Austria trip - help

hi everyone,
Going to vienna for 1st time in 30 years in 18 ton euro 2. Have read about go box but still have a few questions. At a garage, do you inform them where you are going and they give you a price or is it a machine like in Germany? Is your journey timed? Do you have to keep to their route? Any other info would be much appreciated.
Was going to sail into Calais. Have heard that you can’t buy Belgium/Dutch road tax at Elf garage anymore. Any ideas please. Thanks!

you can buy your go box at most services/autohofs near to the border and at the border. you can either pay cash and topup when you need to or have it linked to a fuel card (dkv etc) dont really know about the eurovignette as not done belgium for a couple of years

thevingette is still on sale at theplaces stated by
AGES this site and the go box can befound
in the sticky euro post ,in the go-box site you
can put it into english and learn how to use the box
BUY your box at the austrian border ,why because
they will show you how to use it properly,unlike
the motorway services, any more questions just post them

your best bet for the vingette is Ashford truckstop if your going downthe M20 or the services on the A25 motorway from dunkirque to lille as for austria i cant help as the last time i was there you had to buy it dailly and tick the date boxes think it was 20 Shillings a day

malcolmj:
your best bet for the vingette is Ashford truckstop if your going downthe M20 or the services on the A25 motorway from dunkirque to lille as for austria i cant help as the last time i was there you had to buy it dailly and tick the date boxes think it was 20 Shillings a day

If you go on Monday DO NOT go Dunkerque - Lille. It is a holiday in France and you must stay on corridor !

You can still get the vignette at Transmark (Total) or IDS at Calais.

Austria Go Box was easy to get on my last visit to Austria. I bought mine BEFORE the border where there were signs saying they were for sale. It was all setup for me by the garage although there is not much to setup apart from axles etc… You will LOVE the infernal beep as you traverse Austria ! I eventually put black tape over speaker output so it was not so loud as I kept thinking I had a truck fault!

You can go Dunnkerque, but just dont turn of towards Lille…

I am shipping Dunkerque tomorrow.

Take your UTA card (or similar) into the place you buy it and they can arrange for the tolls to be automatically debited which saves you having to top it up every time you go back.

ISTR that it is 200 euros (each way) to Vienna in an artic. make sure you set the box up correctly for your truck as you will pay too much if you have it set up for an artic.

might be easier if its a one off trip to buy the go box and put some credit on it,it beeps more i think as the credit gets low ,as you go under the motorway bridges which have the equipment to read the box,and you dont need to stick to a set route unless someone knows different.

Fuel in austria is less than germany
around €1.34, ,a liter, if you fill up useing cash
you may find it even better to go off the motorway
to fill up,CAREFULL on the ring road there
are lots of cameras and police, the cameras read
vehicles reg, drive with your lights on,
on the route from PASSAU–SUBBEN
to Vienna they have at least 2 checkpoints
which when open you will be invited
to enter, they are outfitted with weighbridges
which can also check axle weights,
ST Pollten is a good place to stop
its a rosenberg truckstop and if you use it
JOIN the truckers club its free, WHY because
it gets you rebates and extras when used
the food is excellent at these stops.

thanks everyone for the advice,much appreciated.

You can pay so it’s debited off your fuel card or you can Pay As You Go, this works same way as a PAYG phone put credit on and away you go.
Most garages have a chart with the prices on so if for example the chart says:

Suben grenze to Wien e55.00 you will obviously need to put about e120.00 so you have enough to get you there and back.

You will also need to take your logbook (v5) when you go and get your box.

just got back from austria doing bond 22, go boxes are easy to top up just tell the clerk at the border where your going and when your coming back and they will give you an estimated price and just add an extra 20euros to final total.

ps make sure you give them your vehicle reg nnumber as the police are very hot on go boxes

hope this helps :smiley: