put on the cruise, and the downhill auto-retarder, and have nothing to do except turn it off when itā€™s time to parkā€¦
Anyone got a cheap copy of Battlestar Galactica?? :laughing:

On second thoughtsā€¦ give me a real gearbox!!! PLEASE!!!

You can always eat a Maccy Dā€™s while speaking on the phone, steer it with your knees and still get to where you are going. Bordom over :smiley:

ROG:
What was that crash box that was fitted to some of the Leylands called :question:

Was it an ā€˜Albionā€™ :question:

They were ā€˜funā€™ to drive - Take out of gear and put into neutral - now go home, have dinner, shower, snog the Mrs :wink: and then re-dip the clutch and put into next gear - and that was going UP the box :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had no problems with Albion gearboxes,spent years on the 6speed O/D,only used clutch to stop and start,those were the days. :confused: :confused: cheers Joe.

DAFMAD:
Ya bunch of sissies. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: says he who only wants to drive Daf and FH

sweetleaf:

DAFMAD:
Ya bunch of sissies. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: says he who only wants to drive Daf and FH

Only real trucks for me. :laughing:

I like my auto,it makeā€™s the job aesier and if i want i can put it in manual i do :smiley: . I donā€™t miss the laboursome Volvo manual i had :frowning: .

Manuel for me all the time. I like to know were i am up to with the gears and it makes you concentrate more

Manuel for me every time. Heā€™s the best Spanish waiter Iā€™ve ever seen. Not sure Jonathon Ross would agree though. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

herbertanchovy:

Mike-C:

herbertanchovy:
I prefer a manual box every time.

Honestly, the autos are best. Its only know all drivers who think they can select a more appropriate gear for the conditions that prefer manuals, the reality is borne out by the fact owners are choosing autos.

herbertanchovy:
Scaniaā€™s opticruise is a piece of (beat you to it moderator)

And second guessing being censored can also leave you wrong footed too !!!
Crap works just fine here !!! :smiley:

firstly, I can achieve 12.2 mpg with a manual scania. on the same route at the same weight, an automatic is around 9.5. nothing to do with being a ā€œknow allā€, itā€™s pure and simple experience.in fact the phrase ā€œknow allā€ tends to be utilised by those who consider themselves to be intalectually superior (or a know all, if you will) hence why else would they consider themselves to be in a position to criticise? If I was buying one, having driven one every day for the last 2 years, theres no way Iā€™d buy an auto. when I am driving a manual box, I donā€™t approach junctions in top, then go straight to 2 like the opticruse does regardless of wether it needs it or not.I donā€™t change up the box normally then for no reason jump into neutral like the opticruise does.

second I wasnt going to say ā€œcrapā€ I was going to say ā€œ[zb]ā€. is that just fine?second guessing is a two way street.

ā€œknow allā€ FFS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

well if your getting them sort of fuel returns you certainly do know better than an auto box! Couldnā€™t deny that. Iā€™d doubt that your a ā€˜typicalā€™ driver though.

herbertanchovy:
firstly, I can achieve 12.2 mpg with a manual scania. on the same route at the same weight, an automatic is around 9.5.

I did get a chance to check my Mercedes Auto this week, a snapshot running a 20 foot empty box on a motorway does not return 12.2 mpg. Can i ask are you a trade plater?

As a bit of a novice with auto boxes I am getting the picture that truck autos are just like a manual but a box of tricks does the leg work so to speak, if that is the case with the scania and volvo box surely it must be a good idea from the drivers piont of view. I must admit that after all these years gear jammin it was a breath of fresh air to give my left leg and brain a bit of a day off.So I say long live autos!!

The ishift and the reno version doesnā€™t actually use the clutch once moved off. it gets the engine speed exact then zaps it in and out of gear. thatā€™s how it changes so darn quick because itā€™s got that flywheel brake thing to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the revs down. Itā€™s not the retarder thatā€™s doing that.

Give me an auto box any day of the week, effortless.

Though the only problem I have with the Iveco auto, though a fine gearbox it is, is the LAGGGGGGG.

firstly, there is a considerable advantage in an autobox, because there is a big fuel efficiency carrot dangling temptingly before the guvnors eyes.
Secondly, if you take your test in an automatic, then, as with cars youā€™re restricted to an autobox truck.