Austria

Off to Austria for first time Monday …any tips advice welcome

This for starters: go-maut.at/portal/portal

Austrians are like Germans, only without the sense of humour. :wink:

Harry Monk:
Austrians are like Germans, only without the sense of humour. :wink:

+1

If your truck is Euro 4 or higher, as well as going to get the Go Box, which you can normally do at or near the services on the border. You’ll need to keep the tickets they gave you when you get the box as evidence it’s for that truck and send off evidence of your Euro emissions, within a so many days of getting your Go Box. If you don’t they’ll fine you eventually. :blush: I did get it all sorted on my next trip to Austria, thanks to the info people posted on here.

Commercial vehicle enforcement officers operate 24 hours, on some motorways, in both directions.
Take the camera for all that scenery.
The meals on the toll roads are not cheap, expect venison with dumplings and red cabbage.
The toilets are spotless, they give you a voucher to spend in the cafe.Toilets are not free.
Clean truckstops with good food.

Winter tyres tyres on the drive axle and snow chains carried on the vehicle.

Mandatory between 1st November and 15th April.

Otherwise: “You must pay”. A lot

They are extremely hot on their traffic enforcement. There are several check points on the motorway network that all HGVs have to drive through, drive over a weigh plate, be measured (electronically for length, width and height) and given a visual check over. A selection then have tachos, paperwork, equipment, etc checked.

Winter tyres must be fitted 15th Nov - 15th Mar and a set of snow chains must be carried. Wheel chocks, a high vis vest for each person, 2 warning triangles, in date fire extinguisher, GB sticker and a first aid kit must also be carried. In terms of paperwork, you must have: Driving licence, CPC card, passport, community authorisation, vehicle logbook, proof of vehicle emissions class, trailer certificate of keeper, insurance certificate, annual test certificates for vehicle and trailer, CMR, letter of authorisation from employer to drive vehicle, letter and form of attestation. Large fines are payable if you are missing any of these.

Lights must be used at all times.

Make sure you have a working Go Box and that the paperwork is sent in afterwards or you will get a large fine (trust me I know!)

HGVs are banned 15:00 Saturday to 22:00 Sunday and all public holidays (of which there is quite a long list). Unless you have a low noise green badge, then you will also be banned from 22:00 to 05:00 every night.

Speed limits are 80k by day and 60k at night and are strictly enforced.

On the positive side the truck stops are free to park. They offer good quality food (at a price!). Toilets and showers are excellent, but have to be paid for.

Good tips from Whelmic, to add about the attestation activity letter, I was fined 2300 Euros for having handwriting on it with a Biro pen by my employer.
They said it was not true that I had not worked for 6 months .I had not driven for months.
Parked up for 7 days, taking out the daily limit from an ATM and using the running money to pay the Police.
I would take a good quality torch with your cab kit and spare batteries.Truck crime is non existent,sleep safe with no diesel fairies or curtain slashers,you will need to show 28 days of tachograph records,or “Zee must pay”.:slight_smile:

Don’t forget your passport.

dogthehunter:
Off to Austria for first time Monday …any tips advice welcome

I’m sure your boss will put you right [OK HAND SIGN]

Night ban is now 8pm to 5am
Since 1 november until 15 april

Back to 2200 from 16 april

Have to disagree with Toby on one thing here … Truck crime .
We parked at St.Polten and one truck had diesel stolen and two others had the pins pulled .
Be aware folks … And do your checks !!

Another thing to remember
If you have the L badge to transit at night
Through innsbruck now and to brenner only allowed if euro 6