Austria, first time

Hello . I have to quote for a job in Lochau. I will be going in a 3.5 tonne LWB. I know that a vignette is applicable, but do you also pay tolls on the motorways? Any other info greatly appreciated. Thank you

No, buy your vignette at the border or the 1st petrol station. No tolls on motorway.

Make sure your not 1 Kg over 3500kg otherwise you need a" go box the " they love pulling 3,5tonner onto the weighbridges

Make sure the vignette is correctly stuck in the windscreen, otherwise the automatic camera system will not pick it up and you could

recieve an expensive begging letter

Make sure you buy one before entering Austria and its stuck in the windscreen

A 10 day ticket costs 8€

Geoff

Thank you for your replies .

Relax, and take the time to enjoy the alpine scenery, the truck control police work all night over there and you will see them on both sides of the road under a large canopy building like the Vosa have in the UK.
The food in the motorway rest areas is very expensive, but if you can afford it, they do a great veal or venison stew, with dumplings and purple cabbage.
The Austrians are very friendly people and will welcome you in their country.

Thank you once again for all your replies. Is it advisable to fit winter tyres ? I meant to add is it a legal requirement

Remember that in Germany you have to record your driving time on one of these:
papierprofi.de/bilder/produk … 309509.jpg

You put your name and surname at the top, 2. is veh reg, 1. is number of the sheet (if you drive for several days), 3 is date and weekday, then you drav a line on this scheme as on the back of the tacho chart, 7 is where you started, 8 is where you finished, 9 is something for trailers, ignore it, and 10 is mileages - start, end and total.

You can buy them, or you can just find them on google and print (I found this, but it’s crap quality, you find better ones).

As you come to German border, you stop and start carrying these records, usually 9 hours is more than enough to cross Germany. Then off the window it goes (metaforically, off course :stuck_out_tongue:)

Off course Polizei will claim that you have to carry 28 days of records, but you don’t, this law applies to you only in Germany. You can argue with them (I went as far as to telling them that “last time Germans were making law in Belgium was 1944” and when they told me “if you go to some country and you know that there is some law in this country, you should observe that law in advance” i told them “should I start to drive on the left, because this is the law in UK and I am going there soon?” - eh, I love trolling) but in worst case they can fine you 35 euros for not having full records with you. But usually as long as you have kontrolbuch covering you for the time you were in Germany and weren’t driving for too long (they can check with the ferry company if necessary, altough they do only in extreme cases (accidents etc), you should be all right.

To cover our arses, our boss usually gives us a letter stating when we left Scotland and when we had the last weekly rest before our trip.

As for winter tires - well, it’s advisable, I once struggled in Switzerland or Austria on all season tires - I was stuck in the valley where main road was going up in both directions… Luckily there was some side road going along the valley and I managed to get out that way… But I doubt if winter tires would be much help in that situation - it was just that I was empty and had not enough weight on drive axle…

To be legal - you should have at least all season tires fitted, there are a good option for winter in UK as well, if you have them already, don’t waste money to buy winter ones just for that one trip, better buy yourself a set of snow chains in case that you got into really deep ■■■■ :slight_smile:

Have a safe journey

orys:
Remember that in Germany you have to record your driving time on one of these:
papierprofi.de/bilder/produk … 309509.jpg

You put your name and surname at the top, 2. is veh reg, 1. is number of the sheet (if you drive for several days), 3 is date and weekday, then you drav a line on this scheme as on the back of the tacho chart, 7 is where you started, 8 is where you finished, 9 is something for trailers, ignore it, and 10 is mileages - start, end and total.

Here is some help for you orys, I noticed a couple of inaccuracies in your explanation of which information is to be written in the various boxes on the form.

Anything in square brackets [■■■] is my attempt at adding something helpful.

Top box (without number) is surname, first name and address of driver
2. is vehicle reg

1. is ‘sheet’ number
    [The journey record sheets should be consecutively numbered just after the letters “Nr” ]

2. is day and date
    4, 5 and 6 are for a continuous line to indicate the driver’s activities over a 24hr period
    [There is an explanation of the exact meanings at the bottom of the sheet.]

3. is place of start of duty [that day.]

4. is place of end of duty [that day.]

5. is authorised GVW of the vehicle including trailer

6. Kilometer reading
    bei Fahrtende = at the end of the journey [that day.]
    bei Fahrtbeginn = at the start of the journey [that day.]
    Gesamtfahrstrecke = total distance [that day.]

Stundenzahl = total hours [of the various activities.]

Bemerkungen und Unterschrift = Observations / remarks and signature

At the very bottom of the form:

Erläuterungen = Explanations [of 4, 5 and 6]

1. = Ruhezeiten = Rest and breaks
  2. = Lenkzeiten = Driving time
  3. = Sonstige Arbeitszeiten einschl. Arbeitsbereitschaft = Other work including POA

==============================

The Germans can be quite err…mmmm… Germanic ( :wink: ) when it comes to forms, so I’d advise that all the boxes are filled in so as to save on possible delays. :grimacing:

Esser, if you see a dark coloured van, similar to a people carrier with BAG written on it, they are the commercial vehicle enforcement.Be prepared to stop, they may have a lollipop style stick, at night they have a beacon torch to stop you.

I assume you have to adhere to HGV rules and do 4.5 then break 4.5 more then 11 hrs break ?

If i was going i would drive at night, you still get the controls, but not so much as in the day, but then you will not see all that scenery. :cry:

esser:
I assume you have to adhere to HGV rules and do 4.5 then break 4.5 more then 11 hrs break ?

Yes, but only in Germany :slight_smile: So since 9 hours is more than enough to cross it, well… :slight_smile: And if you got stuck, you can always do another 45 and drive for another hour. And please note, Polizei is also willing to see that charts when they stop you. And when they stop you, do not stop on hard shoulder, just follow them to the nearest safe place.

Dave thanks for picking my mistakes, I learned something as well…