Australian Super Road Trains for UK?

Some people would like to see Super Road Trains used on UK’s Motorways. Road Train Terminals would be built adjacent to the current Motorway network so that they would not need to use “ordinary” roads.

You’re the Professional Driver - What do you think ?

outbacktowing.tripod.com/

Or rather than waste money on it, just invest in the current railway system. Should do the same job.

damoq:
Or rather than waste money on it, just invest in the current railway system. Should do the same job.

Yes - extend Truck on Train Eurotunnel from Ashford to Glasgow.

Stan Robinsons views on this made my mind up a long time ago.
He stated the running costs of a standard 44 ton lorry, And then the costs of a road train.
He showed how much more profitable the road train would be over a standard 44 ton lorry.
But running both vehicles paid the same wages. £500 per week.
I think we should go back to 38 ton, and 40’ trailers.
However, I’d love to have a go in one. :smiley:

In my opinion the roads arnt big/long enough in the uk when compared with Aussie land which has majorly vast open spaces. Would be a waste of money in the uk to build a specific road train road. In Australia nobody would bat an eyelid at at a 1000 mile road for a huge dirty great big truck, in the uk you would have all the Eco friendly activists out in force defending the squirrels.

damoq:

Turkeys voting for christmas.No surprise you never hear train drivers saying we need less trains and more freight going by road. :unamused:

60 t gross drawbar outfits for general work and 80 t gross doubles A trains for trunking would be no problem and no different to what we’ve got now with lines of seperate trucks.Just more fuel efficient with more payload capacity.

Didn’t they try this before “iv got stan robinson” in my head

It was two artic trailer linked up but it didn’t make on the road for some reason

Found a pic

Legend_Scania:
Didn’t they try this before “iv got stan robinson” in my head

It was two artic trailer linked up but it didn’t make on the road for some reason

Exactly because the rail freight lot hate them.Because it makes road transport as,if not more,efficient than rail transport. :bulb:

Found this topic

Bit of a intresting read

traffic-answers.co.uk/forum/ … pic=6200.0

Never happen here as long as you have a hole in your arse…down under lads there night out is 3-4 weeks at a time. :sunglasses:

Hiya…i think stan only wanted to run the double from taunton area/ stafford to glasgow.
just doing depot to depot work and on a night trunk arrangment.
there was another company from the newcastle area with the same outfit. they was red with
yellow wheels, i keep thinking direct transport but thats wrong.
John

3300John:
Hiya…i think stan only wanted to run the double from taunton area/ stafford to glasgow.
there was another company from the newcastle area with the same outfit. they was red with
John

Hiya just come to me Denby haulage but i don,t know if they are from newcastle maybe more south
someone will know.

then what happens when they close the motorway all night for their tea break, errr roadworks ■■? and these get diverted off onto A and even B roads ■■?

3300John:

3300John:
John

Hiya just come to me Denby haulage but i don,t know if they are from newcastle maybe more south
someone will know.

If you have a nose on that link I posted some pics of Denby’s one

Didn’t stobart try this idea onces remember seening a pic of it maybe Gill has a pic

Denby’s is based in Lincolnshire

Legend_Scania:
Found a pic

The roads will be able to cope just fine… I would be able to spin that around anywhere :laughing:

3300John:

3300John:
John

someone will know.

Denby are based near the Lincoln bypass, their setup is slightly different to the Stan Robinson version, met all the turning circle stuff and was tested at Mira where it was shown to be safer under braking than standard kit, he was all set for taking one out on the roads but plod stopped it leaving the depot. Youtube link shows the company vid made about the eco link

youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZiyLeafEo

If the government was really useful, the trains from Calais were taken the huge number of foreign lorries up to North, instead let them running up on the M1/M6.
Switzerland put the German-Italian transit onto trains. Works well.
Hungary put the traffic from the Balkan to Germany onto trains. Works well.

So, what are we waiting for■■?