Auto Box or Manual?

Got a chance to drive a Scania with the opticruise auto box, what a tool.It got me thinking that after all these years of gear jammin I have been missing so much. The truck was a real treat to drive. Will all trucks be this way one day. I do however have a couple of questions, do companies fork out the considerable difference for these boxs for the drivers benefit, ie less stress less work or are they cutting out the muppetry, ie truckers who abuse gearboxes and clutches. Finally a question for the learner schools can you take your test with an auto box truck

Unless I’m mistaken,DAF used to offer the auto box as an option when it first came out,now they offer the manual as an option instead.

However,I’ve just been piloting an FH Globey today,on a 58 plate,with the I-shift.Give me an auto box everytime.

Ken.

Have you ever tried the volvo i-shift little enis?
I`m only asking because i have the opticruise in an 07 scania and i think its pants. The volvo beats it on every count.
Your other question- i think the big fleets buy them to save on abuse of clutches and to level out the mpg.

I had an i-shift Globetrotter on friday and it was a dream to drive, although i was driving around the centre of london, but it just made my life so much easier. (also lets you take better pics without worrying what gear your in)!!! :unamused:

Will all trucks be this way one day

I think the days of the stick shift are numbered - time will tell…

Gotta agree with the above too Glen , the Volvo i-shift is the dogs mate , I would hate to go back to a manual now …tin hat is on :confused:

shade:
Gotta agree with the above too Glen , the Volvo i-shift is the dogs mate , I would hate to go back to a manual now …tin hat is on :confused:

So if I make a bit of profit next year and manage to trade my 54 plate Magnum for a newer model would that have the Ishift box now that Renault use Volvo drivetrains

yup :sunglasses:

Magnum now boasts a bigger cab - the
French manufacturer has raised the height by
20 cm to take it up to the European legal
maximum - thereʼs more storage, better
seating, option of two power outputs (460 bhp
and 500 bhp) and the choice of ZF Ecosplit 16-
speed manual transmission, or Renaultʼs own
version of Volvoʼs I-Shift automated
transmission dubbed Optidriver+. The
Optidriver+ transmission is a two-pedal version,
and Renault has dispensed with a stick-shift,
instead opting for stalk-mounted controls to free
up interior space.

WHO THE HELL LET A MAGNUM PILOT OUT IN A SCANIA!!!

Scania auto is pants :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

VOLVO I SHIFT IS KING :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Why do you need to replace yr Magnum? You ain’t finished bendin that one yet! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Will all trucks be this way one day

I think the days of the stick shift are numbered - time will tell…

I’d agree. Apparently, even though drivers think they know best how to drive, they can’t match the auto for fuel efficiency, and it loks like a lot of fleet owners would rather trust the auto box than the drivers judgement :wink:

Ya bunch of sissies. :laughing:

MR VAIN:
WHO THE HELL LET A MAGNUM PILOT OUT IN A SCANIA!!!

Scania auto is pants :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

VOLVO I SHIFT IS KING :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Why do you need to replace yr Magnum? You ain’t finished bendin that one yet! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I never felt so short driving such a low truck!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

For me it has to be a manual, drove a 13 ton Merc last week with auto box, hated it. Wouldn’t pull of smooth no matter how I caressed the gas. And reversing was just as bad, almost like I put kangaroo juice in the tank.

Had a W reg scania bout 2 years, hated that to. Slowed down ready to stop on island, as you do, saw the gap forming so gently accelerated, by the time it chose the right gear i was in the gap and closing fast.

Only drove the 58 plate MAN round the yard at our place and were’nt overly impressed.

Now, few years ago I had rover 218 with auto box and I loved it, like something of a shovel it was. Haven’t gone back to manual in car since.

little enis:
Finally a question for the learner schools can you take your test with an auto box truck

hi,because of an injury i got to my arm,i recently passed my class 2 in an iveco trakker auto,then class 1 in a daf cf85 auto,(hired off a local company who was very reasonable with his pricing),have been driving buses/coaches for about 9 years too.
i always wanted to drive trucks,and it’s only because of the large move by the manufacturers to autos that i’ve managed to get my licences,…great timing with the economy,but hey,i’ll just keep looking and hopefully things will pick up soon :smiley:

I prefer a manual box every time. Scania’s opticruise is a piece of (beat you to it moderator) although I’m quite happy with volvo’s i-shift, its a nice box.
MAN’s auto isnt too bad once you’ve mastered finding the bite on the throttle when reversing.
I have yet to get better MPG from an auto than I have on a manual. our fleet has both at the moment, the manuals are consistantly 2+ mpg better. However, the big fleets prefer autos as whilst it will make the “good” drivers MPG worse, it will make the “bad” drivers mpg better.

Quinny:
Unless I’m mistaken,DAF used to offer the auto box as an option when it first came out,now they offer the manual as an option instead.

However,I’ve just been piloting an FH Globey today,on a 58 plate,with the I-shift.Give me an auto box everytime.

Ken.

Scania fit opticruise as standard with a manual option available as a no cost downgrade

herbertanchovy:
I prefer a manual box every time.

Honestly, the autos are best. Its only know all drivers who think they can select a more appropriate gear for the conditions that prefer manuals, the reality is borne out by the fact owners are choosing autos.

herbertanchovy:
Scania’s opticruise is a piece of (beat you to it moderator)

And second guessing being censored can also leave you wrong footed too !!!
Crap works just fine here !!! :smiley:

The Scania is not the best auto box to use, we have Renault`s and Dafs and they are far better!!
The intial outlay for a new auto box is about £2000.00 more than a manual but when you consider that a new clutch is between £1500.00- £2000.00 over the life of the truck it can save loads!!

I liked the Scania auto… well, I liked that fact that they left the clutch for fine work and clipping on to trailers, hill starts etc etc…

I’m with the Royal Mail at the moment and they’re moving to an all auto fleet. Mainly the DAF 85CF’s which I like. DAF seem to have smoothed out the slow speed pick-up too, so you’re not bouncing all over the trailer park trying to move around slowly…

I liked the i-shift in the Volvo’s, but have only used them a couple of times, so can’t comment too much on them.

I still get times where I knock the box into manual and pick the gears myself, but on the whole, the auto boxes to a good job. The extra space for your left foot is good too… :wink:

just had a load of 58 plate 75 & 85 tractor units delivered, all automatics.

Quite a big difference between the two models.

Saw a quote from somebody at Stobart group to say they where going back to manuals as they had underestimated their drivers skill levels :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … brand.html

Automatic gearboxes have not improved our fuel consumption," says Stobart. “We underestimated our driver training programme and how good our drivers are. Auto boxes make bad drivers average, but bring the good ones down. We have more good drivers than bad.”